Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 PM
acp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post
Does anyone know... is it hard to get in at either of those places? I'm more interested in A Woman's Place just based on what I've read, but we're not 100% sure we'll be living in the Chicago area by the birth and if I have to start care here and then transfer mid pregnancy, I'm worried that I won't "get in". How many patients do they usually accept? Do they have to turn people away ever?
You mean you're currently living elsewhere and then transfer to one of them if you do move here, even if it's partway through the pregnancy?
Honestly, I do think both practices are currently getting swamped really really quickly. When I looked into them back when I was about 8 weeks into my pregnancy, Sarah Simmons was already booked for my due-date month, and the only reason she took me on was that she decided to take on a lay midwife as a collaborator and accept more patients. She said she's been getting swamped really quickly lately. AWP was still accepting patients at that time, but after my initial interview with them, when I was still waiting to meet Sarah to decide between the two, they called me to tell me that I had to decide very soon if I wanted to go with them since they were also getting booked much quicker than usual.

Of course, I suppose it's also always possible that someone moves away during their pregnancy or gets cold feet about a home birth and they have a spot open up. Maybe the best thing would be to call them and tell them your situation, and see if the think they're likely to be able to take you on partway through the pregnancy.

But maybe I'm reading your question wrong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, you read it right. I would like to start seeing one of them even if we don't live in the area YET because I don't want to switch providers mid-pregnancy as I'm guessing they'd be booked for my month. Though it's annoying as we are not 100% positive of if/when we'll be moving as my husband has had 6 interviews and he has 3 more next week, but doesn't actually have a job there yet. Argh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page