Help finding OB/CNM in Chicago area - for a friend of mine! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A dear friend of mine who lives in Chicago is having a hard time finding a provider.  She's still in her first trimester but she's already decided she'd like a NCB.  She saw an OB once and didn't like him at all.  So she found a group of midwives but they told her they can't take her because of her weight.  They did some blood tests while she was there and they said her blood sugar was high and she has GD.  However my friend said she'd had her blood sugar checked before pregnancy and she was totally normal and healthy and the midwife refused to consider the fact that my friend had had a big sugary breakfast just prior to the appt and was also really really upset during the entire appt since she was told right from the start they wouldn't be able to see her due to being overweight. 

Then later she had some bleeding and had to go to the ER.  The midwife group is temporarily seeing her until she can get a new OB and they never even called her back  :(  Oh and they told her no midwife group in the area will see her since she's overweight and has now been classified as GD!

This doesn't seem right to me at all.  Certainly there must be someone in the area?  I don't live there so all I can do is post here and hope one of you can help.  She's even open to the idea of homebirth if she truly can't find a NCB hospital provider. 

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM

Try West Suburban Midwife Associates in Oak Park? http://www.westsubmidwives.com/

Ghanaian-American afro.jpg product & experience designer. Wife to geek.gif web geek & soon-to-be SAHD. Mother to 2 yr old reading geek , pregnant with boc.gif future geek.

#3 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM

The midwives at UIC are awesome too, I'm seeing Kim Lindsey for my birth in June.

#4 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 PM

I call BS - I was around 250 lbs. when I got pregnant this time and I'm having a homebirth with a CNM.  She has me on a strict diet but she's still seeing me!

The midwife group I saw with my other 2 kids isn't around anymore (Midwest Midwifery) but a few of the midwives are in practice with OBs now.  They're called Midwest OB/GYN & Midwifery, out of Alexian Bros. in Elk Grove Village.  I don't know if they've changed their policies, but they were size-friendly when I saw them for my 5 and 2 year olds.  http://www.midwestobgynmidwifery.com/home/

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#5 of 6 Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Ditto on having her see the West Suburban Midwives in Oak Park. Its only 15 min west of Chicago. They're a WONDERFUL group of women!

treehugger.gif wife (30) to DH (30) and mother todust.gif Maia Solis  waterbirth.jpg (8-29-07) and hearts.gifAria Rain  (11-13-11). Expecting baby #3 at the beginning of May 2014.

lactivist.gif     bfinfant.gif    saynovax.gif    femalesling.GIF      cd.gif    toddler.gif  

#6 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Ditto on West Sub or UIC

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page