NW Chicago Suburbs (around Hoffman Estates) natural hospital birth with a tub to at least labor in - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-26-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I moving to the Hoffman Estates area and I am pregnant with our first child due in early August.  I really want to do a natural childbirth but in a hospital...just in case something goes wrong.  The only hospitals I can find that have water births are an hour drive and I don't think I am going to be up to that while I am in labor.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 PM

look at alexian brothers, i think it's elk grove village.

#3 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I also live in Hoffman Estates - welcome to the neighborhood smile.gif
Did you check out St. Alexius in Hoffman Estates and Northwest Community in Arlington Heights? Also maybe Sherman Hospital in Elgin?
#4 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 AM

Alexian Brothers has one tub that sometimes gets used but again it is one tub for the whole floor and you can't birth in it just labor and usually you have to get out by 8cm. The groups who normally use this room are http://www.midwestobgynmidwifery.com/ and http://www.drmruz.com/

None of the other area hospitals have tubs. If I had to rate them I would do Sherman(Elgin), NCH(Arlington) and then St. Alexius(Hoffman).

As a doula out of the Schaumburg/Hoffman area driving to Oak Park or Swedish Covenant to be with those midwives is totally worth the 40min drive. You will have a lot more options at those hospitals and will have to fight off a lot less interventions. Those groups have much higher rates of natural births, lower c/s rates and higher VBAC rates. 

#5 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM

I live in Barrington and delivered at West Suburban. I was worried about the distance to Oak Park, especially since we don't have a car, but it all worked out and it was so worth it all. The distance isn't too bad and I will do it again if/when the time comes. Although I was 8cm by the time we got there - didn't expect to go fast for a first timer : )

I went with Oak Park Midwifery and they were amazing. We moved to IL when I was 34 weeks and they were fantastic. Even better than my previous midwife. I fell in love with them and had the exact birth I wanted - a waterbirth, with no intervention. I delivered in the Alternative Birthing Center. Definitely recommend it. 

#6 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM

I delivered my oldest at Elmhurst, they had a tub 8 years ago. 

Also another vote for Alexian Bros.  I had my girls there, with a midwife.  Midwest midwives actually. 

I also had no meds with any of them and both hospitals were okay with that.  They thought I was crazy, but they didn't push.

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#7 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 AM

I have had several childbirth education students who have given birth in water at West Suburban in Oak Park, and they have all loved their experiences so far. They hav Ll been with West Suburban Midwives group (Gayle Riedmann is the head CNM). I'm in Palatine and yes it's a hike, but I think definitely worth it if you're looking for a natural hospital experience.

Me (27) and : DH (29), DD 12/08, DS 9/10, and #3 due 04/13!! Knitting, gardening/preserving, sewing, doulaing, loving God & others. Dreaming of my future farm...
#8 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 02:01 PM

Seconding west Sub midwives in Oak Park. 

I. Love. Them. !!!!!!!  Words cannot express how much I adore them! I'm bummed that now that I had my baby, i dont' get to see them every week!!! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page