Southern Missouri mama needs community! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-14-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, y'all.  My partner and I just moved to Thayer, MO from Kansas.  We have been here almost 2 weeks, staying with my parents, and it's been great!  Everyone is just so nice, and my partner already has a job she loves in West Plains, and friends to boot.  However, we have only one car, so with her working all the time, I end up losing out on opportunities to explore.  With two kids at home - well, at summer school until 2:30 - I need to be available to them, too.  So I haven't gotten to get out and meet *anyone*.  I have one friend in West Plains, and I love her to death, but it sure would be nice to have someone closer by.  If such a thing exists. :)

A little about our family:  I'm 31, hard-of-hearing, love kids and getting dirty.  I want very much to raise chickens for eggs and Angora goats for yarn (which I hope to learn to spin as well).  I love to crochet and make things - I'd much rather sit around making stuff all day and caring for animals and getting dirty than working indoors.  I guess that's a big part of why we're out here now. :)  I've been a preschool teacher, and plan to open up a childcare/preschool in Thayer once we get settled.  I've also been an elementary and junior high teacher's aide.  I really love being around kids.  They keep me young. :)

My son, Danny, is 7, and will be entering 2nd grade.  He's kind of a video game nerd, and I really want him to break out of his shell and spend more time outdoors.  Another reason we're down here now.  My daughter Shenandoah (Nene) is 5, and getting ready for kindergarten, and loves princesses, performing, and playing ball.

My (eventual) wife is Sous Chef at a bistro in West Plains, loves food.  She loves fishing and came down here for some peace and quiet.  So far, the restaurant hasn't indulged a whole lot of that. ;-)

We dream of eventually building our own home out of recycled and natural materials, and meeting folks we can get along with.  We don't fit on the political spectrum - we're not left, right, or in the middle.  Everything blends into everything else - we just believe in taking care of ourselves and our community, and living in accordance with our values.

One thing I do need to know, though, being such recent transplants - my kids are only partially vaccinated, and  are on an alternate vaccine schedule.  I would love to know about any docs friendly towards that sort of thing in the area.  I did find one in Nixa/Springfield, but I'd rather not drive two hours for doctor's appointments if I don't have to!

Anyway, I hope this reaches someone, lol.  I'm eager to get to know folks.

Abby crochetsmilie.gif madly in love with surf.gif Amy

Mama to Danny superhero.gif 12/18/04 and Shenandoah hearts.gif 12/13/06 

computergeek2.gif http://cleanqueen.wordpress.com nocirc.gif  selectivevax.gif  namaste.gif     
#2 of 4 Old 06-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Thought I'd bump your post up for attention. Hope you find some likeminded families to get together with! :)

#3 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Miss Cynthia!  No bites here, yet, but I am in the running for a job at a crunch health mart in West Plains, and I've got a good feeling that will help me meet some new families, too. :-)  But I'll keep checking in here, there's GOTTA be someone else out there!

computergeek2.gif http://cleanqueen.wordpress.com nocirc.gif  selectivevax.gif  namaste.gif     
#4 of 4 Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Incidentally, if there's anyone in the area reading this, if you know of a nearby Buddhist temple or gathering place, we'd be much obliged for the information! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page