Need help having a baby in MN! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 01-13-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I'm from California and we are most likely moving to the Twin Cities area in April. I am pregnant with a baby due towards the end of May. This doesn't leave me with much time to get settled and find a doctor/midwife, doula and hospital. Any recommendations? Here are the facts:

This will be a hospital VBAC so I guess I need info. on hospitals that will do vbacs (hardly any hospitals where I live now will do them.)

I would like a doula (preferably vbac doula) and I would love to have midwives instead of an OB if my insurance will cover it.

Our insurance will be Blue Cross Health Savings Account. Does anyone know what that entails? I've never had a HSA before.

The areas that we are looking at living right that are close to DH's work are Eagan, Apple Valley, and Rosemount and the surrounding areas.

Eventually I'll need info. on pediatricians(we don't vaccinate), allergists and other things so if anyone has one that they love, you can throw that in there too but I'll make a separate post as our moving situation becomes more clear.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM

I'm not sure which hospitals do VBACs.

For doulas, you can check out the childbirth collective: http://www.childbirthcollective.org/

More info on birth professionals:
http://www.minnesotabirthnetwork.com/

I used to live in Apple Valley, and the LLL there was very active. I believe they still have a weekly playgroup, in addition to regular meetings.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 30 Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Hi mama, welcome to the Minnesota board! Right now we're under about 4" of fresh powder snow and in the middle of a snow emergency (it's just related to plowing routes and parking!)

Here's the ICAN website: www.ican-online.org which lists hospitals VBAC status. (See the VBAC policy database)

The hospitals in the metro Twin Cities area with VBAC allowances are:
HCMC-Hennepin County Medical Center (Downtown Minneapolis) *MW unit *waterbirth
Abbott Northwestern Hospital (Downtown Minneapolis)
St. Joseph's (Downtown St. Paul) *Highly recommended *MW unit
NOT on the ICAN VBAC allowed policy database. But, this hospital is rated #1 for natural childbirth in the TC area.
Fairview Ridges Hospital (Burnsville, MN)
Methodist Hospital (St. Louis Park, MN) *MW unit
North Memorial Medical Center *MW serviced by private practice MW *waterbirth with MW

The other hospitals are provider decisions to allow VBAC's so it would depend upon the providers practice.

For doulas check out the Childbirth Collective

For pediatric health care providers I highly recommend Dr. Heidi G. Anderson at Quello Clinic. Both of my girls see her.

Good luck!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#4 of 30 Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 PM

I'd recommend Hennepin County Medical Center. It's one of the few hospitals in the twin cities where Midwives are doing VBACs. This midwife group has a good reputation for low interventions. I had my son there and would probably have had a c-section if I had been anywhere else.
The Childbirth Collective is the best place to find a doula.
Congratulations and welcome to MN.
#5 of 30 Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Thanks OmGirl for the VBAC friendly hospital info, I didn't think there were that many here that allowed VBAC. Here is a great thread with experiences in different hospitals:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=717975

I don't know anything about the BC savings account, it sounds like you have to pay for appts, then they reimburse you. I could be totally off though.

We take DS to Dr. Reib in Lakeville. He IS pro-vax (which irritates me for muliple reasons) however he doesn't seem to blink an eye if you are no-vax or S/D. He didn't even mention them at DS's 2 year appt. I like going there because his is an integrative medicine doctor: http://www.lakevilleintegrative.com/

We love Rapp Chiro in Rosemount, great with everyone infants to adults: (651) 423-2900

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#6 of 30 Old 01-14-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the great info. and links! I'm kinda excited to have my baby in MN now. We don't seem to have all these great options in CA where I live. Or maybe it's just my insurance.

Anyway, as a follow up question, for those that have had vbacs, are there any hospitals that don't require continuous monitoring? Or is it up to the doctor/midwife? Anything else you can tell me about vbacs at any particular hospital?

Thanks again!
#7 of 30 Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM

I birthed at St. Joesph's Hospital in St.Paul and the caregivers were excellent. The midwife practice I went with was Generations http://www.generations-whc.com/ Long story short, I ended up with a c-section, but for my next birth, which will be a VBAC (!) I am going this same route. I trust both the hospital and Generations very much
#8 of 30 Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM

I also used the midwives at Generations. They are generally considered to be the most consistant at not being "medwives" However they are located on the north side of the emtro, so that may be a consideration.

Anyway, I gave birth at St. Joes and for normal births with no epi, they only do an initial baseline monitoring strip, then nothing after that. It may be different for a VBAC though.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#9 of 30 Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 PM

I can't remember if you said you are here yet, or moving soon, but there are VBAC awareness workshops at Blooma in Minneapolis http://www.blooma.com/ The one on the 1st of Feb. is about finding a provider (I don't know if you will be here yet)
#10 of 30 Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 PM

Is St. Joe's allowing VBACs now? The last I heard they transfer all VBAC moms to birth at St John's or Woodwinds ...
#11 of 30 Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 PM

I don't think St. Joseph's does VBACs.
#12 of 30 Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Check out this website for info about local hospitals:

http://www.freewebs.com/doulasarah/localhospitals.htm

Every hospital does VBACs except for St. Joe's. I do think that all of them require continuous fetal monitoring with VBACs, unfortunately.
#13 of 30 Old 01-17-2009, 12:34 AM

If you chose to VBAC in a hospital, you can expect continuous electronic fetal monitoring. If you have had one low-segment transverse c-section there is a 99% chance that the uterine scar will not be an issue during labor. That's because a scar in the lower segment of the uterus just needs to stretch, it is in a "passive" part of the uterus. (A classic c-section leaves a scar in the "active" part of the uterus, the part that is contracting to birth the baby.) There is a 1% chance that the scar will open, which of course can be quite dangerous for both mother and baby. The normal sensations of labor often mask the sensation of the scar opening, so providers don't rely on the mother to notice if something is wrong. The best chance of identifying a scar that has opened is to watch the baby's heart rate very closely throughout the process of labor, and to do a repeat c-section very quickly if it does.
#14 of 30 Old 01-17-2009, 12:40 AM

Why wouldn't St Joseph's do VBAC? I thought St John's and St Joe's were under teh same proceedures.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 30 Old 01-17-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

I called Generations to ask them a few questions and you are right, St. Joseph's does not do VBAC. The midwife I talked to said it's because St. Joe's doesn't have an OB there 24 hours a day and also something about the nicu not being as high a level as other hospitals in the area. She also said that they (Generations) do all their vbacs at St. John's and that if I don't have pitocin or an epidural then I may not have to have continuous monitoring. She said if I went with them, they would want to see my c-sec. report and also info. from my previous vbac.

I'm loving all these links you guys are posting!

My husband got back from St. Paul last night and his poor body doesn't know what to do with the 70 degree weather we're having today. He said everyone at his office is trying to assure him that these temps aren't normal. I hope they're right!
#16 of 30 Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 PM

I live in Apple Valley- it has great schools and we love it here. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I drove all the way to St. Johns and Generations to get my VBAC- it really isn't that bad of a drive. It's worth it.

As for Blue Cross with a health savings account- you really need to get all your ducks in a row before the baby because this stuff is really complicated. You have to open the account before the baby is born and have the money you will need for the deductible which can be very high. But Blue Cross will cover lots of providers which is good.

You should also join the API yahoo group- it is an amazing group of families and there are lots of doulas on the list. And if you start getting to know everyone on line now it will make things so much easier once you are here. And we bring you dinner once the baby is born! I also think our group's VBAC rate is freaking amazing. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TwinCitiesAPI/

Welcome!! It isn't horrible most of the year... just January and February.

Maureen

Maureen
#17 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 PM

I hope you like MN! There are lots of great things about it, we have beautiful, wonderful summers, for one!!

Congrats on the baby! I live in Brooklyn Park (so NW suburbs), and I can't answer any of your questions specific to VBAC hospitals, insurance, or anything like that, sorry! I just wanted to say thanks to Maureen for the link to the Yahoo group - I didn't know it existed and it will be great to connect with more AP families!
#18 of 30 Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies...

We are still looking. I am actually going to be in St. Paul this weekend to hopefully find a house to rent. I have an appointment with Generations midwives on Friday morning and if that goes well, I guess St. John's it is.

So I have a follow up question. I've never had a doula before and I would really like to have one this time. By the time we move out there I will be 36-37 weeks and that leaves very little time to find a doula. I looked at that Childbirth Collective website and they are having "All about Doulas" night on Thursday night at 7:30 (I fly in at 9:30). My husband is in MN right now so I think I might send him to the meeting before he picks me up at the airport.

So my question is what should I tell him? What are these meetings like? Should he try to find a VBAC doula there? or get references? Is he gonna feel totally out of place coming straight from work in a suit (and being a man) or are there other dads there? He's totally happy to go, I just want him to be prepared with the right questions since I won't be there.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
#19 of 30 Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Tell him I think he ROCKS! Suit ok, pretty casual. Lots of daddies but none of them alone so he will be treated like the rock star that he is for being brave and taking such good care of you. He will get a list but honestly it is short notice so he should ask specifically who's available for a VBAC for your due date. Tell him to take notes and get names and just figure out who he thinks you would like. Then when he gets home you just start making lots of phone calls and interview anyone who is taking births for that time. Then make sure you like them and that they support the birth plan you and your hubby have. If that doesn't work, you can email me or one of the doulas about posting your need to the list and having anyone who might be interested get in contact with you. The meetings are wonderful and the Collective doulas are wonderful. It will all work out, I'm sure.

Maureen
#20 of 30 Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 PM

I'm a Childbirth Collective doula, and I'll be at the Collective meeting on Thursday, tell him to look for Rebecca and I'll say hi to him.

Suit is fine, he might be the only one, but so what? There will almost certainly be other men there as well, and we often have a man showing without his wife because she's sick or something. That's no big deal.

We have Childbirth Collective meetings every Thursday in St. Paul and every Monday in Minneapolis, so even if you miss the All About Doulas one, you can make it to a different one, it would just be a different topic.

R~mama to 3

#21 of 30 Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 PM

I 2nd Heidi. She is GREAT! Hey, R! I met you at a collective meeting

Randine , Wife to Chris , mama to Gracie (3) and to Soren (07/08/2010)
#22 of 30 Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Why wouldn't St Joseph's do VBAC? I thought St John's and St Joe's were under teh same proceedures.
HealthEast has three hospitals, St. Joe's, St. John's, and Woodwinds. They only do VBACs at John's. If you can talk your (OB)provider into staying on the unit the whole time you are in the hospital, you might be able to get a VBAC at one of the others, but that's not likely either.

R~mama to 3

#23 of 30 Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Actually Mercy in Coon Rapids allows VBAC's also (I had two of them there) but that is not in the area the OP will probably want to be delivering in if she's moving to the Apple Valley etc area.

Continous fetal monitoring--I showed up too late in the process for my first vbac--DS2 was born 31 minutes after I walked in the door. I was still in triage getting checked in when I told the nurse I had to push so no monitoring happened there. With DD I refused. The nurse was on my side but the dr wasn't so happy. We agreed on 5 minutes of monitoring every 10 minutes for a total of 20 minutes out of the hour. Not ideal and probably a PITA for the nurse but at least I was free to move around in ten minute blocks. I believe I had to sign something saying I accepted risk by not adhering to continous monitoring or whatever but I'm not certain on that.
#24 of 30 Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childbirth_Fanatic View Post
Hey, R! I met you at a collective meeting

R~mama to 3

#25 of 30 Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions. I had decided going with Generations and giving birth at St. Johns. I even had an appointment there with one of the midwives while I was in MN looking for a house and was excited to give birth there.

But...the baby had other plans and I am now sitting in a hospital in Utah with a newborn.

We packed up our house in CA and loaded up the moving van on Wed. On Wed. night we left and drove 6 hours to Winnamucca, NV and spent the night. Our plan was to get to Salt Lake the next day and spend a couple of days there with my family who were in town for my sister's college graduation, and then continue on to MN on Sunday. Well, we woke up at the hotel on Thurday morning and I got up, and my water broke (4 weeks early). After panicking for a moment, I decided that I was NOT having a baby in Winnamucca, NV (which was voted the armpit of America) and we jumped in the car and drove 6 hours to Salt Lake. On the way, I found a very baby-friendly hospital with a midwife program, and my sister found me a doula who met us at the hospital.

The midwives here were very supportive of VBAC and I was able to deliver naturally with the help of the doula (and I had a boy!)

So I guess all my planning and research on MN hospitals didn't really benefit me but hopefully this thread will help someone else out in the future.

Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone on our situation. Thanks again for your help!
mcswigg likes this.
#26 of 30 Old 04-25-2009, 08:36 PM

Just wanted to add that Regions Hospital also does VBACs, with two different midwife groups--Health Partners and West Side. West Side has an 80% VBAC success rate, don't know about other practices.
#27 of 30 Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmamaca View Post
UPDATE:

Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions. I had decided going with Generations and giving birth at St. Johns. I even had an appointment there with one of the midwives while I was in MN looking for a house and was excited to give birth there.

But...the baby had other plans and I am now sitting in a hospital in Utah with a newborn.

We packed up our house in CA and loaded up the moving van on Wed. On Wed. night we left and drove 6 hours to Winnamucca, NV and spent the night. Our plan was to get to Salt Lake the next day and spend a couple of days there with my family who were in town for my sister's college graduation, and then continue on to MN on Sunday. Well, we woke up at the hotel on Thurday morning and I got up, and my water broke (4 weeks early). After panicking for a moment, I decided that I was NOT having a baby in Winnamucca, NV (which was voted the armpit of America) and we jumped in the car and drove 6 hours to Salt Lake. On the way, I found a very baby-friendly hospital with a midwife program, and my sister found me a doula who met us at the hospital.

The midwives here were very supportive of VBAC and I was able to deliver naturally with the help of the doula (and I had a boy!)

So I guess all my planning and research on MN hospitals didn't really benefit me but hopefully this thread will help someone else out in the future.

Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone on our situation. Thanks again for your help!

Wow, what a great story! Congratulations! Sounds like it all worked out in its own unexpectedly perfect way.
#28 of 30 Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM

wow! congratulations! I'm sad we never got a chance to meet in person, since I met your husband and he seemed like a cool guy (btw, can you let him know we decided to buy new speakers and hope that solves the problem?). However, your story is amazing! I'm so glad you got your VBAC and you found a last second doula to be with you. way to go!!

R~mama to 3

#29 of 30 Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneapolisMidwife View Post
If you chose to VBAC in a hospital, you can expect continuous electronic fetal monitoring. If you have had one low-segment transverse c-section there is a 99% chance that the uterine scar will not be an issue during labor. That's because a scar in the lower segment of the uterus just needs to stretch, it is in a "passive" part of the uterus. (A classic c-section leaves a scar in the "active" part of the uterus, the part that is contracting to birth the baby.) There is a 1% chance that the scar will open, which of course can be quite dangerous for both mother and baby. The normal sensations of labor often mask the sensation of the scar opening, so providers don't rely on the mother to notice if something is wrong. The best chance of identifying a scar that has opened is to watch the baby's heart rate very closely throughout the process of labor, and to do a repeat c-section very quickly if it does.
I have vbac'd at a local hospital.
I've never had continuous fetal monitoring during labor. Just the intial 20 minutes when you arrive. I have had 3 vbacs at St Joh's with Generations midwives.
#30 of 30 Old 05-01-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmamaca View Post
UPDATE:

Like the others said: Wow!! That is amazing. What a surprise for you two. How big was your baby? Was he really early or were the dates off? Feel good.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page