Mothering Forum banner

Any VBAC friendly OBGYN or midwives in St. Louis West County?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  thefreckledmama 
#1 ·
Hi, I just moved to Kirkwood, St. Louis from NYC a month ago. I had a Csection with my firstborn because the OB thought he would be too big and then a VBAC with my second one. Me and my husband would like to get pregnant at the end of this year and I don't want to chance having a Csection (after fighting so hard to have a VBAC with my 2nd one) by choosing the wrong OB.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a pro VBAC OB/GYN in this area?

(Like really pro VBAC rather then "maybe" and then changing their mind as it gets closer to the date. I experienced this during my 2nd pregnancy and switched from a OB to a midwife at 30 weeks.)

I chose a midwife who was so sympathetic and encouraging with my 2nd born and had my VBAC, which was simply amazing. I have read that midwives just recently got the ok to practice in MO but most OB/GYN's don't work with them because their legalization is relatively new to the state. I was considering a Homebirth with Midwives but if I go with an OB/GYN hospital birth the co pay for my insurance is like 35$ (or some ridiculously low amount) vs $4,000 out of pocket for a HB.

Thanks to anyone with some info!

See less See more
#2 ·
Homebirth midwives have been legal in Missouri for 5 years now. The midwifery climate in Missouri is very politically and financially charged, at least IMHO. Physicians (not) working with them doesn't have nearly as much to do with the length of their legalization as much as it was the Physicians themselves who were working toward keeping them illegal.

There is one licensed/accredited birth center in the St. Louis area, the Birth and Wellness Center. (www.mybirthandwellness.com). Their midwives also do homebirths. They also accept many insurance plans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.