Natural Birth in NE Kansas City - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good morning! I am pregnant for my first time and so excited. The main thing that has me worried right now is all the stories I hear of push back from doctors and hospital staff that people seem to get when they are wanting a natural birth and following a birth plan at a hospital. I live in NE Kansas City MO, closest to St Luke's on Barry Road but also close to Liberty. I've looked at Research Medical and would prefer to go there because they have midwives but unfortunately the drive would be 40 minutes barring any traffic issues. I expect to have very quick labors (3-4 hours) since I take after my mother in build and puberty age, etc. I'm afraid of the 40 minute drive, especially because I can't plan for when baby decides it's time to come, rush hour or no!

So my question is really for any experiences people have had while giving birth at St Lukes Barry, North KC Hospital, Liberty, and possibly Research Medical with having a natural birth. How were you treated? Were your wishes treated with respect? How was the overall experience?

I'm normally not a fearful person, so I'm trying to leave fear out of my decision here. It's hard though because the mama bear anger/fear is already kicking in, I'm protective of my little one and want to ensure that my desires for the pregnancy are followed unless there is a medical reason to deviate that's been discussed with my husband and myself. I also believe that the medical field has a place in birthing babies, even though they seem to be overbearing, because when they're needed I can't imagine having to travel (i.e. if I gave birth at home or at a stand alone birthing center I would be worried about being too far from a hospital if something happened). I had a dream last night that baby was taken from me after birth, they didn't let me breast feed, and gave him the hep B vaccine, etc. So it just shows where my fears are right now lol...on the upside in my dream my labor was painless and I could hardly even tell I'd had a baby! Woohoo lol.

So...I'm really interested in your experiences with hospitals in this area. I can find some KC hospitals discussed here but most are in OP or Johnson County, way out of my area. I appreciate any input.

Thanks so much!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page