Declining GBS testing AND IV antibiotics AND blood cultures of baby at Evanston Hospital? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to be birthing in a few weeks with Debbie Lesnik and the other mws in her group at Evanston Hospital.  I'd really like to just avoid all the craziness surrounding GBS.  Has anyone done this?  I've already declined the GBS testing, so that I can avoid the IV in labor, but then I think they'll still want to test the baby.  Can I refuse that too?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Are you assuming that you're positive? Because I was negative, didn't need the abx, and didn't get an IV of any kind during labor. I always thought if you refused the test that they would strongly suggest (require?) that you have the abx, just in case.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I've always been positive in the past.  I considered doing the testing with lots of garlic and hibiclens beforehand, but I'm worried it still wouldn't work.  So far, when I talked to Debbie, she allowed me to skip the testing so that I can skip the IV, but they'll want to test the baby.  I'd like to just skip it all.  With my last birth, I had the IV, but baby was born less than 4 hours after it was started so he had to have the blood cultures done anyway.  Plus he wound up with some GI issues that I think could have had something to do with the antibiotics.  So, since my labors have been getting shorter each time (this is baby #4), I have a feeling we'd miss the 4 hour mark again.  So, that would mean another unnecessary dose of antibiotics on top of the blood cultures.  If I skip the testing, at least we can avoid the IV.  Also, I've never had any other risk factors for the baby: my water has never broken before pushing, baby and I have never had fevers, the mws don't do cervical checks often, if at all, etc.  

But, I'd also like to avoid taking a whole bunch of blood from my tiny newborn.  It just seems so ridiculous to me when we could just observe the baby, especially since a nice quick labor with ROM seconds before delivery is SO very unlikely to result in an infected baby anyway.  eyesroll.gif

I live in WI, so I'm just having one of the Evanston peds see the baby in the hospital.  Does anyone know if there is anyone who would be on my side about this?  It seems more like a ped issue anyway.  Even if my local ped agreed with me (she mostly just tolerates my crazy ways), I doubt she could have any sway with the people at Evanston.  

#4 of 5 Old 01-11-2012, 04:59 AM

Call Dr. Minkus. He is a ped on staff at Evanston and is very natural minded and parent-focused. He has always let me make ALL of my own decisions regarding my kid's healthcare. We don't vax or do routine labwork and he is very supportive. I would trust his opinion and it might be worth talking to him to see what he thinks. He has worked at Evanston for a long time and will be able to tell you what they will expect from you with regards to the testing., and what you will encounter from the staff.

Happy birthing!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#5 of 5 Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Call Dr. Minkus. He is a ped on staff at Evanston and is very natural minded and parent-focused. He has always let me make ALL of my own decisions regarding my kid's healthcare. We don't vax or do routine labwork and he is very supportive. I would trust his opinion and it might be worth talking to him to see what he thinks. He has worked at Evanston for a long time and will be able to tell you what they will expect from you with regards to the testing., and what you will encounter from the staff.
Happy birthing!

Thank you!!  I was considering calling the random ped I picked to see us while we're in the hospital, but this is much better.  Thanks!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page