Waterbirth with a midwife near Chicago? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am pregnant with my 3rd child and really want another waterbirth. I had my 1st two in the water as well.

I currently live in Hanover Park, but hopefully will be moving before baby is born, but dont know where to yet.  So traveling is not a problem.

Other than Rush Copley in Aurora, and the ABC birthing center in Oak Park, is there any other hospital that offers waterbirths?

And if so, who is the best midwife to see from that hospital.

I had a homebirth with my 2nd son, but my current insurance will not pay for a homebirth this time around.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#2 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Bumping this up for attention. Anyone have a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 PM

To the best of my knowledge, only West Sub, Rush Copely, and Prentice are the only hospitals that allow water BIRTH. My understanding though is that it's not easy to obtain at Prentice, as hospital protocols can easily risk you out.

autismribbon.gif

#4 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 AM

Prentice is pretty hard to get a waterbirth at. I have attended them there as a doula, but they have much stricter policies then the other two hospitals. At West Sub both midwife groups are good, I've personally doula'd more for mamas using the West Sub midwives, but hear good things about the Oak Park Midwives as well. At Rush you would want to see Isabelle and Karen for a water birth. 

#5 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

We've decided to go with West Sub. in Oak Park. I really want a waterbirth, so its either here or Rush copley.

sabecha likes this.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#6 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Elmhurst Hospital is getting waterbirth in the new year 

#7 of 9 Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM

Have you considered a homebirth? I have four children (7 and under). The last 2 were homebirths with Hilary Kieser. She is out of Oak Park.

I am a Doula now myself and would recommend the ABC Center in Oak Park if you don't want to do a homebirth.

#8 of 9 Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I had a homebirth with my 2nd son, but insurance won't cover it this time. I would love to again though. 

Plus, we don't know where we'll be living as we plan on moving before baby comes.

Thanks though.

#9 of 9 Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 AM

FWIW I had my first at W. Sub in the ABC (a waterbirth). I had my second and third at Rush Copley. I planned a waterbirth for #2 and worked with the midwives for my prenatal care, but she was transverse breech and remained that way even after I went into labor so I had to have a CS. Due to the incision required for her safe delivery, I was not a VBAC candidate but still opted for the MWs for my prenatal care for #3.

In any event, the point is that I have given birth in both hospitals and evaluated (or had) water birth in both. I will say that the ABC is lovely without a doubt, but unless you can guarantee that neither you nor the baby will have any complications, I would not recommend birthing at West. Sub. They are an inferior hospital to Rush Copley IMO and ill equipped to deal with true complications/emergencies in the ABC and perhaps in the hospital overall.

I just wanted to provide you with that experience. I am just one person of course and I bet you can find many  stories of happy uncomplicated deliveries at the ABC, but I don't know how many happy stories you will hear among those who had complications with wither the mother or baby who birthed at ABC.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page