visiting Chicago in December - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
i'll be in Chicago in December with my 3 year old and 20 month old for a weekend.
What are the best thing's to do with kiddies this age? I'm thinking it is going to be very cold.
thanks,
c
#2 of 6 Old 10-27-2008, 05:09 PM

I was just coming here to say we're going this week! eek!
I posted here (on tbw) and got some great suggestions.
Enjoy your trip.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#3 of 6 Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 AM
acp

It is indeed likely to be cold then, but there's still a lot of fun things to do.
I think the Lincoln Park Zoo is fun in any season, and has the added advantage of being free - if it's too cold you can spend more time inside in some of the exhibits (our toddler particularly likes the Regenstein Africa House).
I also think the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum (quite near the zoo) is a lot of fun for kids that age - very reasonably priced, not too overwhelming, and they'll love the butterfly room and the play area downstairs, among other things. I think they're probably a little young for the Art Institute or Museum of Science and Industry, but I've heard that the lower floor of the Field Museum is great for younger kids (we haven't gone yet, but are planning to take our now-16-month-old there this winter). The Aquarium is right next to the Field Museum, and they might love that. It can be very expensive, though if you don't want to spend $20 (or whatever it is) you can ask for tickets to *just* the Aquarium (not the special exhibits or oceanarium) for $5.
Finally, I think that Macy's on State Street is keeping up the tradition that Marshall Fields always had of wonderful CHristmas windows to go look at (though I'm not certain about that). I have great memories of coming downtown to look at the Marshall Fields Christmas windows in December when I was a kid...

Have fun!
#4 of 6 Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM

I second the Christmas windows, they are magical! If you are going to museums, we used to love the Children's Museum at Navy Pier. Navy Pier has a lot of cool things going on at Christmastime
#5 of 6 Old 11-12-2008, 01:18 PM

I would have to say I would visit the Kohls Childrens Museum in Glenview. It is so great! It is ALL hands on. The kids just love it. You can look it up on line. It is the best!
#6 of 6 Old 11-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior mama View Post
Hi,
i'll be in Chicago in December with my 3 year old and 20 month old for a weekend.
What are the best thing's to do with kiddies this age? I'm thinking it is going to be very cold.
thanks,
c
Also check out the Christkindlmarkt at Daley Plaza. Lots and lots of German imports -- glass ornaments, gingerbread, LOTS to eat and see. And if it is too cold, there are places to go to get warmed up. It is really one of Chicago's great seasonal festivals.

Valerie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page