Experience with Prentice Women's Hospital for birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 37 Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to add what I know, since this thread has so much good info.

A good friend chose an OB at Prentice. She was told at her first appointment (8 wks pregnant) that she was probably too small for natural birth and would need a c-section. (umm, ok, 'cause you can tell that from looking at her?) She was over 5' tall and normal-shaped (i.e. had curves, normal weight, etc.).

They really primed her for the c-section, plus told her they were sure she'd deliver early. When that didn't happen but she had PUPPS and was uncomfortable, she got induced a couple of weeks before her due date.

She was lucky and had an uncomplicated induced vag birth w/epidural that took about 6 hours. Really lucky to avoid that c-section! She was satisfied with her experience, but it gives you an idea of what it's like there.

I had Jennifer from A Woman's Place for ds' birth, a homebirth. We called too late and she arrived after the baby was born, but I have a high opinion of her. I feel she would have respected me during birth as she did before and after. I will definitely see her for baby #3, if we have one! I never got a chance to know Amy although I met her once . . . anyone know where she is or what her plans are? I hope she hasn't left the state or stopped doing homebirth, because IL is so short on legal homebirth providers.
Sponsored Links
#32 of 37 Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 AM
I gave birth twice at NMH-Prentice prior to the re-do. The second time, I told everyone point-blank that I didn't want an epidural or to be offered one. The resident came in no less than 6 times to ask me if I wanted or was ready for an epidural. I got pressured into an epidural with my second birth there. So when I got pregnant with #3, I switched the midwives at Swedish Covenant Hospital, and got my natural, no-drugs and no-offers-of-drugs birth. I highly recommend the midwives at SCH and SCH in general. They offer special post-partum rooms for moms of NICU babies (my first was a NICU baby and I got to recover at NMH on a floor full of screaming newborns while my baby was 8 floors below me in NICU), have the LCs visit *every* mother after birth (I only saw a LC at Prentice because I happened to be next to her in the NICU one day and called her over), and only offer rooming-in. I don't think there are places for dads to stay overnight in the post-partum rooms, but this was never a point of preference for my DH and me.

#33 of 37 Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm so glad to hear this, Caroline!
#34 of 37 Old 01-14-2009, 02:09 PM
FYI, here are Chicago area hospital's c-section rates, for those of you who are interested (this was posted on our ICAN mailing list). May give you all some food for thought when choosing a hospital.

Hospital name/deliveries/live births/c-sections/% (rounded)
West Sub/2,234/2/225/451/20%
U of C/2,860/2,798/731/26%
Illinois Masonic/2,946/2,931/928/32%
UIC/2,844/2,714/says 0 but they must not have responded/??

As a comment about UIC, according to the ACNM website, they have the lowest c-section rate in the city and one of the lowest in the state, so I'm guessing it's at or under 20%....

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#35 of 37 Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
That is interesting. Thanks for posting. I wonder what West Sub's section rate is in the ABC rooms with midwives as opposed to "regular" patients.

ETA: This blog says UIC and Alexian did not report c-section rates.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#36 of 37 Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for posting. I'm curious what the rate is at Evanston Hospital (and St. Francis) too. That's where I gave birth to DD last time (we're planning a home birth this time) and had a great experience - about as good as a hospital birth can be - though that probably was mostly because of my midwife. Still, I felt like the hospital was very supportive of my plans, didn't have any policies (like requiring internal monitoring or IV or procedures we didn't want) that were onerous, and the nurses were great and supportive - not one offered me an epidural, and it was a very long labor.
#37 of 37 Old 01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
I had a baby 6 months ago at the new Prentice with the midwife group there and they were awesome!! I had to be induced at 39 wks bc of low amniotic fluid (they had warned me it was possible a few weeks before and I did lots of natural things to increase which worked only marginally). I was skeptical because I didn't want to be induced but it turned out to be the smart thing, they broke my water later and a mini trickle came out. But I didn't use pain meds and had a water birth. They were very supportive of me and I never felt any push to do anything I didn't want.

The hospital is AMAZING and the rooms were the best. Our room overlooked the lake and Sat night after I had the baby we watched the Fireworks reflect off the lake from Navy Pier. DH and I guessed that it would be a $600/night hotel room with that view!!

If you are looking for a hospital birth but as natural as possible, I would suggest using NMPG midwife group. Love them!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page