Mothering Forum banner

What all Parents need to know if declining Erythromycin and Vitamin K at Prentice Hospital (northwestern) Chicago

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  boomer78 
#1 ·
Northwestern / Prentice woman's hospital is now reporting families to DCFS if they decline Erythromycin and Vitamin K. Most Nurses and Doctors on labor and Delivery are unaware of the change in policy, because it is happening on Mother/Baby (upstairs). I am a doula and one of my clients just went through this Saturday-Monday. DCFS must investigate and come to the hospital to see the baby and then make a home visit, before the baby is released, to see if the house is "safe" for a baby

I want to get this out into the community so parents can make informed choices about where to have their baby!

A**doula

#3 ·
I'm surprised that DCFS is actually responding, because according to IL law, the eye stuff can be declined. And the vitamin K is not in IL law at all - that's a hospital policy! Ridiculous. You'd think, with all the abandoned & poorly-treated babies in Chicago, DCFS would have some actual work to do.
shake.gif
Prentice just gets more and more conveyor-belt as time goes on.

Good god, I had no trouble at all at Swedish declining everything.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ eta:

You know, last summer before I miscarried, I went back to my old OB/gyne at the Women's Group (the ones with the Mich Ave address but you enter on Chi Ave) and she had mentioned that they were in discussions about implementing a hospital policy forbidding patients from opting out of those. I never dreamed they would go so far as to involve DCFS. That's a huge misuse of already-strained state resources. There's got to be some way to complain higher up the state chain. I'm not understanding how they're getting a state agency to respond to families declining medical procedures when 1.) it's written into IL law that it can be declined, 2.) DCFS doesn't respond to complaints for not vaxing, and 3.) it's a hospital policy, i.e. doesn't have anything to do with abuse. Sorry to harp on this, but my blood is boiling for your client -- way to make those first days real special Prentice!
disappointed.gif

#4 ·
where have you seen it written that it can be declined? and you are mistakes that Vitamin K is not the law. Both are Statutes that hospitals are required to follow.

"...from the Illinois Administrative Code (cite available on request): "A single parenteral dose of vitamin K-1, water soluble to 0.5-1.0 milligrams, shall be given to the infant, shortly after birth, but usually within the first hour after delivery, as a prophylaxis against hemorrhagic disorder in the first days of life." "

and

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1541&ChapterID=35

#5 ·
mea culpa; after pulling up some old links that took me nowhere, I dove into the Public Health compiled statutes and the administrative codes and you are correct: IL has vit K on the books now. (They didn't back when my oldest was born) Also, where there used to be an exemption clause in the Infant Eye Disease Act, there is no longer, That being said, there are still exemptions on the books for both the newborn screen/pku:

Section 661.60 Exemption

Whenever a newborn screening test is not performed because a parent or guardian presents a written statement of objection on the basis of religious tenets and practices, documentation shall be maintained by the facility of birth or by the primary health care provider. Objection based on religious tenets and practices is the only ground for exemption. The Department shall be notified in writing.

(http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077006610000600R.html)

...and the hearing screen:

Parental Information/Consent

1) The provisions of the Act shall not apply when the newborn's parent or guardian objects in writing on the grounds that the screening conflicts with his/her religious beliefs or practices and presents a written objection to a physician or other person whose objective it is to obtain the screening.

(http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/089/089005040000300R.html)

I'm still not understanding how, barring extenuating circumstances (such as circ-ing or known vd), the patient couldn't sign a written refusal and not get harassed. I really think Prentice is getting ridiculous with this. How in the world does every other hospital in the city let you opt out, not to mention homebirths? I'm so sorry your client had to deal with that. I could never ever do what you do - I'd blow my stack on a daily basis.
Peace.gif

#6 ·
WTH? I had a baby 4 months ago in Elmhurst and opted out of both, just signed a written consent for declining. Can I ask about the PKU test/newborn screen? I was researching this before giving birth and everywhere I read it said that it is mandatory, no way to opt out. So I could have opted out on religious grounds?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.