Childbirth Classes in St. Louis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am looking at different childbirth class options in St. Louis. I am interested in the Bradley Method, Birthing from Within and possibly Hypobirthing. I haven't decided upon any specific class yet, however, I am having a hard time locating any classes at all in the St. Louis area outside of the normal hospital lamaze classes.

Does anyone know of anyone that teaches any of the above classes? Also, is there one over the other that you might recommend? My goal is to have our baby naturally and I really think I need some sort of class to help me prepare.

Thanks so much!!
#2 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 02:21 PM

Jamie Bodily teaches a Holistic Childbirth Class:

Quote:
Holistic Childbirth: This innovative and exciting class approaches childbirth as an experience that touches family in multiple ways--physically, emotionally, and spiritually. In addition, we look at how culture, social, and political factors influence birth, birth rituals, and current obstetrical practices. This class is very hands on--we utilize lots of exercises, games, and hands on projects to help improve memory of important concepts. Partners will learn techniques to help soothe, comfort and calm the laboring mom. We will cover interventions and the process of birth, you will learn how appropriately timed and used interventions can improve birth while inappropriately used interventions can interfere with the process leading to more interventions. The goal is to help families feel prepared for the joys and challenges of giving birth and for working well with their support team. Next Express Class is November 1, 2008 from 10am-5 pm and lunch is included.
www.parentscount.com

Maybe it's something you'd be interested in.

tree-huggin', outdoor lovin' paleo-eatin', crossfittin', homebirthin', placenta eatin', doula, wife and mom to 2 girls (06 & 08)

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 3rdtri.gif * * 40 * *

#3 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM

Pm'd you a long list
#4 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM

My chiropractor's wife is a Bradley instructor. Until recently, she managed the office, but has since gotten a different job. I am not sure if she is offering any classes. His name if Geoffrey Norton

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#5 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 PM
kbl

Nancy Elfanbaum was our doula and she is trained in Birthing From Within. We didn't take the BFW class from her bc we were living in another city, but she works w people privately (we LOVED the BFW class we took). I delivered in 9/06 and I think she took a break from the work for awhile, but try her: crowningmother@yahoo.com. She was absolutely fabulous as a doula and I can't recommend her highly enough.
#6 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 PM
kbl

Oh, also: after BFW we took the "regular" childbirth class at MoBap - it was HORRIBLE!!! We were the ONLY couple in the entire class who was even planning to do natural childbirth, and the awful nurse intructor basically made fun of us the whole time. I would recommend doing your own childbirth prep and staying away from the hospital!

I also used a meditation CD called "Preparing for Childbirth" (on the Sounds True label) that I found really helpful. (IMHO) Basically to pull off natural childbirth, you just have to practice meditation as much as you can while you're pregnant.
#7 of 12 Old 10-30-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl View Post
Oh, also: after BFW we took the "regular" childbirth class at MoBap - it was HORRIBLE!!! We were the ONLY couple in the entire class who was even planning to do natural childbirth, and the awful nurse intructor basically made fun of us the whole time. I would recommend doing your own childbirth prep and staying away from the hospital!

I too, was the only one planning natural, but the instructor was totally for it and really tried to open the other womens eyes up. Not to convince them they had to go natural, but did a good job of explaing the pros and cons of both and talked to them about trusting their bodies. (I took the class at MoBap in 05).

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#8 of 12 Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am delivering at Mo Baptist... glad to know that I should avoid their childbirth class. My DH already doesn't think I can follow through all natural, but I am convinced now more than ever to prove him wrong! Has anyone tried hypnobabies? It's kind of pricey to study at home... not sure if it's worth it. I think a BFW class or something similar would be good for both me and my DH!!
#9 of 12 Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM

Last I heard no one is teaching BFW in St. Louis since Nancy stopped teaching it.

We have some excellent Bradley instructors, though. Mine was Kim Martino-Sexton, and she was good.
#10 of 12 Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 PM
kbl

"My DH already doesn't think I can follow through all natural..."

I would really recommend you have a doula. You need someone who KNOWS you can do it, and reminds you that you know that! I had a great experience w natural childbirth at MoBap, but that's bc my doula (Nancy Elfanbaum) and my doctor (Gary Wasserman) were totally supportive. The nurses there definitely are trained to assume you want drugs. So if you are relying on them and an unsupportive (or unconvinced) husband, I think it would be very easy to be talked into drugs when your defenses are down (labor).

If you are truly committed to doing natural childbirth, I would try to educate your husband on why, so he is on board; and have a doula to help you actually do it.
#11 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantesia28 View Post
I am delivering at Mo Baptist... glad to know that I should avoid their childbirth class. My DH already doesn't think I can follow through all natural, but I am convinced now more than ever to prove him wrong! Has anyone tried hypnobabies? It's kind of pricey to study at home... not sure if it's worth it. I think a BFW class or something similar would be good for both me and my DH!!
MoBap was were I went unmedicated. Only when I first walked in the room (I was pretty far in labor at that point) did the nurse tell me that *if* I wanted an epidural I'd have to finish an IV bag. Since I refused an IV it was a moot point. Not one person at the hospital mentioned it again.

You can do it. It's an amazing experience for you and your bean.

My husband took a BFW knock-off class. I wouldn't recommend the class/teacher, but it really helped get our game plan *before* we showed up in labor.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#12 of 12 Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM

Mo bap recently introduced a natural childbirth class only for families planning natural childbirth. It was decent, really good for DH. I did that in conjuction with hypnobabies, which I love. The hypnobabies is more strategy for coping with labor and the class is more whats happening physiologically, post partum care, using a birthing ball etc. If I was only taking the mobap class I would defin. hire a doula.

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page