anyone near Crystal Lake, IL? looking to make irl friends - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

anyone nearby? I'd love to meet and make new friends. My family and I just  moved to the area and I'm trying to find new ways to meet people with shared interests.

I'm a 51 yr old stay at home mom with 2 boys, ages 8 & 9.5. Just finished up an incredible farming/homesteading experience in Wisconsin and struggling with being in the suburbs.

Would very much love to meet people interested in natural herbs - gathering, making medicinals and  homecare products. I enjoy making cheese, soap, and tons of gluten-free foods from scratch. Reading. Taking care of animals of all kinds. Hiking, exploring.

Could you please post to this thread or send a pm if this sounds interesting and you are nearby?

thanks!

Cathy

#2 of 4 Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathleenc View Post

Hi there,

anyone nearby? I'd love to meet and make new friends. My family and I just  moved to the area and I'm trying to find new ways to meet people with shared interests.

I'm a 51 yr old stay at home mom with 2 boys, ages 8 & 9.5. Just finished up an incredible farming/homesteading experience in Wisconsin and struggling with being in the suburbs.

Would very much love to meet people interested in natural herbs - gathering, making medicinals and  homecare products. I enjoy making cheese, soap, and tons of gluten-free foods from scratch. Reading. Taking care of animals of all kinds. Hiking, exploring.

Could you please post to this thread or send a pm if this sounds interesting and you are nearby?

thanks!

Cathy

Hi Cathy!  How wonderful to "meet" you!  I am in Arlington Heights, so not too terribly far from Crystal Lake!  I am 59, and the mother of four grown children.  I am also very much into herbs, and have been for many, many years.  I have led a lot of herb walks through local forest preserves and have taught a lot of workshops on making and using traditional herbal medicines.  Like you, I am also a soapmaker!  I sell through my website, as well as at occasional craft fairs and such.

I am an RN who has worked in labor & delivery and ER, and was a homebirth midwife for almost twenty years.  At age 53 I decided to go to law school and am now an Illinois-licensed attorney in private practice.

I would love to get to know you!

Valerie

#3 of 4 Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Hi! I'm Sam! I'm in West Dundee if you wouldn't feel weird hanging out with a younger mom (I'm 22 and have a 2 year old.) I'm dreaming of homesteading some day, so I'd love to hear about your experience. As of now, I make most of my cleaning/cosmetic products (lotion, lip balm, shampoo, sunscreen, laundry detergent, deodorant, etc.) I've been wanting to make soap for a while. I even bought all the ingredients. I'm just afraid of working with lye while my toddler is running circles around my legs. So I'm patiently waiting for the day when someone wants to take him out for a little while so I can try it. I also recently started brewing my own beer. I would love to get together some time. 

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#4 of 4 Old 10-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Hi, I'm in McHenry (I'm Sam's older sister) I don't make my own stuff (Sam does it for me) but I do have a 1 year old and am interested in faming and animals. We are hoping to move to the country (in Oregon) and start a dog rescue. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page