Elmhurst Academy - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 06-03-2012, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 454 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Does anyone have an opinion, information, ideas on Elmhurst Academy in Elmhurst. It's a Reggio Emilia inspired school. Right now it looks like it's either that or the KinderCare in Elmhurst on North Avenue for my 3 and 5 year old in the fall.

TIA

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to AJ 4/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Genevieve 5/09

And then:

And THEN twins: Matt 11/14
and his guardian angel Billy 11/18/14 - 11/28/14

Ten days in our lives, a lifetime in our hearts

The whole story at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)

I don't but I noticed your post was missed. Just thought I'd bump it up for attention. smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had a rough experience at Elmhurst Academy. To start, during our initial interview, we were told by the administrators that the classes hold school outside as much as possible, even in raining/snowing conditions. This is exactly what we were looking for. Several months later, during a 30 degree day that was snowing, I asked how the kids liked being outside during the snow. The response was unnerving. I was told it was too cold outside today so they were only out there for a few minutes. So there seems to be a policy that is told to the parents and another internal policy that the teachers adhere to. The class room that my child was in was extremely small, especially with all the kids in there. I was ok with that at first since I was told the kids are outside a lot. Not ok with that if the kids have to be inside all day. Being lied to (or misled) by a school is a really hard thing to come to grips with. I really expect that I can fully trust a school to be honest. I very strongly suggest avoiding this school. Considering the high price of this school, trust me, you will not be getting what you pay for, no matter what you are told. They also have other policies in place that could cost you much more money than you anticipated. One of them includes a policy where you pay hundreds of dollars up front for school registration fee. Well, even if you decide to leave (due to them being dishonest) after a couple months, you do not get that back. This was the worst few months of my child's life so far... He's been so much better since moving to a much much better managed school that just recently opened.
#4 of 4 Old 03-08-2015, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 454 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I'm just seeing this. @Patty1441 what daycare center did you end up going to?

My children did go there for a year and then we went back to a nanny. A nanny is just a better fit for our youngest.

But, as far as Elmhurst academy, I liked it overall. I found that they were outside a lot. One big problem I had was with my oldest. He was in the kindergarten. Everything seemed to be going fine. He's my oldest, so I wasn't calibrated with what a child should be doing academically. I was in for a rude awakening when he went to Elmhurst public schools for first grade.

My son didn't know how to read because Elmhurst Academy hadn't taught him at all!!!

I didn't know that he should be reading. Well, luckily, he's smart and quickly caught up and now he's in second grade and doing well.

When I told the school, their answer to me was, "we told you you should continue to read to him over the summer." Ha! Of course, we read to him. We've been reading to him since he was born. That doesn't automatically teach every child to read!

So, overall, they were nice enough and the kids were happy enough, but they did not prepare them academically for the rigors of Elmhurst public schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim

Mom to AJ 4/07
and Genevieve 5/09

And then:

And THEN twins: Matt 11/14
and his guardian angel Billy 11/18/14 - 11/28/14

Ten days in our lives, a lifetime in our hearts

The whole story at:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page