Young Family Relocating to the KCMO Area - HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Young Family Relocating to the KCMO Area - HELP!

My husband, son (will be 3 when we move) and I are relocating to Kansas City early 2015. I'm trying to do as much research ahead of time as possible. Where we live currently, we're apart of a natural parenting group that hosts playdates, events, parents night outs, bulk organic food buys, and just overall is a FANTASTIC resource. I'm sad to be moving away from it, but hoping to find something similar in the Kansas City area. Does this type thing exist there? I also currently buy pastured eggs from a local farm, I'm sure that'll be easy to find, but just scouting out places, suggestions? Also, as far as area's to live, where on the Missouri side (KS is not an option) could we find a place to rent under $1400/mo that has good schools, safe neighborhoods, parks, rec centers, and just overall is family friendly. We love spending time outside, hiking, running etc so hiking trails, running trails etc would be great! Lastly, we will be looking for a family doctor that accepts Tricare within the KC metro area. Any and all information is GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome! My family and I have been in KC for almost 6 years. Let's see if I can help answer some of your questions!

Natural Parenting Group: http://www.kcapfamilies.com/forums/ I've never actually gone to one of their get togethers (I don't think I'm on the board anymore either), but they seem like a pretty active group. Same with this one: http://www.meetup.com/Attachment-Parenting-Group/

eggs: There are tons of farmers markets in the area: http://www.kcparent.com/KC-Parent-Bl...-Market-Guide/

As far as place to go- it really just depends on what you're looking for. The Kansas City Public Schools are unaccredited. There are several private and charter schools in the city, so those are always an option if you are looking to live in the actual city. I would stay away from anything east of Troost. We live in the Center School district- it's still in KC, but the southern part. I really like it, but it is still an "urban" school district with all the issues that go along with that. If you're looking for something more suburban, you could check out Lee's Summit, Independence, or Blue Springs- they're further from the city center, but they have great schools and probably more walking trails, parks, etc.

I can't really help with the doctor- our pediatrician is Dr. Glotzbach at Cradle Thru College Care. We really like her, but she is very much a doctor doctor- which is what we were looking for, but I know lots of people on this board are looking for someone more "natural".

Hope that helps- welcome to KC!!
Old Today, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I know you posted this a while back, but I just stumbled upon it today. I'm currently looking for a pediatrician for my 2 toddlers, and was hoping someone had posted some info.

We moved to the area about 5 years ago. We live in Blue Springs and love it. Good public schools, even though our kids go to the Lutheran school (daycare). They have been wonderful with my food requests. There is also a really good Montessori preschool. There is great shopping and Blue Springs lake is close by for some outdoor activities.

Hope you enjoy KC!

Tags
kansas city , natural parenting , relocation , young family
User Tag List