2008 Iowa Mama's Thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
Is anyone still evacuated or are most of you home or close to it?
i didnt have any flooding but i drove down through cedar arpids last night on the way home from a friends house. we drove through the area closest to the river and it was bad. i feel so bad for everybody. all of their stuff was in piles on the street. some piles were more than 6 ft high. everything they ever owned. and the smell.. more like a stench.. of the stuff was horrible. it was devestating. i actually saw my DH cry a little as we drove by some of our friends houses. he had helped some of our friends clean up and it was awful. he said the sludge was everywhere and it made him gag. you could see the marks on the houses where the water was. it was right below the roof. you could see the dirt left behind. one person had a boat in their yard. my friends fence was picked up and left 3 yards down. that is what i saw in cedar rapids.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM

I talked to some of the librarians at the Hiawatha library, and they said that the Cedar Rapids downtown library collection seems to be fine. They said no bookcases fell and almost everything looks salvageable. I was really relieved to find that out.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSaylorBoat View Post
I talked to some of the librarians at the Hiawatha library, and they said that the Cedar Rapids downtown library collection seems to be fine. They said no bookcases fell and almost everything looks salvageable. I was really relieved to find that out.
At first they thought they would be able to salvage many of the books that were higher on the shelves. But it was reported in the paper just yesterday that what the water didn't get the mold did so the whole downstairs collection was now ruined. The upstairs children's area is fine but all the lower level books, movies, mags, and reference materials are a loss.
The mold is so bad now that you can't enter without a haz-mat suit! So sad!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Chryseis - congrats on the arrival of your little boy! :

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM

HappyHippieMama - congrats on the arrival of your little boy! :

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
Chryseis - congrats on the arrival of your little boy! :
Thank you.

I was actually thinking about you yesterday, 'cause I used your Monster Good Bread recipe to make bread. I made one cheesy loaf and one cheese-less, both turned out absolutely delicious. :

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 AM

Wondering if there are any to be found in the Iowa City area? Thanks!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:51 AM

As a doula I just attended a birth with Iowa City Photographer Rachel Eng. I was so impressed by her work and wanted to share. She takes beautiful pregnancy, birth, and also newborn photographs. She does amazing work and has the fly on the wall approach in the labour and delivery room." Check out her blog or birth gallery. www.racheleng.com

: babywearing, doula mama
Old 07-08-2008, 04:24 PM

What's the water quality in North Liberty? Is it hard water? I'm wondering about this for my diaper wash routine. We're moving there in a few weeks. Thanks!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, I thought I'd give you all a halla and let you know about a fundraiser in the Iowa City/Coralville area to help flood victims - They are going to be collectingknit or crochet - No needling snobbery will be had! - small squares, make them into wonderful blankets, and then raffle off the blankets to raise money for the Johnson County Crisis Center to help flood victims.

Three ways you can help:
  1. KNIT or CROCHET! Make 6” x 6” squares out of any washable worsted-weight yarn. Drop off the squares between July 5 and August 8, 2008. You can take them to the Crazy Girl Yarn Shop in Coralville or Home Ec Workshop in Iowa City. (Use any leftover washable yarn, or stop by the Coralville store to pick up donated yarn for free! Use any stitch pattern and color that you like.) If you’re not in town, you could mail them to the Crazy Girl Yarn Shop, 1150 5th Street, Suite 152, Coralville, IA 52241.
  2. SEW! On the weekend of August 9 &10, we’ll sew the squares together into a blanket (or maybe a few blankets!) at the Crazy Girl shop in Coralville. (Ann will give free lessons all day in the crochet slip-stitch method of sewing up!)
  3. BUY RAFFLE TICKETS! Buy tickets at the Coralville store or at Home Ec between August 8-24, 2008 for a chance to win a wonderful blanket and raise funds for the Crisis Center.

I thought we could maybe meet up on Saturday morning at Home Ec in Iowa City since they have Saturday morning SnB, I'm sorry... Knitter's Breakfast every Sat. morning at 10:30.

Since they are one of the drop off locations I thought that would be a great place to meet up and do our needle craft and drop off any donations at the same time.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
What's the water quality in North Liberty? Is it hard water? I'm wondering about this for my diaper wash routine. We're moving there in a few weeks. Thanks!
We don't use a water softener and I don't have problems with hard-water build up. As city water goes, I find it to be better than Iowa City and Coralville's. I wash diapers in a front-loading washer - doing a cold short cycle with no detergent to rinse, then a hot or sanitary cycle with Method unscented detergent. Occassionally I put vinegar in the "softener" cup, sometimes I do an extra rinse. (Obviously I have no strict routine!) The diapers are always very soft out of the dryer, and though they get a bit stiff on the line in the summer they are still soft. Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions!
Angela
Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 AM

subbing, and hello there!

I am currently just south of Seattle, and we will be moving to Des Moines, IA at the end of August. Anyone on here in Des Moines?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:07 PM

Hey Hey! I found this cool hip consignment shop in CR! It's called Crazy Daisy and is at 7th St and 3rd Ave. In the old Fin and Feather building if that helps anyone. Next to Phelans.
Anyway, it's an awesome store! Lots of retro and fun housewares, a few pieces of furniture, women's clothes, lots of nice shoes, purses, etc and a fair amount of artwork. There are some awesome sets of chairs and a cool dining table that I'd love to have a place for. Clothes are nice and mostly name brand-not a big deal to me but I did find some nice things for just a few bucks each.

Anyway, everything in the store was 1/2 off today (Sat) and I'm not sure how long that will last. They are trying to clear space for fall stuff.

If you get a chance you should stop by.

I really miss the great thrift stores of the west coast and this was a lot like the ones I used to frequent.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:35 PM

Ice Cream Social and Birthday party
July 27, 2008 Sunday
2 - 4pm

For anyone who is interested. RSVP via PM for directions if you want to come.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
Hey Hey! I found this cool hip consignment shop in CR! It's called Crazy Daisy and is at 7th St and 3rd Ave. In the old Fin and Feather building if that helps anyone. Next to Phelans.
What side of town is that on? I've been here over a year and I still suck at finding places.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD View Post

I am currently just south of Seattle, and we will be moving to Des Moines, IA at the end of August. Anyone on here in Des Moines?

: Welcome to the thread! I know that there are a couple mamas that are in the DSM area. I'm in Iowa City, but go back over that way a couple times a year to see family.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
What side of town is that on? I've been here over a year and I still suck at finding places.
It's on the SE side on the edge of the downtown area.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD View Post

Hi! I'm currently in Chicago but we're also moving to Des Moines this August. I'm really looking forward to connecting with some mamas from here.

PS: I lived in Seattle for 8 years right before I was married and had children!

See you soon.

Jenifer
Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 AM

Hello Ladies,
I am expecting baby #3 in October and am planning to deliver with the midwives at the Univeristy in Iowa City. However, my daughters are flower girls in a wedding in Cedar Falls one week before my due date. I am planning on taking my mother-in-law as a backup caregiver for the girls, but would like suggestions on the best hospitals for delivery between IC and the WL/CF area. My last baby was born 11 days past her "due date", so I don't have much expectation for an early delivery. However, I also slept through much of my last labor, and waking up in time to drive to the hospital, hang out for an hour, and deliver. If that happens again, I'd like to have a good idea of where to go for the least number of interventions.
Angela
Old 07-22-2008, 01:57 PM

It's only 1.5 hrs of driving from Waterloo/CF to IC so I'd just plan on driving back if you even think you are starting to labor.
I really doubt you want to try to have a baby in an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar dr. They are unlikely to follow any birth plan you have since they do not know you or any risks you might have. Any of the hospitals in the area are going to be similar in their interventions-it is IA after all.
I think Mercy in CR is a little better than Luke's in CR but I don't know alot about Covenent or Allen Hosp in Waterloo.

If you are feeling at all like you might go into labor can you send the girls to the wedding with grandma and demand they take lots of pics and you stay home? I honestly would not risk it if I was having signs. If you're feeling fine then go for the day and head home.
Good luck

Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
If you are feeling at all like you might go into labor can you send the girls to the wedding with grandma and demand they take lots of pics and you stay home?
That is definitely the plan - however we will be there for 2 days - Friday for rehersal, Saturday for the wedding. Having gone to bed not thinking I was in labor and waking up just a couple of hours before delivery last time, I just want to have all my bases covered!
Angela
Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 AM

What is you called set up 'back up' care with one of the homebirth midwives in the area? Or had one of their phone numbers to call just in case? They could always come to the hotel, or where you are staying.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 AM

Our next meeting is this Saturday, August 2, 2008

What: A meeting about babywearing!!

Who: Anyone interested in carrying their baby or child on their body using cloth carriers such as slings, pouches, wraps, and traditional baby carriers. Children and their caregivers are welcome.

Why: • Meet others interested in babywearing
• Experiment with and get tips for using different baby carriers
• Learn about the benefits of babywearing.

When: First Saturday of every month, 1-3 PM

Where: Grounds for Dessert Coffeehouse (meeting room in the back), 345 S. Dubuque St. in the Court St. Transportation Center

: babywearing, doula mama
Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Beware if you ever have to request a replacement social security card for your 5 year old, adopted son, born in a foreign country and god forbid if the country is Guatemala!

I thought I would be so smart and go onto the ss website and have all my ducks in a row before I hauled both kids with me to the office. It told me exactly what I needed and I was ready. When I get there they said I would need a document from a doctor stating who he is. I questioned why this would be more important than the goverment document of his State of Iowa birth certificate and the papers from the judge from his readoption and changing his name. They just said something from the doctor is more valid.
Shocking how powerful our doctors have become!!

The employee at the ss office was rude and very skeptical that what I had was accurate and was my ds even an US citizen. I was having a hard time not coming unglued!! Luckily I actually had the kids with me and the armed security guard out front helped me keep it together.

I guess the hardest thing to understand was this was for a replacement card. Not the original which I never had to have anything from a doctor then.
So after three trips to the office it was finally processed!!

Beware when shopping at the Hy-vee on waterfront. My wallet was stolen out of my purse out of the shopping cart. I have heard of a couple of other similiar situations. This is why I was having to replace my ds card in the first place since the doctor had requested it for when we went for his kindergarten physical and I put it in there for the next day!

Anyway thanks for listening to me rant!! I wont even go into my rant about registering my ds for school. We dont have enough space for that.....

It has just been one of those weeks!!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM

We're hosting a little hootenanny potluck tomorrow in Coralville. There will be lots of musicians jamming, good food, and kids running around. MDC families are welcome- PM me if you'd like details. :
Old 08-09-2008, 10:54 PM

Mamas,

Friends of Iowa Midwives is hosting an August meeting and picnic in Iowa City. This would be a great chance to meet and greet folks if you are interested in joining our cause and should be lots of fun!

Details:
Aug 16th at Creekside Park in Iowa City
1:00 General Meeting
2:00-4:00 Picnic -- bring a side dish to share, we'll provide the rest. Please let Lauren ([email protected]) or Monica ([email protected]) know if you are interested in volunteering for misc. duties.

CLICK HERE TO RSVP!

And check out the FOIM website (link in my sig) if you haven't already.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 08-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Does anyone know if there's anything going on in Cedar Rapids?

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if there's anything going on in Cedar Rapids?
Depends on what you are looking for.....there are lots of activities, maybe more information would be a good thing

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 AM

I know the farmer's market is up again downtown on Sat mornings. They have music in addition to the market sales.

Brucemore is having their annual Art on the Lawn on Aug 23-it's always a fun event.

I think the Freedom Fest events are being rescheduled soon too but not sure of the details.

If you can get a Penny Saver on Wednesdays it lists all the events/festivals/happenings for the week.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:44 AM

Anyone here from the Okaboji area? My husband's company may be branching out there and he may head it up. So I want to put out my feelers for what kinds of homebirth/midwife/babywearing/AP type options are around there just incase we have to consider relocating.

Thanks

User Tag List