anyone use Sarah Simmons (homebirth CNM in Chicago) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you've used Sarah Simmons, please let me know how it went if you feel comfortable sharing. Right now she is my only option before a HBAC before going to a DEM- which my husband is comfortable with, but would prefer a CNM.  It would also be nice to NOT have to shadow care with hospital midwives, but if I must I will.

How was Sarah Simmons?  Did you birth with her?  How hands on/off was she, and how open to your preferences (like minimizing intervention, declining some routine tests) was she?

What routine tests does she do?  Does she do ultrasound?  Doppler?  Did you decline any tests, and if so, what was the response?

Anyone know how "late" she'll let you go?  

I'm waiting on a call back but I was hoping MDC could help!

ETA: also- what was your cost?  I'm paying out of pocket... yay. Does she do payment plans?  When is payment due?  

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 PM

I did not birth with Sarah, but my BFF had a homebirth with her in 07'. My understanding is that she is very hands off, and has no problem with mothers declining tests, etc. The only negative my friend tells me the that she can be difficult to get a hold of and is not the best about returning calls.. her practice also fills up quickly so if you want to birth with her you should book her asap, I'm told. I think my friend paid about $3800 for her birth, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I can certainly ask my friend more questions and/or get her in touch with you if you're interested. Also, congrats! smile.gif

autismribbon.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I tried calling yesterday, but will try calling again today.  I also e-mailed but you know how that goes! :)  

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#4 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM

I had a birth with her in 2007 and had a great experience. You might consider joining the ICAN group for Chicago, she is a member on that group as well. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/icanofchicago/

If you can't reach her through her office (MAMA) number, PM me and I can give you her pager number. I'm glad to share more specific details via pm if you want as well. 

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#5 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Sorry you also asked about routine stuff. She's ok with you declining things, or doing your own GBS swab, etc. the pee sticks are in the bathroom, you dip your own, tell her what color it was (normal or not), weigh yourself, etc. 

She has a doppler but only used it during labor (I was in the tub) or if you want her to, I switched to her in 3rd trimester so I didn't need the early doppler. 

Her office is a living room, her exam room in a bedroom, etc. and she's very friendly. She is more than willing to work out payment plans as well. 

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page