Moving to Rockford IL...freaking out! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello-My husband has been transfered to Rockford and is moving in 3 weeks. We will stay back in Iowa until we get our house rented. I am so overwhelmed trying to figure out where to move, school district, finding a nice/clean/safe apartment, finding a care provider for no-vax kiddos....and of course making new friends and finding an AP/natural mama community. We are willing to live up to 30 minutes outside of the city if it means better housing/safer area. We have 3 little girls and prefer a 2-3 bedroom home but more importantly are looking for a pet free/harwood floored place to rent because our daughters have severe food,seasonal, and pet allergies. In  my dream world my girls would attend a waldorf school or montessori school. There is a public montessori school in rockford but it has 5/10 review on greatschools.com. I am also toying around with homeschooling. My oldest did attend private school for kindergarten this year and loooooooves school. I am honestly just really afraid of ending up in an unsafe neighborhood, crappy apartment, or subpar school district. Our budget is $700/month for housing if that makes a difference!

#2 of 9 Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

#3 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 PM

i'm not sure what the "bad neighborhood" means depending on where you're coming from but I live just north of Rockford and you might be hard pressed. what part of town are you trying to stay within 30 min of or just town in general, and are you trying to stay in a town or are you willing to go rural, because there are a few houses for rent near me that I could get more information about if you would like.

#4 of 9 Old 07-09-2013, 02:10 PM

I don't know what all you are in to with being AP, but there is a babywearing international group that meets in rockford,  http://bwiofncil.blogspot.com/   and there's a homebirth support group that meets near rockford.  Both could be a way to start connecting with like-minded families. There's a holistic moms network chapter in rockford, also.  I've found HMN to be a nice way to connect with other AP families.

don't have much insight into wher eto live in rockford, though :(   maybe you could snag a month to month place, and use a couple months to explore where you might want to land?

Carrie, wife to J, sahm to E, N, and A, followed by a bunch of crunchy labels and acronyms

#5 of 9 Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will have to look up her name (Dr. Federici?) but she's hb/AP/no-vax friendly and about 30 minutes outside of Rockford. I lived on the west side and I would NOT RECOMMEND IT. It was horribly unsafe and crime ridden. Rent is absolutely outrageous up there, too. We paid $700 a month for an apartment that was ~1000 sq. ft or less, 2 bedrooms, severe mold problems, gang violence, total scum lords. And that was a big renting company. That's the most affordable we could find 5 years ago. The schools were horrid, but we weren't rich enough to afford going to the good schools on the nicer side of town. The east side of town is nicer. There are some nicer bits up by Wisconsin, too, and SE of town.

On a nicer note, Dr. Baer is the best chiropractor in the world, the children's farm is free and AMAZING, the Discovery Center is just awesome, and the college has lots of classes for kids. Those are such good points that I would almost consider moving back if dh got a raise.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#6 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We found an apartment near best buy on bell school rd in the cherry valley school zone. Now I am deciding whether to send her or homeschool.
#7 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM

Hi! I'm looking for a pediatrician in the Rockford area that is no vax friendly. Is that the right name kittywitty? Also which way 30 minutes outside of Rockford?
#8 of 9 Old 07-30-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking for a dr. That is no vax friendly also
#9 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 04:19 AM

We live out near Rockford. Rent can be high, look out in the county in Boone county or surrounding areas. I know this post is old, but we see dr. Schermer in Rockford. He lets me make the decision about vaxing or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page