ICAN 2011 conference--I need your help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN) is holding their biannual conference in St Louis this year!  There is an awesome line up of some of the greatest speakers on birth including:

Pam England, author of Birthing from Within
Henci Goer, author of The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Gail Tully, of Spinning Babies
Dr George Macones, chair of ob/gyn at Wash U and prolific researcher on vbac
Dr Mike Vlastos, perinatologist at SLU med school and St Mary's on risks of cesareans to babies
Micky Jones, a doula who will speak on how to avoid burnout
Isa Herrera, physical therapist who specializes in female pain, author of Ending Female Pain
Maria Carella is doing an art workshop
Dr Poppy Daniels drpoppy.com

plus activism/legislative sessions

and many more!!

You can visit STL ICAN's website for more info and registration. Hurry to catch the early bird rate, it ends Feb 9th for ICAN subscribers (members)!!! (it's easy to subscribe, details on STL ICAN's site) Btw, the registration price has been kept low--we want everyone to come!   http://stlouis.ican-online.org/  Also--I need your help with this!!!-- would you consider sharing this with anyone you know that might be interested?  And maybe even on Facebook or Twitter?  This conference isn't just for VBAC and cesarean mommas, it's for anyone who supports normal birth!  It really is a honor that St Louis is hosting the conference this year and a great opportunity (and rare opportunity!) for people in our area to hear some of the best birth speakers.  

The STL chapter of ICAN has been a tremendous help and support to me after two unnecessary cesareans. I believe that the more we educate ourselves about birth, the better equipped we will be to stop the cesarean epidemic and promote normal birth.  I hope to see you at the conference! 
#2 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM

I'm happy to share the news--but when is ICAN going to post session details?  It's getting late....I won't register before I see how it's set up for the days and all.  I can't even find out if partial registration is allowed (many such conferences allow ppl to register for only one day, at some kind of discount.)  I know St L ICAN to be run by an amazing bunch of women...and I'm sure the conference will be great...but I need to know more, ASAP.

thanks!

#3 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariB View Post

I'm happy to share the news--but when is ICAN going to post session details?  It's getting late....I won't register before I see how it's set up for the days and all.  I can't even find out if partial registration is allowed (many such conferences allow ppl to register for only one day, at some kind of discount.)  I know St L ICAN to be run by an amazing bunch of women...and I'm sure the conference will be great...but I need to know more, ASAP.

thanks!

HI HariB, thanks for asking!  The schedule will be up very soon.  If you have a specific speaker questions please pm me and I will send you my phone number as I am the speaker chair so may be able to answer your questions :) 
As for a per day discount, we discussed it, but cannot afford to do it.    We decided to offer the conference at an extraordinarily low price to everyone.  ICAN is a non profit w/ no paid staff---we're all volunteers.   We are not even making any money on the conference...just trying to break even.   So please understand we wish we could offer the conference for FREE to everyone.  The information is so important that we really want it out there!  

#4 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 AM

I'm very excited to go!

leahmarie likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks, MommyDOK--

Fair enough about the fee--and you are right, it is already a really low price, especially w/advance registration.  I guess that is something to go on for now--and I can look at the schedule when it's up to see if one day or the other/s look better.  Not sure I'll be able to come for all of it, though the fact that it's so close to home (No hotel!  no real travel) sure is nice.

#6 of 7 Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Last day for early registration!!!!    You won't want to miss this conference! 

#7 of 7 Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tried to find other MDCers in my state who are going to the ICAN conference.  Nice to see some in the MO tribe.  :) I'm excited about the conference.  For those that asked earlier, session descriptions are online now.  http://conference.ican-online.org/sessions.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page