Anyone have experience with Northshore University Health System/Midwest Center for Women's Healthcare - Chicago? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Hello everyone. My husband and I are expecting our first child in September. I would really prefer to have a homebirth with a midwife, but my husband feels more secure about us delivering in a hospital setting. We are currently with an OB at Northshore, where we both go for our regular healthcare (we really like the practice for our own care).

However, I'd like to hear if anyone has had any experience with them for pregnancy and delivery. I would prefer to deliver in the Family Birthing Center at Highland Park Hospital, having as close to a natural/homebirth experience as possible. If anyone has anything to share, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, does anyone know how I can find out the c-section, episiotomy, epidural, etc. rates for the hospital? And if anyone has experience with Evanston Hospital labor and delivery as well, I'd like to hear about it please, since that's our back up choice of hospital within the practice.

Thanks in advance!

Amanda

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a great delivery at Evanston Hospital, with a midwife. I'm not sure about Highland Park's hospital, but I know that there are two groups of CNMs that deliver out of Evanston, so the L&D staff are pretty used to dealing with natural childbirth.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 AM

I had my first son at Evanston Hospital. I believe there's several CNM's that deliver there, but I don't believe any deliver at Highland Park. 

I've found with delivering at Evanston Hospital, is that it really, really comes down to who your healthcare provider is to determine your experience. I would highly recommend going with a CNM to ensure the most intervention free birth. 

autismribbon.gif

#4 of 5 Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

I'm glad to hear about positive experiences there. I've been kind of wary of hospital delivery after reading Naomi Wolf's Misconceptions back in college, but I'm learning more and more that experience is really driven by the particular doctor/midwife one chooses.

I think our OB is good and on board with our natural birthing experience, but I think I'm going to meet with the practice midwife so I can compare both styles of care. I'm also adamant about getting a doula - does anyone have any recommendations for doulas in our area? And what point during the pregnancy should I start looking for one?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 5 Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Do you live in Rogers Park? If so, you may want to look at the Swedish Covenant Midwives. I'm planning on using them, and have heard nothing but great things. I also know a great doula named Patricia Hyland. She's one of the best in the business. Good luck with your pregnancy,and congratulations!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page