I live overseas and will be coming to MN for my VBAC birth in October. Sometime around 33 weeks, although that's flexible depending on what people recommend. My first was c-sec b/c breech. I'll be in the US from around 24 weeks. I've read lots of threads here about hospital recs, but have a few questions specific to my situation.
1) When do you recommend that I talk to a provider about my situation? Obviously, 33 weeks seems a little late, but I don't want to burden them since I'll only be available over the phone until then. I want to be sure I'm getting all the specific prenatal care they will want to see to allow me to VBAC (a particular concern b/c I'm overseas and the standard practices are different here). Anyone in particular you'd recommend who might be sympathetic and more willing to "get to know me" over the phone?
2) It seems most places don't allow midwives to attend VBACs... am I understanding that right? In that case, should I just skip finding a midwife and look for an unmedicated birth-friendly OB or FP? (and if so, who would you recommend?) If I go that route, do I definitely need a doula to come with me? (and if so, same questions would apply as #1)
3) It seems VBACs in a hospital require continuous fetal monitoring... is that right? How will that impact laboring? How can I make that the best of it?
4) I'm somewhat open to homebirth, but am not sure if the benefits would be as great since I'd be at my mom's house in St. Paul. I do feel comfortable there... DH is still very nervous about that idea so it would take some convincing. And frankly, I really like the idea of going somewhere and being taken care of... I loved my experience in the hospital with DS, even after a c-section (or maybe b/c it was a c-section... I was very physically limited, and it was great to have a panic button to push, nurses checking on my all the time, room service to order, etc.) If you've done a homebirth, do you think I'd like it given the above?
5) When should I come to MN? I'll be leaving DH in Boston, so I want to stay with him as long as possible... is 33 weeks about right? Or later? I gave birth to DS at 37.5 weeks (but I think that was rushed along b/c of the ECV... my water broke 2 days later). It wouldn't be terrible to give birth in Boston, but I'd rather be with my family in MN.