Columbia Childbirth Care Providers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a doula and homebirthing mama in Columbia, MO. The hospitals here are pretty conservative in their approach to birth and I've had good and bad experiences with the doctors who attend them. Can anyone give a good recommendation (or possibly negative feedback) on any of the local OBs you've worked with? Obviously, the best choice for someone who wants a safe natural birth is a midwife, but for the women I work with, that is often not their preference. Also, Fulton, the most supportive area hospital, has closed its L&D so I really want info pertaining to Boone or Women's and Childrens. TIA.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#2 of 4 Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 PM

I feel like I really squeaked in under the wire here... I worked with the New Village Midwives last year before they closed, then had to transfer during my birth and went to Fulton where I received WONDERFUL care from the staff there. I was so sad to hear that they closed down; they were so supportive. 

We go to Namaste Health Care in Ashland, and they have ties to both the midwives and Dr. McCray. A few visits ago, they told me that Dr. McCray was looking into other positions in the area, and might be getting involved with homebirths, but I haven't heard anything since. I will try to remember to ask them in a few weeks when we go in for our next checkup.

It's kind of surprising to me (and very disappointing) how little support there is for natural childbirth around here, given how generally crunchy Columbia seems to be!

#3 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I too go to Namaste and love them. I think there has been a real vaccuum of good natural care providers since the birth center closed. The number of midwives in the area is on the rise, though, so homebirthers have more choices. I'd love to see everyone who didn't want interventions to just stay home and use midwives, but since I know that won't happen (at least right away) and have to attend women in two very conservative hospials, I would like to see some movement on their part. I'm invoved in the Columbia area Improving Birth Nation Rally that is supposed to take place on Labor Day this year, so maybe that will help bring about some change.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#4 of 4 Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM

kathan12904 - I sent you a PM smile.gif

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page