Looking for Pediatrician in Chgo area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a pediatrician in the Chgo area. I live in Elmwood Park. They need to accept All Kids, be open to a delayed/no vaccination schedule and be supportive of breastfeeding. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated. I am due on 1/11 and giving birth at the ABC at West Suburban.

Thanks!

Kelli
#2 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 03:37 PM

There was a thread awhile back on this topic, let me search it for you. By the way -- I live in Oak Park -- check out my siggie for the local AP group.
#3 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Kelli, I would ask the midwives -- they will have some recommendations. Try Locke and Uchitelle in River Forest. Not sure if they accept Allkids.

I found the thread I was referring to, here it is This thread discusses alot of family practioners/peds in the area that might accept AllKids. I belive the original poster ended up finding a practitioner and she posted the name. Good luck and happy birthing!
#4 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the recommendations and thread link. I have a list of doctors to call. Pedios is accepted by AllKids. Can I ask why you left their practice?

Kelli
#5 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylgirl View Post
Thank you for the recommendations and thread link. I have a list of doctors to call. Pedios is accepted by AllKids. Can I ask why you left their practice?

Kelli
Kelli, I am actually back with Pedios. But let me say this -- I don't tell my peds anything about my parenting practice and any advice they give me about parenting I ignore. That being said, Pedios is supportive of breastfeeding -- not sure for how long. I don't talk about co-sleeping, I just feel like it isn't the doc's business. Also, I do most of the vaxes I delay on some and haven't had an issue with them.

I initially left b/c there is one doc there I really dislike. She gave parenting advice that I could not ignore.

Alot of people really like Uchitelle and Locke, I really liked Uchitelle in the few appts I had with her. The reason I left was b/c of an issue that occurred right after my homebirth. I think she is good for alot of people and seemed like a strong doc -- but due to this encounter I could not go back.

I have heard good things about Mercola but his is merely tolerant of delayed or no vaxing.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned in that thread someone in the West Cook County Attachmetn Parenting group posted about this group of docs and really likes them: Dr. Kyle on North ave
#6 of 7 Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 PM

We've been extremely happy with Dr. Minkus who is pro eclusive/extended breastfeeding & no vaxes/delayed vaxes. He doesn't dispense with parenting advice unless asked. He has 2 offices one in Skokie by Old Orchard (west side of the Edens) and one in Lincolnwood on McCormick.

We travel 30-45 mins. from where we live to see him because it's worth getting a peditrician that collaborates with parents & not paternalistic about their opinions.

On another note, if you opt to have West Sub's ped team do post delivery procedures and postpartum baby checks while there, they are completely supportive of delaying or declining the routine eye ointment, hep b, vit k.
#7 of 7 Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 PM

^ Dr. Minkus does not accept All Kids, and neither does Dr. Ettner in Evanston.

We are going to see Dr. Cano (family practice) up in Ravenswood. One of the members on this board recommended her, and she has patients who are non-vaxers or delayers and is fine with it. I guess I will have to see how that really is when we go in next month. I recommend checking her out. I have All Kids as well, and it is very hard to find a pediatrician who accepts the insurance that isn't going to get angry with you for your vaccination choices.

Here is a link to her website:http://www.advocatehealth.com/db/phy....html?pid=3070

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page