Chicago Suburbs-Elmhurst Hospital? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have experience with Elmhurst Hospital?  Their website says all the right things about being child centered, and they have all sorts of checklists for you to tell them your preferences during different stages of labor and such, but I don't know anyone that has delivered there.  All my friends either delivered in downtown Chicago or at Hinsdale Hospital. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 02:42 PM

The new hospital they are building is supposed to have state of the art technology and be one of the leading maternity wards in the area.  Sorry I do not have any direct experience.  Wishing you luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 PM

I have a student who's delivering there. All I've heard is that they have IV as a procedure so I wonder if they won't let you eat through your labor. I have heard great things about Hinsdale and West Sub's ABC room.

Lucy Coria CBrE
Brio Birth Childbirth Educator
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM

I don't know much about Elmhurst, but I delivered both my boys in West Sub's ABC rooms with West Suburban Midwives (http://www.westsubmidwives.com/). Both were awesome births, DS2 was a water birth. You have to work with WS Midwives or Oak Park Midwife to deliver in the ABC rooms. Rooming in (bed sharing), no-circumcision, exclusive breastfeeding, no vaccinations, vitamin K, eye goop etc were all no problem and not even blinked at. I highly recommend West Subs ABC rooms.

Let me know if you want more info.

And welcome to MDC! :D

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

I strongly recommend that NO ONE EVER GOES to Elmhurst Hospital.  Sorry, was that too strong?  I live about a block from there and will now travel out of my way to go anywhere else.  Here are my reasons: 

1. Their billing is HORRIBLE.  Now, you may think this isn't a very big deal, that's what I used to think.  But, I started getting bills which just said pay this amount.  There was no date of service, no description, no patient name, nothing.  So, I would wait on them and and have to see what my insurance paid and then match them up to what my insurance paid and said I owed.  It was a complete disaster.  Also, I went in for ONE blood test for early pregnancy (quantitative HCG and Progesterone) during business hours, no rush, per doctor's orders.  They charged my insurance (and my insurance (BCBS) paid) over $670!  And, now I owe almost $60 of that.  I quietly asked around because I feel like my insurance was scammed and if I complain to my insurance, they won't pay the bill "until it all gets settled."  In the meantime, the hospital will bill me the full amount which I would have to pay or risk it going on my credit report! 

2. They have a very high rate of C-Section.  In the last pregnancy, I started to go to a doc that delivers at Elmhurst because they were so close.  Well, I said I wanted a TOL and hopefully a VBAC and he literally laughed in my face.  He said he would never do a VBAC and besides the point Elmhurst Hospital doesn't allow them.  Now, I don't know if Elmhurst Hospital has an official no-VBAC policy or not, but they're definitely NOT VBAC friendly. 

3. There are no midwives at Elmhurst Hospital.  Now why is that? 

4. The hospital layout is extremely confusing.  In all fairness, I suspect their new facility (whenever it's finished) will be laid out better.   

Also, in all fairness, everyone I met at the hospital itself was generally nice. 

So, there you go.  My opinion.  Personally, for female issues I'll continue to travel into the city.  It's a pain, but worth it, IMO. 

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Here is some info on c-section rates at local hospitals. West Sub's rates include regular L&D and the ABC rooms. West Sub Midwives c-section rate in 2009 was 7.9% 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 PM

I have not . . .but if it is possible for you to go to Hinsdale, I can tell you I had an excellent experience there, and will most likely be going back.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the comments everyone.  I'm going to ask my current OB some more pointed questions about her practice and what the new Elmhurst Hospital might have, and then also check into West Suburban Woman's health that has midwifes that deliver at Hinsdale Hospital (there seems to be some good reviews on here and on the bump).  The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards a midwife, but still want a doctor and hospital there in case I need them.  I'm still a few months away from even trying to conceive so I've got some time.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 AM

You can have a MW in a hospital-- and doctors are always close by there. 

Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 AM

I would stay away from Elmhurst hospital.  I would only go there in an extreme emergency, and I grew up in Elmhurst.

My sister just delievered with a midwife at Hinsdale (well actually she delievered the baby in her car LOL but she was meant to be at the hospital).  And yes, the midwife has an OB backup and you deliver at the hospital, so don't worry about that.  I've heard great things about the Hinsdale Hospital.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM

I had my son at Elmhurst hospital.  

I agree with the billing....they tried to bill me 2x for an epidural...i never had.  

They billed me for a pedi, that never saw my son. 

Thinking back I do think they started the pit too soon.   and kept asking me and asking me if I wanted pain meds and looked at me like I was nuts when I kept saying no.   I did like the nurses tho.   Even tho I got yelled at b/c I took my DS with me in my arms to fill my water cup up and they were like you can't walk around holding him.  You just gave birth!!!! 

The rooms were great tho.  My room was bigger than my whole house!!!

You can have a midwife at a hospital.   I had a MW w/my girls and I delivered at Alexian Bros.

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM

I had one of my DDs at Alexian Bros with a MW.  Loved that hospital.  The group that I worked with (Midwest Midwifery) is sadly gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni1894 View Post

I

You can have a midwife at a hospital.   I had a MW w/my girls and I delivered at Alexian Bros.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Wow, timely! I just delivered my baby five months ago at Hinsdale Hospital using the OMG Midwives (who work with Dr. Stephen Daube, OB) http://omgwh.com/

I am pregnant again and thought - hey, the new Elmhurst Hospital is opening soon, and their website makes the new birthing center sound wonderful... I noticed Dr. Daubbe also was listed on their website, so I thought maybe I could have the same team at a closer hospital to my home. Well, I called OMG Midwives just now, and they said Dr. Daubbe was no longer working with Elmhurst. So Hinsdale it is - it really was a great experience, and the midwives he works with (Beth Helmsley-Smith, Maureen, etc. are great.)

Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Wait, was your sis right outside the hospital, in the parking lot?  I feel like I just heard this story IRL.  Can't remember where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

My sister just delievered with a midwife at Hinsdale (well actually she delievered the baby in her car LOL but she was meant to be at the hospital).  And yes, the midwife has an OB backup and you deliver at the hospital, so don't worry about that.  I've heard great things about the Hinsdale Hospital.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

I had one of my DDs at Alexian Bros with a MW.  Loved that hospital.  The group that I worked with (Midwest Midwifery) is sadly gone now.

That is who I used for my ODD.....some of the MW branched out on their own...I can't remember their group name....  Janet delivered YDD! 

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
Old 05-17-2011, 03:29 PM

Yes-- Therese Doyle went to another place, then to OMG, but now she is gone.  I heard she is working part time in Mex.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni1894 View Post

That is who I used for my ODD.....some of the MW branched out on their own...I can't remember their group name....  Janet delivered YDD! 

Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

Wait, was your sis right outside the hospital, in the parking lot?  I feel like I just heard this story IRL.  Can't remember where.

Not right outside the hospital, but close by in a bank parking lot. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 AM

I'm curious as to what you have decided to do.

I am pregnant with my second child, i had my first child with the west suburban midwives - i absolutely LOVED my experience with them. But, i now live a few doors down from the new elmhurst hospital and I am wondering if there are any midwives like the west sub midwives that practice out of elmhurst?! the location of the oak park hospital is not ideal for me. Hinsdale would even be closer than oak park. Who did you end up going with and are  you enjoying your experience with them? THANKS!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM

FYI and update to anyone else searching on this topic: the West Sub Midwives have moved to Elmhurst Hospital, where there are also 2 alternative birthing rooms with tubs.  I delivered my first with them at West Sub Hospital, and I am changing medical groups to follow them over to the new hospital in Elmhurst.  They tell me they love the new hospital and the nurses are great.

User Tag List