how to entertain 7yo and 9yo on a 10-hour layover in Chicago on a Saturday evening - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH is taking our two boys (7yo and 9yo) abroad to visit relatives. Their evening flight into Chicago got canceled so they got moved to an afternoon flight. So they will now have a 10-hour layover in Chicago on a Saturday from 3 p.m. to 1 a.m.  Any ideas for things to do in Chicago during that time? It seems all the museums in downtown close at 5 or so on Saturdays, so that's not an option. DH is thinking about taking them downtown via the subway to the John Hancock building and then out to eat somewhere downtown. Any other ideas about how to entertain 2 kids on a Saturday evening in downtown Chicago (or anywhere else in Chicago accessible by public transportation)? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cyclemama

#2 of 4 Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Hi there,

The subway in Chicago is called the 'El' (can't have you sounding like tourists now), but you can catch that at the airport and head to the Hancock building as your hubby said.  That whole area is called the Magnificent Mile - lots of upscale stores and a mall called Watertower Place.  The American Girl store is right in that area as well.  But also just a couple blocks from there is Gino's East - you must go there and have a traditional Chicago pizza.  It's probably a 5 minute walk from the Hancock building.  There can be long waits, so I'd say to get there early-ish.  And you can write on the walls - kids love it.  Bring white markers.  I don't think you can be in Chicago even for just a few hours without going to Gino's.  You want the pan/stuffed pizza.

And then take a walk up/down Michigan Avenue.  You will smell something wonderful and it's another Chicago favorite - Garrett's popcorn.  There may even be a line for the most wonderful carmel corn.  Mmmmm...  A snack for your flight. 

Across from the Hancock Bldg/Watertower Place is the actual Water Tower Building - the only building that survived the great Chicago fire.  There's also a little museum adjacent to it, but like you said, it will probably be closed.  Horses and buggies line up there to give people rides around the city, and if they've never done that before it might be fun for them. 

It's more than a walk (or maybe a long walk) but if you keep going south down Michigan Avenue you'll cross the Chicago River and you can go to the new Milennium Park.  You've probably seen pictures of the Bean sculpture.  I think there is also an outdoor ice rink there that your boys may be able to skate on.  Perhaps you can look up the specs on the Milennium Park website, as I haven't been skating there. 

So here's what I'd do...  I'd take the El downtown, depending on the time, go to Gino's and have an early pizza, take a $10 cab ride to Milennium park and skate.  By the time you're done it'll be dark and if you have time the view from the Hancock building will be much better than during the day.  Walk/cab Michigan Ave time permitting and I think you'll have a great evening.  Be careful if you plan to take the El back to the airport because some lines stop running late at night.

Have a great trip and give Chicago a big hug for me! 

#3 of 4 Old 01-31-2011, 05:34 AM

I second ptimonhill ideas. From O'Hare, take the blue line (train station is located inside airport) downtown to Clark/Lake. It should take about 45 minutes. From there, either walk east to Michigan ave or catch a cab.

Just reverse this to get back to O'Hare.

autismribbon.gif

#4 of 4 Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. DH ended up taking the boys to the John Hancock building and then walking around Michigan Avenue. The boys said the top of the Hancock building was spectacular at night, and there was very little wait. They had to skip Gino's b/c one of our boys is highly allergic to dairy, so they settled for a sandwich shop. The boys thought riding the subway was very cool and they can't wait to show me the map they got!

Cyclemama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page