Illinois - Midwives - Medicaid ??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer78 View Post

Nope. Haven't looked into Delnor yet. At least the name doesn't sound familiar. I have to look up where it even is. I looked where Rush Copley is, it's quite a hike as well. But maybe there would be less traffic going south.

Sounds like a dreamy experience! Minus the pain of course. And how nice that they let your daughter stay with you 2 days. smile.gif

I would definitely like to stay home for as long as possible. But if I chose to go with West Suburban I don't want long enough to become too long, it's quite a hike. And what if I have to go during the rush hour? I would end up on the news for sure, giving labor on the side of the highway with everybody standing in traffic getting a nice peak. But hey, it would be natural and I could chose my position. Although, no standing up I guess. smile.gif

Can I ask you how did you then 3 year old take the experience? My friends all think I'm nuts, they're convinced dd (would be 3 and a few months by then) will be traumatized. While I know that's not true I don't know how kids usually react.

You do have to have check ups at the midwife office, HOWEVER, they're REALLY good about actually yanno, taking TIME with you. That and there's a pretty kick ass Thai place downstairs from them. And an Oberweiss... (I can seriously recommend like 5 restaurants near them! HA HA !) Also, there's an amazing toy store across the street or  a top notch kids bookstore on the same block that your husband can take the kiddo to while you're at appointments. :) 

My ONLY hesitation about Delnor is that their C-section rate is near 40%.... that's WAY too high for my comfort!!! From what i've heard Rush copley vs Mercy (on route 31)- Rush is your better bet for a natural birth. 

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/12/4/illinois-cesarean-rates-by-hospital-2010.html

#32 of 50 Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMamma View Post

Hi there!
I had my first baby in late 2007 with a midwife practice that no longer exists. They delivered with Alexian Brothers in Elk Grove Village. I had a horrible experience as well as a friend of mine. Bad experience as in I went to therapy for a while after. The one silver lining was a specific midwife who saved my ass from a section and stood up for me. Fast forward to this year and becoming pregnant I found her again. She works under an OB in his office in Arlington Heights.
She is not like a home birth midwif though. Her background was labor and delivery nurse first. She does believe in some testing. I did do the glucose testing which I was okay with becaus of my weight. I passed by a measly point and she has me monitoring but refuses to give me the official diagnosis because of the extra intervention it would bring.
The OB she works for sought her out and trusts and believes in her. For me that was a great sign.
She delivers at Northwest Community in Arlington Heights. When I went for the tour the nurse talked about how once you get in there they want you up and moving around, if everything is fine they do the baby checks while the baby is on your chest. And they defer to your doctor (or midwife) about what kind of monitoring you need. (at Alexian I was bullied by the nursing staff, my midwife says Northwest is a much nicer place.)
Anyway, I'm on the Mom and Baby insurance and they take that. I can PM you her specific info. She might be worth trying compared to alternatives, but again I'm not sure if she is quite as hands off as you would prefer.
Good Luck!
Amanda

Amanda --

I would love the name of your midwife.  I just found out I'm pregnant with my second child; I used a midwife at Evanston Hospital with my first, but she has since retired.  So I need someone new and would appreciate someone closer to home this time around (I live in Arlington Heights). 

Thanks very much, Tami

#33 of 50 Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 AM

Fran I'm pretty sure the midwife is Wendy Allen 

#34 of 50 Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSam View Post

Fran I'm pretty sure the midwife is Wendy Allen 

Thanks DoulaSam!

#35 of 50 Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetchotchkes View Post

You do have to have check ups at the midwife office, HOWEVER, they're REALLY good about actually yanno, taking TIME with you. That and there's a pretty kick ass Thai place downstairs from them. And an Oberweiss... (I can seriously recommend like 5 restaurants near them! HA HA !) Also, there's an amazing toy store across the street or  a top notch kids bookstore on the same block that your husband can take the kiddo to while you're at appointments. :) 

My ONLY hesitation about Delnor is that their C-section rate is near 40%.... that's WAY too high for my comfort!!! From what i've heard Rush copley vs Mercy (on route 31)- Rush is your better bet for a natural birth. 

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/12/4/illinois-cesarean-rates-by-hospital-2010.html

Yikes! 40% really is way too high... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

i was in labor at home for a good 30+ hours. but got the bloody show around 9 pm. we got to Delnor (which is in Geneva, Randall Road, a little south of Route 64) around 10 pm. my daughter had fallen asleep in the car. so she slept through the entire hard part (transition, etc.) i walked the halls during this time anyway, with my doulas; my mom and my husband stayed in the room and talked and kept an eye on my daughter.

the baby was born just before 1 am. when he came out and started to cry, that's when my daughter woke up. she woke up just in time to be the first to meet her baby brother!

BTW, when he was born, he came straight up to me. they gave me warm blankets and he just stayed with me for a good 1/2 hour at least. i was able to nurse him, he was still covered in all his birth goo. in fact, i decided to refuse his baths altogether, just let them eventually do a wipe down. 

--

i was blessed with that hospital experience.

how would YOU handle it if you had your kiddo in the delivery room with you. i was really lucky she was konked out. i would definitely have a person on hand dedicated to your kid. in my case it was my mother. she would have been content to spend time with her grandma in the hallway or the lunch room or the gift shop. when the going gets rough (and don't kid yourself, you know it will), the last thing you can do is be having to be "on" for your 3 year old. so make sure you think it through all the way and have "things" packed and with you, DVDs, toys, books, comfort lovies, etc. etc. 

also, try and prep your kid for the whole birth experience. i took her with me to natural childbirth education classes, and let her see some movies showing a baby coming out, and even women in labor. so it would not be totally foreign to her to see me in intense pain.

... HTH 

Honestly, I have no clue how I would respond to dd during this experience. I'm kinda hoping she would just be asleep. LOL It's a good idea to let her see what it's all about. We have no family members in the country so it has to be just us.

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#36 of 50 Old 09-05-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by franmama View Post

Amanda --

I would love the name of your midwife.  I just found out I'm pregnant with my second child; I used a midwife at Evanston Hospital with my first, but she has since retired.  So I need someone new and would appreciate someone closer to home this time around (I live in Arlington Heights). 

Thanks very much, Tami

DoulaSam had already responded, it is Wendy Allen.

Wendy Allen
Northwest Professional Obstetrics and Gynecology

http://www.for-women-only.org/Default.aspx

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#37 of 50 Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Can I jump in with a question? Have any women who delivered at West Suburban met with both groups of midwives? If so, which did you prefer and why? I'm going to set up a consultation with each group, but would love some input ahead of time. Thanks!

Stay-at-home-Mama to DD (7) DS (1.5) Wife to my sweet, amazing due Mid-April hoping for another
#38 of 50 Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyRuth View Post

Can I jump in with a question? Have any women who delivered at West Suburban met with both groups of midwives? If so, which did you prefer and why? I'm going to set up a consultation with each group, but would love some input ahead of time. Thanks!

I've only met the one set- West sub midwives, but a good friend of mine delivered with the other set and was very happy with them- I guess there was a huge issue with her son's birth and things got hairy for a bit, and had she had an OB would have had a section, with these midwives, she had an episiotomy but she said she'd take that over a c-section any day! 

#39 of 50 Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetchotchkes View Post

I've only met the one set- West sub midwives, but a good friend of mine delivered with the other set and was very happy with them- I guess there was a huge issue with her son's birth and things got hairy for a bit, and had she had an OB would have had a section, with these midwives, she had an episiotomy but she said she'd take that over a c-section any day! 

Thanks!

Stay-at-home-Mama to DD (7) DS (1.5) Wife to my sweet, amazing due Mid-April hoping for another
#40 of 50 Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM

As a doula I have had more clients like the West Sub midwives over the Oak Park, but I think it all comes down to personality-they are all very qualified. Also Gentle Birth Care, the home birth Practice, is out of Oak Park and WONDERFUL. 

#41 of 50 Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 AM

Its not too close to you but I had my 1st son at Rush copley with midwife Karen Barr and she was great.

I had an all natural waterbirth, did limited fetal monitoring, no IV's, they have a large shower in the room you can labor in, birthing ball/bar, lots of stuff to help with natural birth.

My baby never left my side, did not get a bath, and we refused all newborn stuff (except PKU) with absolutely no problem.

We stayed our mandatory 24 hrs then left with no problems.

I had a homebirth with my 2nd birth with no insurance. I used an underground midwife and she charged me $2000 plus $40 for each prenatal visit, which was only once a month.  We did urine samples to check for protein & finger pricks to check for iron, but no glucose test or HIV test.

Also, you may want to hire a doula to get the birth you want while in a hospital setting, especially since you seem to have limited options.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#42 of 50 Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

Its not too close to you but I had my 1st son at Rush copley with midwife Karen Barr and she was great.

I had an all natural waterbirth, did limited fetal monitoring, no IV's, they have a large shower in the room you can labor in, birthing ball/bar, lots of stuff to help with natural birth.

My baby never left my side, did not get a bath, and we refused all newborn stuff (except PKU) with absolutely no problem.

We stayed our mandatory 24 hrs then left with no problems.

I had a homebirth with my 2nd birth with no insurance. I used an underground midwife and she charged me $2000 plus $40 for each prenatal visit, which was only once a month.  We did urine samples to check for protein & finger pricks to check for iron, but no glucose test or HIV test.

Also, you may want to hire a doula to get the birth you want while in a hospital setting, especially since you seem to have limited options.

Thank you Greenlea. Sounds like a very positive experience. Aurora is, however, a good hour away from my house.

So I had seen a midwife and have mixed feelings. First, I chickened out and didn't refuse the vaginal/breast exam. Even while changing when I could have simpy stopped I didn't. I get really uncomfortable in a doctor's office setting and was out my element. I feel violated. Is that strange? I'm also really, really mad at myself. :( I only refused the pap smear. I was kind of surprised to know the diabetes test is manadotory in this office, as is the initial blood work and group B strep test. I didn't know midwives had mandatory tests. I feel like maybe I will end up giving birth at home, by myself. I don't think it would be the experience I wanted, during pregnancy or labour. The fact that I have Medicaid isn't helping me much. And on top of it a genetic test was ordered and only AFTER (before I left, at the front desk) I was told I have to pay for the test because Medicaid doesn't cover it. Isn't it something I should have been informed about BEFORE it was done? The other midwife was going through my file when giving me the choices for the genetic tests so she knew what insurance I had. Or is that standard? I just feel like this is another disguised doctor's office that maybe pushing stuff on me. Sorry for the rant. :(

#43 of 50 Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 AM

Pretty much any hospital based midwife is going to automatically do GBS and gestational diabetes, a vag exam, want to do the nuchal fold and probably a quad screen-it kind of comes with seeing a hospital based provider. Some midwifery practices will still treat you if you refuse certain tests, others won't. They are great questions to ask early while you still have time to find another provider 

#44 of 50 Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM

Just wondering, but where did you decide to go? Did you decide to stay near your home?

I am 9 weeks now and decided to go with West Suburban Midwives in Oak Park, even though they are a good hour from my home.  Which yeah, I'm a little nervouse about since my last birth was 4 hours start to finish (homebirth). I just hope I can make it to the hospital!

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#45 of 50 Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSam View Post

Pretty much any hospital based midwife is going to automatically do GBS and gestational diabetes, a vag exam, want to do the nuchal fold and probably a quad screen-it kind of comes with seeing a hospital based provider. Some midwifery practices will still treat you if you refuse certain tests, others won't. They are great questions to ask early while you still have time to find another provider 

DoulaSam, you're absolutely right. I spoke with a pregnant friend of a friend of mine who wanted to see a midwife and she has the exact same experience (seeing other group). We came to the conclusion that the hospital birth is to blame, not the midwifes. :)

#46 of 50 Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

Just wondering, but where did you decide to go? Did you decide to stay near your home?

I am 9 weeks now and decided to go with West Suburban Midwives in Oak Park, even though they are a good hour from my home.  Which yeah, I'm a little nervouse about since my last birth was 4 hours start to finish (homebirth). I just hope I can make it to the hospital!

Greenlea - PM'd you.

#47 of 50 Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

DoulaSam - I think your hints are just slowly getting to me now. smile.gif

I think I'm about to be kicked out of the practice for refusing drinking glucola (I would like to eat/drink something less artificial) and doppler at every visit. The midwives are really nice and talk to me openly about my issues and concerns but their hands are tied by the person in charge of the rules - the OB. Plus I may not be able to avoid unnecessary intervention at the hospital because of the somewhat strict rules of the OB (timing, etc.).

I guess soon I'm back to square one. horrors.gif

#48 of 50 Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM

I am thrilled to announce that at 33 weeks pregnant, I have finally found my homebirth midwife!  She is wonderful, and our long meeting today made me feel so confident and excited about my upcoming birth.  I was really getting down, and feeling like I'd have to give up and just birth in the hospital.  I'm so happy!

Yet another reason CPMs need to be recognized and licensed in IL.  It would be such a reduction in hassle and headache for would-be homebirth mamas in the Chicago area if we felt we had more than 3 or 4 choices, and had more than underground access to these wonderful, skilled providers.  Think of how many women there are in Chicago!  The need simply isn't filled by the few homebirth CNMs (of which only ONE accepts Medicaid and will currently do births in the the city of Chicago).  

#49 of 50 Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Amanda - Can you message me the info about the midwife out of Northwest Community Hospital? 

Thank you!

K

#50 of 50 Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but in 2012 and 2009 I used Swedish covenant nurse midwives with Medicaid. I refused the glucose test and probably could have refused the gbs if i wanted to.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page