Having a water birth in Southern Illinois? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I currently live around Cape Girardeau, Mo, but plan on moving to Illinois very soon. I pretty much just found out I'm pregnant, but have done a lot of research and would really like to do a water birth in a hospital or birthing center. I'm just having trouble finding such a place in the area we're moving to! Is there anywhere anyone knows about between say, Anna and Mt Vernon that is water birth friendly? Any CNMs that are too? Like I said I've tried searching online myself but I'm not finding anything much and thought I might find someone who would already know the answer(s).

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Welcome MsKittyCatty! Congratulations on your pregnancy! Hopefully someone in your area will post with a recommendation to share. 

Have you joined your Due Date Club here at Mothering? You'll find all the Due Date Clubs here

Good luck!

#3 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM

I think you might have a difficult time finding a provider who will allow a water birth.  I did have one 9 years ago in Marion (Heartland Med Center) but with my last pregnancy I was totally shut down.  The hospital had a really nice moveable birth tub but they will no longer use it as far as I know, citing cleanliness issues according to the person spoke with on the phone.  They claimed that the tub could not be properly sanitized, but in reality, they probably just didn't want to use it anymore and the midwife who was responsible for acquiring the tub (and probably the only provider that respected her clients' wishes to use it) is no longer in the area.  My son is now 3, so this was while I was pregnant with him.  There are midwives at Heartland Women's Health ( a HUGE group practice) but the are under the thumb of the Dr.s and don't really get to practice midwifery.  I had a really bad experience there and ended up having a homebirth with a lay midwife, which was a really wonderful experience.  I think Carbondale has tubs you can labor in but it will depend on your MD if you are "allowed" to stay in it for delivery. Union County (Anna area) has a hospital but they do not have an OB unit.  I really don't know about any other hospitals north of Carbondale or Marion.  If you are happy with your provider in Cape, you might want to stick with them.  I am not pregnant now, but I have a new OB/GYN, Dr. Gates at New Horizons (?).  He is wonderful and although I have never birthed with him, I believe he would try his best to give you a natural birth in a hospital setting.  It is a big practice, but I have had good care there.  I hope that helps, god luck to you.

Happy wife of Treading.gif  mom to L lady.gif and Mjog.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 AM

It is my understanding that Illinois is not a natural birth friendly state - there are no birth centers that I know of in Southern Illinois.  When I had my son 4 years ago (I live about 40 min from St. Louis on the IL side), there were no natural birthing options within a reasonable drive.  Homebirth Midwifery has been criminalized in the state, so it was hard to find an open minded birthing community.  I know that there are more options in the Chicago area, but that would not be within a reasonable drive for me.  Just my 2c.

Nicole

Full Time Student Mama with a teenager blahblah.gif  a cool tween Peace.gif a rockin kid jammin.gif a pretty fairy  hearts.gifand a non-stop running machine joy.gif and still shouting about lactivist.gif  intactivist.gif  delayedvax.gif and signcirc1.gif
#5 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM

We are also in Southern IL. For us we decided that the drive to the far side of the St. Louis metro area is worthwhile. We are going to the Birth and Wellness Center in O'Fallon, Mo because it is really the best option around as long as I stay 'low risk' and the baby comes at the right time.
#6 of 6 Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses everyone! I finally decided on Ste. Genevieve Hospital. They allow waterbirth and they have a CNM I really like. When discussing natural birth options and even going delayed/selective vaccines afterwards they were very supportive. It's luckily close enough to Illinois, but I hope eventually more options open up without having to drive to MO!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page