Midwifery in Missouri Legal! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2008, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, CNMs, come on over to Missouri! How great would it be to have a birth center in STL??? There is definitely a missing niche that could be quickly filled!!! A girl can dream, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 PM

This is so great!!!

Momma to Oscar 2/13/10
Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Yay, that's great! I hope my state will follow suit soon.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:31 AM

Yay, Yay, yay! Thanks to Sen. Louden and all those who worked so hard to make this possible!!::: Bring on the CNMs!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Er....don't you mean, 'Bring on the CPMs' ??? That is, Certified Professional Midwives....non-nurse, Direct Entry Mws who are now legal under the MO court ruling on the legislation Louden snuck in last year.

CNMs are nurse-midwives who may well be legal in one way to practice homebirth in accordance with this new law--but they have their own Med/Nursing Practice Act regs to deal with. Unlike CPMs, who are not under the med and nursing boards in the state (and I hope I don't sound too ignorant here, since I'm not from MO--just saying how it is in my state next door, which I suspect is quite similar in MO)
Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 PM

Does anyone know if there was an appeal filed? I have been trying to contain my excitement for the 10 day waiting period. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Of course it was over on July 4th, so maybe we'll have to wait until Monday to find out?

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
Old 07-06-2008, 04:08 AM

MsBlack, that is correct... CNMs were already legal. I am working with one. She was a DEM in another state and did the additional work to become legal here. I have heard there are only two in the state that do homebirths, but I am not positive.

simplelife - I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything about the possibility of an appeal. From the news I read, it sounds like the biggest battle will be in the legislature. This article says something about a "rehearing" but says they are rarely granted:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...7?OpenDocument

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama-mana View Post

simplelife - I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything about the possibility of an appeal. From the news I read, it sounds like the biggest battle will be in the legislature. This article says something about a "rehearing" but says they are rarely granted:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...7?OpenDocument
Thanks. I just used the wrong word! I couldn't remember what it was the term was called that they used in the article.

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
Old 07-07-2008, 03:00 AM

I hope hope HOPE that this has enough steam behind it to get more states on board. I am a doula, moving to Iowa and want to start my CPM training there. WTG MISSOURI!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple life View Post
Does anyone know if there was an appeal filed? I have been trying to contain my excitement for the 10 day waiting period. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Of course it was over on July 4th, so maybe we'll have to wait until Monday to find out?

Julie
It's official! No appeal to be filed Check it out here.

Now we just need some of these ladies around StL to get themselves certified!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 PM

YEAH!!!! Yes, and please do it quickly!! I hope to be pg this summer, and would LOVE a midwife!!

Speaking of midwives . . . I have two emails into FOMM asking for an informational packet, but have not heard back. Can someone on here help me? Feel free to pm and I'll send you my email addy. TIA!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 AM

I'm glad that this means that all the midwives (certified or not) won't be felons anymore. Remember, a lot of cut-happy obs are certified.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:30 AM

Is FOMM still the place to go to find a midwife?

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanelleB View Post
Is FOMM still the place to go to find a midwife?
It's a good start.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 PM

:
Just wanted to jump in and say congrats!
Lets hope this paves a way for IL :
Old 07-15-2008, 01:21 PM

I am super excited about this! Being a MW has been my dream for well over 10 years and now there's a possibility it can become a reality!

Michelle, mother of 5, Lactation Consultant

Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 PM

I have been on the West Coast for several months and missed this fantastic news! I am *so* happy for all of the women and children of Missouri! I hope IL can adopt a similarly accepting policy...

:

~* Laura
Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM

An informational packet from FoMM! I laugh, but then again... maybe soon it'll be a good idea.

Midwives who are practicing illegally don't give out informational packets.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
Midwives who are practicing illegally don't give out informational packets.
LOL.

hola.gif
Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 PM

From the Friends of Missouri Midwives website: "To receive an informational packet about FoMM and midwifery in Missouri, send us an email" so I guess that's a little confusing....I also thought that I would be able to get something in the mail but I guess not....

A + B = B nut.gif (10/05) & C joy.gif (03/09) 
Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobeborn View Post
From the Friends of Missouri Midwives website: "To receive an informational packet about FoMM and midwifery in Missouri, send us an email" so I guess that's a little confusing....I also thought that I would be able to get something in the mail but I guess not....

Me too. But my emails were never returned. I just wanted more info about FOMM, the organization, not the midwives themselves. Sounds like something I might like to get involved in! HOwever, now that it is legal in MIssouri, the role of FOMM may change.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM

Wow - this is old news, but awesome news!!! I just heard about it as I am beginning my planning of TTC #2 and desperately wanted a legal homebirth and now I'm finding out that is a possibility!!!:

WTG Missouri!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Oooooh. Thanks for pointing that out on the web site.
I'll bring that up at our next statewide meeting. FoMM is a bunch of mothers so we tend to get busy and not have time to answer all emails and phone calls. Especially now that midwifery is legal -- way more people want referrals, most midwives are not yet CPMs so not yet legal, and there still aren't nearly enough of them. I'm sorry we don't respond to every phone call or email.

The best thing to do is come to a meeting if you're in an area where we have meetings. St Louis, St Charles, and Rolla have regular FoMM meetings. Columbia/Jeff City and Springfield also do, I think. Kirksville has Birth Circle. KC is trying to get a meeting going but needs a critical mass of people.

The role of FoMM is expanding now that midwifery is legal. And we have a lot of work ahead of us to keep it legal, as the medical associations are already throwing all their money and clout at repealing their legalization.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Wanted to add that the Springfield FoMM has its meetings on the third Monday of each month (usually). I think one good way to get plugged in is to find the yahoo! group for your local FoMM and join... that way you get meeting reminders, etc. At least, I don't know if they all have one, but the SPFLD one does and it is helpful.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Good idea, Gnatty, thanks.
There's a link on friendsofmomidwives.org to the statewide and STL yahoo groups, but we should get the regional ones on there. That is a great way to find places to learn more about midwives for people who can't make the evening meetings.
For instance, FoMM will have a booth at ICAN's BOLD Red Tent on Monday in the St Louis area.

User Tag List