Homebirth questions, IL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, DH and I agreed that we really would like to do a homebirth for baby #2 (since this one will be the last) and so now I need to know where to go. I live in South Elgin, IL and have been looking online at all the midwives who do homebirths.

Right now I am thinking of going with Homefirst since the Rolling Meadows office and Naperville offices aren't too far out of the way and they seem to have everything I am looking for. Does anyone have any experiences with Homefirst? I have read a lot of messages about the pediatric care but have not seen too many on the homebirth services.

I also hear a lot of people talking about Sarah Simmons, Jennifer and Jewel. The messages are so positive that I would certainly look into going with one of them except that they are in the city...and anything in the city right now is kind of out of the way. Do they travel out this far??

So, other than those I have listed....are there any more homebirth providers out there that you would recommend? Any info you can all give me would be great!! PM's are welcome too. Thanks again for all the help.

~Aurora
#2 of 20 Old 08-29-2008, 05:36 PM

My CNM is situated in Libertyville, but I'm not sure how far she'd travel and that could be quite a haul for you to go see her.

At one point I thought I had to switch providers (due to insurance, but my DH and I worked it out with my CNM.) I did some research into other providers, but didn't interview.

Here were a few that were referred to me:

Homefirst - Their $2000 concierge fee (which is not covered by insurance) really turned me off.

A Woman's Place and Sarah Simmons - I heard great things as well.

Dr. White in Franklin Park - I heard nice things about him and I actually almost had an appointment with him. His office staff was extremely great to deal with on the phone.

If you want additional info that I might have, please PM me
#3 of 20 Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 PM

Sarah will travel further then Jewel & Jennifer would, I think.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#4 of 20 Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 AM

Aurora-
I don't have any new providers to suggest, but both Jen/Jewel and Sarah would travel to me in the far north suburbs. I liked both practices very much. I'd suggest meeting with both and seeing who you clicked with most.
Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy!
Meg
#5 of 20 Old 09-02-2008, 03:35 AM

Sarah said that she would travel to me in Streamwood. I never contacted Jewel and Jennifer, though. I've never been able to figure out if Diane Bajus-Abderhalden is still around - she's been 'moving soon' for 2 years now. But she is/was in St. Charles.

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#6 of 20 Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 PM

options are definitely limited - but at least its better than downstate!

A Woman's Place (Jewel and Jennifer) would probably charge a distance fee (I believe they said $200 to travel to Libertyville - north suburb).

I have heard great things about Sarah, but she did not return my calls/emails to set up an apt.

Homefirst - I have heard somewhat mixed reviews from friends (a nurse never showed, when they were supposed to) - but mainly I have heard good things - and I like Dr. Einstein's philosophies, etc. on birth. But the $2K charge is too much for us...

Dr. White - have also heard good things.

Debbie Boucher is just starting out and is in Libertyville (I'm sure she was the CNM mentioned earlier...) - not sure if she is traveling that far or not...

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#7 of 20 Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 PM

I am also newly pregnant and looking for a homebirth midwife. I live in Lake Bluff, IL. I see there are basically 3 choices in this area but I am wondering if anyone has had any personal expereinces with any of them. I know that Debbie is the closest to me but I am a little concerned that she is such a "fresh" CNM. I have also looked at Jen and Jewel's website. They have their statistics listed on their website which I think shows great integrity. I am a little concerned though that they have an 18% home to hospital transfer rate and given that their practice is 50/50 home/hospital that bothers me a little but I would love to hear others personal expereinces. I have also heard of Sarah but she does not have a website so I don't know much about her.

I am planning on interviewing all 3.

Please feel free to e-mail me at spencerrn@yahoo.com

thanks so much!
Rachael
#8 of 20 Old 09-02-2008, 07:17 PM

I am currently with Sarah Simmons and she is perfectly fine with attending my homebirth and I am in Lombard. She may be willing to go a bit farther west.
#9 of 20 Old 09-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Diane bajus is back-and in the western suburbs. I had a homebirth with her on short notice in mid August-I cannot say enough great things about her. She rocks!
#10 of 20 Old 09-03-2008, 12:15 PM

I thought she was moving! She is AMAZING
#11 of 20 Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Does anyone have contact information for Diane? I had given up on the idea of homebirth b/c the closest providers were too far away - but St. Charles isn't that far! I'm excited now thinking this might be possible :
#12 of 20 Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'd be interested is Diane's contact info too. St. Charles is like 10 mins from me...thanks...
#13 of 20 Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, the latest with Diane is that she actually did move. She has a house in Arizona and also lives here part time. So, she's back and forth. And she's taking very limited births and mostly referrals or repeat customers.

But, worth getting in touch with her --- if she calls you back!:

Hard state for a homebirth. Our choices are so limited.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#14 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 AM

I just attended a homebirth as a doula where Jennifer was the midwife. She was awesome! I hope to be able to work with her again some day.
#15 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciar_aurora View Post
I'd be interested is Diane's contact info too. St. Charles is like 10 mins from me...thanks...
I am just seeing this thread now and you may already have Diane's contact info, but if not here it is:
Phone 630-587-9647
Email AuthenticMidwifery@ameritech.net

I have more homebirth & pregnancy resources on my webpage too. http://www.vdoula.com/resources

best of luck to you!!! :
#16 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I did get a reply back from Diane saying she is in AZ now...so what can you do.

Sarah was fully booked and not taking anyone new, and I never heard from Jewel & Jennifer (but I really wanted to avoid the city anyway...so no big deal)

So, after all my research and what not I have decided to go with Debbie Boucher in Libertyville. She's very nice and I feel really comfortable with her...even though its somewhat of a drive to get there....it'll all be worth it in the end. I am very excited!!

Thanks again for the help.

~Aurora
#17 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So, after all my research and what not I have decided to go with Debbie Boucher in Libertyville.
congrats - I'm using Debbie too and due April 2nd w/my second (she was our doula w/#1).... let's hope our fetuses have some good mental telepathy going to avoid labor w/in 24 hours of each other!!!!

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#18 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Okay, DH and I agreed that we really would like to do a homebirth for baby #2 (since this one will be the last) and so now I need to know where to go. I live in South Elgin, IL and have been looking online at all the midwives who do homebirths.

Right now I am thinking of going with Homefirst since the Rolling Meadows office and Naperville offices aren't too far out of the way and they seem to have everything I am looking for. Does anyone have any experiences with Homefirst? I have read a lot of messages about the pediatric care but have not seen too many on the homebirth services.

I also hear a lot of people talking about Sarah Simmons, Jennifer and Jewel. The messages are so positive that I would certainly look into going with one of them except that they are in the city...and anything in the city right now is kind of out of the way. Do they travel out this far??

So, other than those I have listed....are there any more homebirth providers out there that you would recommend? Any info you can all give me would be great!! PM's are welcome too. Thanks again for all the help.

~Aurora
Hey! We are in South Elgin too. My was born April 9, 2008. I am not personally into HBs so I can't help, but I wanted to say hello.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#19 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I did get a reply back from Diane saying she is in AZ now...so what can you do.

Sarah was fully booked and not taking anyone new, and I never heard from Jewel & Jennifer (but I really wanted to avoid the city anyway...so no big deal)

So, after all my research and what not I have decided to go with Debbie Boucher in Libertyville. She's very nice and I feel really comfortable with her...even though its somewhat of a drive to get there....it'll all be worth it in the end. I am very excited!!

Thanks again for the help.

~Aurora
Awesome news! Good luck to you!
#20 of 20 Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 PM

I am using both Debie and Sarah. I have a unique situation though as I am a HBAC patient. Sarah is willing to travel to me in the Round Lake area, though she was a bit put off by it at first. She is kinda hard to get a hold of. Se doesn't return calls very well and having to keep pestering her makes me feel a bit bad, but she was really nice when we did meet.

Debbie may be newer to the HB arena, but she seems to be trying really hard. Since she won't be the primary at my birth i feel a bit better about it, though she is in charge of the majority of my prenatal care. i really love her "office" set up. Is anyone here taking her bradley classes starting in October?

Home first docs were nice, but again, since I am a VBAC, they refuesed to take me as a patient. THey will take a VBAC if the woman has had a vaginal birth since the c-section (so a secondary birth, not primary). The only bad thing i have heard about their HB practice is that they run it like a hospital birth. What I mean is you get a nurse or 2 that will stay for 8 hrs, then the next shift comes in. Doc shows up for the very end to deliver the baby. You get who is on call.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page