Support in St. Louis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is St. Louis a decently supportive place for things like breastfeeding, babywearing, ECing & homebirthing? We are considering moving there and I would like to know.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#2 of 18 Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM

I would say yes It may take a bit of time to find your niche, but it is here. Different areas of St. Louis and the county have totally different feels to them so that would make a difference as to the support. Pretty much every mom I know babywears, breastfeeds, etc. but that is who I have surrounded myself with through local playgroups, hang outs, etc.

My ds was a planned HBAC (ended up transferring), and homebirthing isnt great here yet, but its on its way. Midwives were just legalized this past year and there are several practicing in the area, as well as one doctor who does homebirths.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#3 of 18 Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

I was almost hearing crickets chirping in this thread.

Thank you for your response, green.

#4 of 18 Old 11-06-2008, 12:05 AM

no problem...there are a lot of STL mamas here, but we are not always very active in the tribe forum. If you do a search, in the past year there were a bunch of threads about relocating to STL with lots of good advice about neighborhoods, etc.

Would love to have you here! Good luck with whatever you decide

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#5 of 18 Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

#6 of 18 Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 PM

I agree with greenmagick. It's supportive for most of your list and will hopefully get better in terms of homebirths and midwives. I'm pretty happy with STL.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#7 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM

Yeah, St Louis doesn't have huge numbers of moms who parent like this, but we have enough. Dozens. And they're super friendly and easy enough to get together with.

We have Cotton Babies and Kangaroo Kids. We have an awesome free zoo and museums and more.

It doesn't take a lot of natural-parenting moms to make a place good, when the ones we have are so friendly!
#8 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 05:52 PM
kbl

Got to chime in: yes! Of course you have to find your tribe, but we are here. I recently love Hartford Community Cafe in the Tower Grove neighborhood. I also love living in University City - a very cosmopolitan, broad-minded community full of academic folks who have seen the world and love it here.
#9 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Of the 4 things you mention I can only speak to babywearing. We see baby wearing mamas all over the place. If I happen to not notice one my daughter will say "Sling, momma, Sling" and then insist on taking a peek at the baby.

Do you know where in the St. Louis area you'd be moving to? Are you looking for city living, inner ring suburbs, or outer suburbs? Is it for a specific sort of job?
#10 of 18 Old 11-08-2008, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
Do you know where in the St. Louis area you'd be moving to? Are you looking for city living, inner ring suburbs, or outer suburbs? Is it for a specific sort of job?
Not yet. Somewhere close to the rail, hopefully
City living.
No, not job related.

Thank you all for your replies! It is positive and appreciated.

#11 of 18 Old 11-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Around Tower Grove park is nice. My sister and a bunch of my friends live there. The park has a farmers market in the summer and a bunch of festivals too. I'm not sure how it relates to the rail system there but there are a lot of busses.

I'm fond of Maplewood. It is a first ring suburb, close to the light rail system and they have a Farmer's market too.
#12 of 18 Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Dar

We live in the Skinker - DeBaliviere neighborhood, and like it a lot. It's close to metro stations, Forest Park, and the Loop (like, you could walk to any of these fairly easily) but because of the way the roads are set up it's not on the way to any of them, so there's not much traffic. It's generally quiet and friendly here, very diverse, lots of community activities, nice parks... we are in the city limits, so the schools apparently aren't great - we homeschool, so it wasn't an issue.

Wash U is also a short walk away. I go to school there, but they also offer lots of stuff that's open to everyone - lectures, movies, arts events, museums, etc. It's also a gorgeous campus...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#13 of 18 Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 PM

I live in South City, am a big fan of STL City living! Not a mom yet, but my friends who are live around Tower Grove park, both north and south of the park and have started some very good parenting co-ops and even a montessori charter school. I'm south of that area, can't really afford the neighborhoods near the park but Hartford Coffee Co is a good community spot there. Very, very affordable city as cities go!
Not as progressive as some, but we're working on it.

familybed1.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifwinner.jpgintactlact.gifdoula and mom to a 9/2/9 boy
#14 of 18 Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
We live in the Skinker - DeBaliviere neighborhood, and like it a lot. It's close to metro stations, Forest Park, and the Loop (like, you could walk to any of these fairly easily) but because of the way the roads are set up it's not on the way to any of them, so there's not much traffic. It's generally quiet and friendly here, very diverse, lots of community activities, nice parks... we are in the city limits, so the schools apparently aren't great - we homeschool, so it wasn't an issue.

Wash U is also a short walk away. I go to school there, but they also offer lots of stuff that's open to everyone - lectures, movies, arts events, museums, etc. It's also a gorgeous campus...

dar
I live in Tower Grove South and am a big TGS cheerleader. But I've recently discovered Skinker-DeBaliviere (pronounce, for some reason, "deboliver") and its really great!

Theres lots of crunchy folks here, but not so many that we can afford to be too cliquey . There are 12 or so moms in my playgroup and most have planned homebirths, all breastfeed and babywear. But we a relatively diverse bunch spiritually and politically.
#15 of 18 Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 PM

I would say St. Louis is an excellent place. We have thriving LLL meetings, a homebirth community that is very connected--a hb doctor, underground mw and more in training, 4 ICAN meetings a month, an ec support group, a baby wearing group, an API group, 2 whole foods, 4 Trader Joes, food co-ops, lots of homeschooling groups, etc. And those are just the ones I've been to. I never knew I was crunchy until I became a mother....I say I'm crispy, not crunchy.....I still have lots from my past that is very non-crunchy.

keep us posted!
#16 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM

I'm in St. Louis in Skinker-DeBaliviere looking for a good coop. We're switching to a mostly organic diet. I found a little bit about City Food Coop in the Tower Grove area (where we used to live) but would love to know if there are any other good coops around, or from anyone who is part of City Food. TIA!
#17 of 18 Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM

Don't forget, we have Dr. Wessling here, too!::

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#18 of 18 Old 12-03-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the info!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page