Apple Orchards in Chicagoland? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What apple orchards have you liked? We went to Apple Holler last year. It's so pricey . . .and just not what I'm looking for. I want to pick apples for a reasonable price and not end up paying a ridiculous amount for the experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 AM

We went to County Line orchard in Indiana a couple years ago. It was ok, but didn't have the best variety. Honestly, the best apples I've had are from Nichol's Farm - they sell at several of the Farmer's Markets in town and they have an AMAZING variety of heirloom apples. Not super cheap or pick-your-own, but the Apple Guy knows everything. And theiy're delicious.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#3 of 11 Old 10-19-2008, 02:23 AM

We went to Heinz Orchard in Libertyville. It was $14 for a big bag. I can't remember what kind was fabulous, but there were some that rocked!
#4 of 11 Old 10-19-2008, 07:31 PM

They are all picked out for this year, but if you are up for a drive next year, check out Honey Hill Orchard. No entrance fee like some places, not a huge busy place, but a wonderful family orchard with the best cider donuts ever.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#5 of 11 Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 PM

If you dont mind driving west a bit (towards Rockford..in Boone Co), there is Edwards Apple Orchard. We have already been there 3 times this year, and I am going back sometime this week to get their home made soaps. They have the best apple donuts, and the kids have so much fun, even if we decide not to go apple picking.

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
#6 of 11 Old 10-20-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerstar View Post
They are all picked out for this year, but if you are up for a drive next year, check out Honey Hill Orchard. No entrance fee like some places, not a huge busy place, but a wonderful family orchard with the best cider donuts ever.
This is the place we like to go too.Actually we just went yesterday.They have apples to buy in the store and you can pick pumpkins and raspberries still.They also have some really friendly farm animals.

#7 of 11 Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM

http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com/ Not as good as it used to be, but one of the better places I have picked apples. lots for the kids to do also
#8 of 11 Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemom View Post
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com/ Not as good as it used to be, but one of the better places I have picked apples. lots for the kids to do also
We went last year and wont go back. We had gone for years before that too. We found a place in Milwaukee and it takes the same amount of time from our house- Bartels.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 11 Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Amy, where is the place in Milwaukee? Would you mind telling more about it. I live in Evanston. It's probably closer or the same distance as a lot of these places.
#10 of 11 Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 PM

http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/ILpumpkins.php

here's a great resource

: babywearing, doula mama
#11 of 11 Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cat View Post
Amy, where is the place in Milwaukee? Would you mind telling more about it. I live in Evanston. It's probably closer or the same distance as a lot of these places.
oops spelled wrong-

http://www.barthelfruitfarm.com/

A friend of ours in Milwaukee recommended. We all went together. Its smaller than some of the ones around here and nicer as well. I guess up there, people move a bit slower! The country air was wonderful but its a quick distance from the metro area of milwaukee.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page