Finding a midwife and where to move in Missouri? PLEASE HELP - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Where would you suggest for me?
Near Warrenton/Lake St. Louis and surrounding areas 0 0%
Columbia area 0 0%
Springfield area 0 0%
Other area in Missouri 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I am in a dilemma.  I am currently in NW Arkansas and my husband (now ex) abandoned me when he found out I was pregnant.  I also have a young child already, and we are in financial difficulty now due to the situation.  I wanted to move out west to escape the humidity but since I am now pregnant do not have the funds yet and am thinking maybe I should move a little closer to my family until the baby is born at least (I am 6.5 hours away from them right now).

I have been debating on which area to move to in Missouri since some of my family lives there (they are near Lake St. Louis/Warrenton area).  I cannot live with my parents again (it just would not work) but am really struggling financially.

I am reluctant to move TOO close to my parents because they do not share my beliefs about midwives, natural parenting, attachment parenting, homebirth, etc. - and to top it off one of my siblings who lives only a few minutes away from them is a nurse who thinks I am stupid for even considering homebirth.  As much as I love my family, I am afraid that the negativity about this would hurt me having a homebirth and am thinking maybe I should live a little further away but still within reasonable driving distance.

I have been researching three main areas: 

1.  west of St. Louis (Warrenton/Lake St. Louis and surrounding areas like Washington etc.)

2.  Columbia (about an hour away from them

3.  Springfield (about 3.5 hours away)

If I choose #1 I may not have the support system I need even though I would be very close to them.

If I choose #2 I am worried it may be too liberal and too much of a college town for me.

If I choose #3 I think it may have more support but would it still be too far?  I have read that rent is somewhat more affordable there.

I have no idea where the midwives are in Missouri, and that is one of the main factors for me as well.  I REALLY want a homebirth this time (had a nightmare hospital experience) and I would like a community that is more supportive of that.  I would love to have health food stores, some good churches, pet-friendly areas, shopping, but also I would like to eventually get a little house out in the country to have a small hobby farm since I am not keen on living around a lot of noise as I have in the city for so many years.  I want to be in nature yet within driving distance for convenient shopping now and then.

Do any mamas out there have any suggestions for where in Missouri I might fit in the best?  Any of these three or somewhere else entirely?

Thank you!wink1.gif

#2 of 4 Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I intend to start homeschooling this year also and REALLY need a supportive group around me for that.  I would also like somewhere I can go to farmer's markets:)

#3 of 4 Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 PM

There are midwives in or around all of those places.  Once you get yourself settled, and that seems to be the priority, you will be able to find the midwives.  Do some google searches, or google Friends of Missouri Midwives.  Email them for help finding midwives once you decide where you'll be.  As to where you should go--I don't know you so couldn't begin to assume what your needs and lifestyle are as to what place would suit you.  Can you visit those places first?  

Good luck! 

#4 of 4 Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 PM

First off  hugs to you hug2.gif

I am just now exploring this forum past my DDC so Idk if you have decided on a place to settle but I live in Marshfield which is about 20-30min NE of Springfield and it is very cheap to live here (It is very easy to find a house to rent for under $500.. In Springfield I have seen apartments for $500 and I believe my brother split a 3br apartment with 2 other guys for about $200 so it was $600 total, I think tht is pretty cheap for living in town. Strafford is another small town that is about 15 min from Springfield and I think housing is cheap there too but I have never lived there, just trying to give you some ideas of places very near Springfield :)... It is not the most AP friendly environment here but it's not the worst, at least I have never been asked to move while BFing or anything like that. There are also several MWs to choose from and it is also pretty cheap. the MW I used is 1750... Springfield has a great homeschool community with sports and co-op classes, but we moved here when my mom was homeschooling older children so idk what stuff they have for smaller children other than co-op classes. Marshfield has a homeschool park day and co-op day for young children that my younger brothers go to and my mom really likes it.. The homeschool group here in Marshfield is becoming more involved because of the high gas prices and all the driving that participating in Springfield would entail.

I know there is a LLL chapter in Springfield but I have not yet been to a meeting

Let me know if you decide to move to the Springfield area and I can maybe look up some more definite figures for you if you want... I hope everything is going well for you! Good luck in your decision if you haven't made one yet!

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page