Chicago area....fun pumpkin patch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a fun place with pick your own pumpkins, wagon rides, etc? Anyone have a favorite spot?

TIA!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#2 of 13 Old 10-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What about Bengston Farms in the south Chicago suburbs (I think Orland Park). I went there when I was a kid and loved it. Took my son there last year and loved it even more. They have hay rides, a fun house, pig races. corn maze, pony rides some animals etc. I don't recall the prices but this place is great. I plan to take my son there when we move back in three weeks from AZ. Happy fall!
#3 of 13 Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 PM

I like Goebberts near Huntley.
http://www.pumpkinfarms.com/

It is a bit of a drive, but worth it. There is lots of room for the kids to run around and things for them to climb on, etc. You take a wagon ride to actually pick your own pumpkin off the vine which is rare as most places just have a field with pre-picked pumpkins that have been trucked in.

I went to Bengston's once and was very disappointed in the whole experience. It was just really tacky compared to Goebberts. It was small and crowded on a weekday. I wouldn't return.
#4 of 13 Old 10-04-2008, 01:05 AM

Kuiper's Family Farm is really fun.

http://www.kuipersfamilyfarm.com/index.html

It is lower key than Goebberts (Goebert's is nice) but I prefer Kuiper's since it seems less busy.

Have a fun time where ever you go pumpkin patching!

eta: Be sure to stop by Heritage Prairie Market on your way. They are the wonderful!
http://www.hpmfarm.com/
#5 of 13 Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM

I love Goeberts. There is one in South Barrington on Rt. 72. It is a bit $$$, but I have been going there every fall since I was 5.

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
#6 of 13 Old 10-04-2008, 10:59 PM

If you don't mind going a little further west than Kuipers, Honey Hill Orchard is a wonderful family orchard, with no admission charge. Apple picking, pumpkins, cider donuts mmmmmmmmm :

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#7 of 13 Old 10-06-2008, 02:20 AM

I prefer County Line Orchard (~75 min from Chgo) in IN. We went to Apple Hollerbecause it was recommended, but found it was WAAAAAY too much going on and really packed. County Line is better laid out and has a nicer petting zoo area, I think. Last time we went anyway, you didn't have to pay for the wagon rides like you do at Apple Holler.

How old is your child again? You might be better off going to one of the park district Fall fests. Many of them have the pumpkins (pre-picked of course) as well as petting zoos, pony rides, mazes, face painting, etc. Look on their websites under "events".

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#8 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
I prefer County Line Orchard (~75 min from Chgo) in IN. We went to Goebberts because it was recommended, but found it was WAAAAAY too much going on and really packed. County Line is better laid out and has a nicer petting zoo area, I think. Last time we went anyway, you didn't have to pay for the wagon rides like you do at Goebberts.

How old is your child again? You might be better off going to one of the park district Fall fests. Many of them have the pumpkins (pre-picked of course) as well as petting zoos, pony rides, mazes, face painting, etc. Look on their websites under "events".
You must be speaking about the Goebberts in South Barrington as the one near Huntley does not charge for the wagon ride to the pumpkin patch and everything is really spread out, so IME, it never seems crowded.
#9 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelilacs View Post
You must be speaking about the Goebberts in South Barrington as the one near Huntley does not charge for the wagon ride to the pumpkin patch and everything is really spread out, so IME, it never seems crowded.

Ooops! Thank you for that. I was hearing about so many new orchards and forgot the name of the one I went to. I think Goebbert's was one of my top two so I mixed up the two. I was talking about Apple Holler. I corrected my previous post. Thanks!

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#10 of 13 Old 10-08-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone and thank you! We ended up going to Goebbert's pumpkin patch and had a wonderful time! We really liked it!
http://www.pumpkinfarms.com/

I think we may try out some of these other farms too if we have enough time before they close. I had so much fun! Man, I just love that kind of thing :

Thanks again!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#11 of 13 Old 10-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
I prefer County Line Orchard (~75 min from Chgo) in IN.
I prefer this one, too. Tried Kuipers last year, and it was OK (nothing wrong with it) but I much prefer the atmosphere at Co. Line Orchard.

One I'd AVOID is Johansen Farms in Bolingbrook. It was icky, icky. The worst part was the pathetic treatment of the animals. I would not go back.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#12 of 13 Old 10-12-2008, 10:37 PM

We went to Bengston farm today and I was dissapointed. Thank goodness my son will be 3 in two weeks otherwise it would have cost him $11 (2 yrs. old and under set are free) to get in addition to $2 for the train ride or any of rides, and $3 to ride one of those poor ponies (which we didn't do). It was packed, frenetic and had a cheesy amusement park feel. I was also mystified WHY during the hay(less) ride, pumpkins were launched into the adjoining subdivision retention pond...? I don't get it...
#13 of 13 Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 AM

My friend just told me about a pumpkin patch out in Garden Prairie where they bought an 84 lb pumpkin for $10! I cant remember the name of the place I think it is like Julies farm or something. So if you want a huge pumpkin, go west.

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page