Still looking for a vaccine-friendly doc in central IL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for a doc anywhere in central IL that's open to delayed vax to not vaccinating. I can't find anyone in my area that'll accept my kids. Does anyone know of anyone that's open in Peoria, Springfield, anywhere? I'm getting frustrated and to the point where there's no where I can turn except the emergency room when they need it. I'm just hurt by some of the docs in this area that are supposed to be vax-friendly or I've been told are vax friendly. Thanks for any advice, I'd really like to be able to send my child to pre-k but if I can't find anyone it looks like I'll have to hold off cause I can't get him a physical anywhere. What happened to "Do no harm"? Seems like they're doing more harm than good to these  kids by refusing to see them.

#2 of 6 Old 07-16-2011, 01:20 PM

We see Dr Halperin at Methodist at Allen Rd in Peoria. We delay vaxes, but I know people who go there and don't vax. He's very open to whatever. He's also super pro-breastfeeding and isn't a secret foreskin retractor (though some of the NPs there are). I've also heard good things about Dr MacLaughlin (sp?) and Dr Conklin (family practice) as far as being open to alternative vaxing.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

I really wish I could see Dr. Halperin but he's still not covered under my insurance. I was wondering if you are talking about Dr. Conklin that's a DO? If so, I scheduled an appt with him since he is covered and my friend is going to schedule an appt w/ him also if mine goes smoothly. If not, is it a different Dr. Conklin? Apparently there's 2 in Peoria. Thanks for all the info btw, I've really been upset about this whole situation and knowing there's good recommendations out there have really set my mind at ease!

#4 of 6 Old 08-18-2011, 07:33 PM

When I met with Dr. Ismael (also Methodist at Allen Rd), she was open to different options. Ultimately, I am vaxxing with the traditional American schedule, so I can't say whether she followed through with what she said in the beginning.

That said, I really really like her. I like that she is a young doctor and my kids can grow with her. Great bedside manner, never seems to rush me out. If the other doctor (also at Methodist) isn't on your insurance, I don't know if she will be.

#5 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try some of the quick care places. Much cheaper than the emergency room.

Since many in Peoria have cat insurance that doesn't cover vaxs it's pretty common to say you will get vaxs at the health dept. For all il schools my kids have attended, i was able to just type up a vax waiver

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Just wondering if you had any success finding a doctor. I'm searching in B-N area, but keep hitting dead-ends.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page