Looking for gentle csection options in NW Chicago suburbs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

Long story short, my firstborn was a homebirth turned transfer turned csection. The section was traumatic and I know what I want to make this next birth gentler - but I don't know where to start in finding a doctor or hospital I can do this with.

For this birth I am planning to labour naturally and spontaneously but I am not going to pursue a VBAC strongly - if it happens, great, but I exhausted myself mentally and physically in trying to birth normally with my first. It left emotional and physical scars I am not eager to regain. This time if the birth doesn't proceed normally - and I have every reason to expect it won't - I am opting for a csection before I get to exhausted to care. The pain of labour doesn't bother me, but I gave my everything the first time and felt like I lost it all because I had nothing left at the end. 

To make a section tolerable, I need to make sure I have skin to skin in the OR to initiate nursing right away. If delayed cord clamping can be included that would be amazing. Can anyone recommend an OB or a hospital where this is possible at? My first was delivered at Gottlieb Memorial in Melrose Park with Dr. Gomez. I am currently seeing an OB out of Lake Forest Hospital but know what I am looking for is not possible there.

Thank you so much,

Heather

#2 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM

I had three intervention-free births with a midwife at Evanston Hospital and found them VERY accomodating - I'd be suprised if you couldn't have the type of experience you're looking for there.  Your OB may be more of a "problem" than your hospital, I'd think - make sure you have one that's aware of what you've chosen for your birth (skin-to-skin, etc) and maybe involve a midwife and/or a doula as additional advocates if you feel you need them.  Remember, nothing can be done to you or your child without your consent - while hospitals love to couch things as "rules," (& may want to tell you that it's a "rule" you can't do skin-to-skin after a cs), YOU and your partner are in charge.  A very specific birth plan (in writing, and handed over as soon as you arrive) definitely helps.  But again, we had no pushback re: anything at Evanston.  Wishing you & baby a healthy & happy birth experience!

#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2013, 05:44 PM

I would go down to UIC. They have very high VBAC rates and they do semi gentle c/s's, so do the midwives at Swedish. Evanston is going to be more supportive of your VBAC, a natural labor and OR options compared to Lake Forest, at least that has been my experience as a doula. 

#4 of 4 Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM

I had a good experience at res in park ridge.

Sorry, adding more that I'm not on my ipad. I was a planned homebirth with CNM, but breech at 37w. I attempted a version twice with an OB (DO), but was actually in labor, so they couldn't send me home. Here are some things that we jointly did to make the c/s a better process. I don't know how many of them were due to the situation I was in or the doctor or the hospital, but IMO, all are worth exploring.
  • I was actually in labor and allowed to labor for awhile - I got to 8cm before they said that was enough. it allowed for spontaniety of the day of DS birth (somtehing I actually wanted) and there's a whole bunch of hormonal goodnes having actually gone into labor
  • my labor support nurse was allowed to come in the OR with DH and I (rare)
  • DH photographed the birth, even though it was surgical, I got to see how he was born
  • we didn't delay cord clamping, but after a quick (2 mins, tops) look over by the Nicu doc, baby went right to DH for cuddles and warming
  • DH told me the sex of the baby
  • DS latched on my chest while I was being stitched - so, so glad they did this, just to be skin-to-skin with him within a few mins of the birth was pretty amazing
  • kept my placenta (needed an ice chest)
  • no bath. This freaked the baby nurses out and they touched him minimally. Awesome!
  • we left after minimum 48 hrs required - i was feeling good and managing my pain
est)

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page