Where to go for social skills groups and/or adolescent psychologist in Chicago area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, everyone -

I'm looking for a recommendation for social skills groups (for a 10-year-old with social skill deficits) and/or a good psychologist for a 10-year-old.

She has no official diagnosis, though I have always suspected she's somewhere on the autism spectrum. She was diagnosed as having "sensory issues" by a developmental pediatrician when she was in kindy, had some OT (which helped), and was doing good in her school that recently closed. Now, in a much larger school where she doesn't know anyone, she is struggling, and the problems she's had for years (but were forgotten because of her environment) are resurfacing with a vengeance. Help!

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I wanted to bump it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share? I hope you can find a group and/or counselor that you and your DD really like. :)

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 3 Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I doubt this is in your area, but "The Clubhouse" in Downers Grove has a Pragmatics Group which works with improving social skills. If you're looking for something more in Chicago I'd start by looking at Speech Therapists. That's how I found the clubhouse. Good luck!

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page