St. Louis-CHEAP secondhand stores for baby& home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just moved here a little while ago and this weekend we went to Once Upon A Child to get my ds some new clothing and I was sooo dissapointed. I guess I've been sort of spoiled bcause back where we used to live there was second hand store geared toward pregnant moms and babies that sold very nice items for very little money. You could get onsies for about 25-50 cents each and we got a very nice bouncy chair there for $20. Everything was pretty good quality. At Once Upon A Child they didn't seem to have much baby stuff, it seemed more geared toward older children, and everything was extrememly expensive. If I am paying a few dollars for a onsie, then I might as well just get a pack of them new somewhere, it would cost the same, if not less.

Does anyone know of a good second hand baby store that sells things for better prices than Once Upon A Child? Ofcourse, I don't want tattered clothing or broken toys for my ds, by I don't mind clothing thats a little faded and i couldn't care less about name brands, everything I buy for ds will have spinach stains in no time anyway! I am looking for very basic things; onsies, creepers (especially this since they seem to be had to find in stores for children over 6 mo.), crib bedding, toys (especially wooden), those baby nightgowns that are sewn together at the bottom like a wearable blanket, babyproofing stuff, etc.

Additionally, if anyone has good reccomendations for general thrift stores with a good selection, I would love to hear those too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to add that i am looking for used children's books (especially for babies & toddlers) as well.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 PM

I frequent the Salvation Army in Florissant (270 at Grandview Plaza) - every day they offer 50% a certain tag color. You have to dig, but you can find some great clothes. It's rather hit or miss, though.

Children's books are inexpensive at the local Goodwills (children's paperbacks are $.30 and hardbacks are $.50).

For toys I go to the Goodwills in the (not to sound elitist, but...) wealthier parts of town. I'm always amazed at the stuff I can find that are in fantastic shape. I frequent the Chesterfield Valley, 141/Manchester and Baxter/Clayton locations.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM

craigslist has been the best deal for clothes. I bought a huge, really nice wordrobe for my 1 yo for around 80 cents an item. Otherwise, I find most of the used clothes still too expensive. I can buy new clothes off season for cheaper than I can find at most resale shops. I also go to goodwill.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 PM

There is a consignment sale coming up on Sept. 27th & 28th in Crestwood. I went last year and found some good things that were really reasonable. Here's the website for more info: http://www.storklady.net/
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What about Kangaroo Kids? It's been a few years since I was in there, but I know they used to sell gently-used kids' clothing.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
Old 09-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntNi View Post
What about Kangaroo Kids? It's been a few years since I was in there, but I know they used to sell gently-used kids' clothing.

In my experience, Kangaroo kids is more expensive than once upon a child. It's a good deal if you are into designer names.

Also, the storklady sale is better the second day when they have items half off. It's within walking distance to my house, so I usually stop by.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 AM

Not sure what part of town you are in, but if you're anywhere near North County, Value Village on Natural Bridge is worth checking out. As PPs said, it's like the Goodwills, etc in that it is very hit and miss and you have to dig. But the prices are good, it's huge and very well organized. Each day, a certain tag color is 50% off and another is 75% off. The last Wednesday of each month, everything in the store is half off! I have found lots of great things there, including a Hannah Anderson winter coat for $4! I don't care about name brands, but it was exciting to get a bargain on an item I could never afford otherwise. I believe there are other locations, including one on Watson Road? But this is the one I'm familiar with. Happy hunting!

Christina, proud mama of 2 strong, brilliant, creative, kind, beautiful girls from A to Z. Wife of 11 years to best friend and awesome papa, Brian. :::
Old 09-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Yes, there is a Value Village on Watson...I cant remember the name of the plaza, its between makenzie and laclede.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM

There's a Value Village in Florissant (Lindbergh/Patterson), too.

Oh, another option is the HHV on Olive (I'd say it's a couple of miles east of 170) for books. You can buy 10 books for $1. Now, let me mention that there is no rhyme or reason to their books, but, again, if you're willing to dig you can hit the gold mine.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM

I don't know where you are, but if you're in the city, the value village on Delmar and Grand is worth a trip. Its huge, creepy, dark and dirt cheap. A total crapshoot as far as quality goes, but when stuff is 10 for a dollar, who cares? Its also near the goodwill and salvation army on Forest Park.

For a more reliable selection I second craigslist for all your baby needs.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Liza mentioned the thrift stores on Forest Park, and if you are in the city this is thrift store mecca!! Goodwill, Salvation Army, and St. Vincent DePaul are all within one block of each other on Forest Park just west of Vandeventer (between Vandeventer and Boyle, I think).

Lots of junk, you have to dig, but I get many things on this thrift store row.

familybed1.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifwinner.jpgintactlact.gifdoula and mom to a 9/2/9 boy
Old 09-12-2008, 04:23 PM

I too recommend craigslist. A family thrift store just opened at KingsHighway and Chippewa. I haven't been in so I don't' know how the prices are, but it's a nice looking store.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieDH View Post
I too recommend craigslist. A family thrift store just opened at KingsHighway and Chippewa. I haven't been in so I don't' know how the prices are, but it's a nice looking store.
How do I miss these things in my own neighborhood!? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Kangaroo Kids is too expenisve..... unless you can buy ahead of time, like buy winter stuff in the summer when they discount it.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 PM

I'm a huge fan of children's consignment shops and have found OUAC to be the least expensive out of all of them. I went there when my DS was an infant and racked up on a lot of things and still go to this day and he's nearly 3.-- To name a few, there is Kangaroo Kids (who I'm not a huge fan of because they don't seem to have a big selection of things there), The Purple Cow (on Gravois in South County), Finders Keepers (Kirkwood), but overall, I've found OUAC to be the best value...
Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizafava View Post
How do I miss these things in my own neighborhood!? Thanks for the info.

I live right by that new thrift store and have been meaning to go in there....maybe that is something I'll do this weekend with DS.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:31 PM

i always hear that kangaroo kids is too expensive-but i continue to find amazing deals there every time i go!

on the dollar rack i found perfect jeans for my 8 yr old girl(x3), khakis for my 6yr old girl, sweaters for a friends 4 yr old boy, swimsuits for the baby, sun dresses for all girls, boys shorts, t shirts galore, and long shirts for my girls as well.

ive found very cool, fun onesies and creepers for my 16m old for less than 2.50 each.( the kind youd buy at hot topic in the mall)

i found an EUC REI winter coat for my 8 yr old for less than 15$!!! (it was almost 80$ new)

ive found barely used, really good quality shoes( indoor soccer shoes, but we use as regular sneakers) for 8$( new around 50$)

ive found cloth diapers for less than 5$ each.

Ive gotten great gear-like playpens, bouncy seats, and high chairs for around 25-35$ depending on the item.

toys for the kids are a great find there-and books galore and well priced too.
we outfitted all the kids there for halloween this year, and got a fair trade 100% wool coat for my polyester allergic baby this year for less than 30 bucks.

PLUS-i can let my kids run around and play while i shop-and i know they will be ok-i cant do that at goodwills.

and we can eat fast healthy food there while we shop and play.
(and we continue to support a store that offers FREE breastfeeding support and advice. thats worth a couple of extra bucks.)

(and you can ask to be put on a list for things-they will call you when it comes in-i got a pack n play this way-and winter boots, and a bathtub ring as well)

we live paycheck to paycheck and money is retarded tight for us-but kangaroo kids continues to have the best deals on outfitting our three daughters in whatever clothes, shoes, and other items they need.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
i always hear that kangaroo kids is too expensive-but i continue to find amazing deals there every time i go!

on the dollar rack i found perfect jeans for my 8 yr old girl(x3), khakis for my 6yr old girl, sweaters for a friends 4 yr old boy, swimsuits for the baby, sun dresses for all girls, boys shorts, t shirts galore, and long shirts for my girls as well.

I agree. KK has some commendable qualities. I should go once in a while. Maybe I'd actually be able to find shoes to fit my baby's short, chubby feet.

User Tag List