Springfield, Mo moms! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello out there!

I am a mama of a beautiful 5 year old.

Just wanting to connect with other like-minded moms in the area.

Curious if anyone knows of a good home-school co-op and/or homeschool groups in the area.

Preferably ones that lean towards Waldorf philosophies or a natural style curriculum.

Thank-you!

#2 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM

I live about two hours south of SPFD!  We just moved here from Lawrence, KS, so we're definitely in the market for like-minded friends nearby as well.  I have a five yo and seven yo.  Don't know about homeschool co-ops (as of right now, we're probably going to put the kids in public school in Thayer, because they crave the social aspect of the experience, but we use unschooling principles when school is out of session), but I do know one homeschooling family just outside of West Plains.  They don't have internet access at the moment, but if you're interested in a little drive at some point down the road, I'm sure we can make a meet-up happen.  Lots of learning opportunities between there and here for a meet-up to be worthwhile for us and kids!

Abby crochetsmilie.gif madly in love with surf.gif Amy

Mama to Danny superhero.gif 12/18/04 and Shenandoah hearts.gif 12/13/06 

computergeek2.gif http://cleanqueen.wordpress.com nocirc.gif  selectivevax.gif  namaste.gif     
#3 of 4 Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ive heard such wonderful things about Lawrence...don't know much about Thayer. The public schools are big here and if I could I would love to homeschool her but supplement with a co-op for some subjects. At least music, sports and art.

I would definitely be open to a meet up!

#4 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Lawrence was a lot of fun when I was growing up, and even as a twenty-something.  We just needed to get out and slow our lives down, so we moved out to the stix and surrounded ourselves by water and rolling hills, haha!

Springfield is pretty-good sized.  I still find it daunting to drive through, and I've had to do it several times in the last two months!  There *is* an earthy, laid-back community there, though; a friend of mine told me about a natural foods store in Springfield.  Maybe you could post a flyer there, seeking out other folks who might be interested in the same thing?  

In the meantime, I'll get in touch with my friends - we're planning a trip to Grand Gulf State Park (not much of a trip for us, it's just outside of Thayer, about 2 hours south of you guys) to take our kids exploring.  I have a 5 and 7 year old, and she has a 2, 5, and 6 year old.  You'd be welcome to join us - I can PM you details as we figure them out - or, if not, I can bounce some ideas off of her and figure out how to make some sort of area-wide co-op thing happen, if there isn't one already.  That'd probably be something else to look into! :)

Abby crochetsmilie.gif madly in love with surf.gif Amy

Mama to Danny superhero.gif 12/18/04 and Shenandoah hearts.gif 12/13/06 

computergeek2.gif http://cleanqueen.wordpress.com nocirc.gif  selectivevax.gif  namaste.gif     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page