Affordable Homebirth Midwife in Des Moines Area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am about 8 weeks pregnant and have had my heart set on a homebirth after two hospital births.  I have never checked in to prices, but from reading here, I gathered the average price was around 3,000.  That is something we can afford, with careful planning.  I had a consultation with Cosette Boon and have talked with Dana Ericson over the phone, and their fees are both 4500.  Dana was clear it was due about a month before the baby was due, Cosette did not say (but I didn't ask either) when the fee would be due.  4500 would be a HUGE stretch for us, I'm not sure we could do it.  We have 1000 in emergency savings that we don't touch, ever.  I might consider it for this (that's how badly I DON'T want another hospital birth), but that still leaves 3500 we would have to come up with before November, that's still $500 a month.

I have an appointment set up with Sheryl Puderbaugh but her secretary could not tell me anything as far as insurance coverage (am I right in assuming no homebirth midwife at least in this area will take insurance in the traditional way, patients will have to wait to be reimbursed?), what the fees would be, pretty much just said "Sheryl will go over that in the consultation." to just about any question I had.

Those are the only three midwives I'm aware of in the area.  I do know of Carrie Anne Ryan (sp?) and met with her with my 2nd when she still had her birth center but did not click.  IIRC, her fee was $3500.  A friend of mine used her and from things she said about Carrie Anne, we would not be a good match.  I'm sure she is a very skilled midwife, but not the right midwife for me, kwim? 

#2 of 3 Old 04-29-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Updating my own thread. I had my consult with Sheryl and she is an in network provider for my insurance!! I cannot express how happy I am about this, it makes a home birth not only possible but without great financial strain on us. She is also very personable and i feel a great fit for us, I don't feel like I'm going with her just because I have no other options or the lesser of two evils.
#3 of 3 Old 05-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Great!! How does payment wok with Sheryl? Does she file to insurance first?

Baby on the hip, boob in the mouth, seat to the rear, sleeping next to mama! Loving every day as a SAHM to my only, B.W.A.H born 4.1.08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page