coming to MSP for birth- advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live overseas and will be coming to MN for my VBAC birth in October. Sometime around 33 weeks, although that's flexible depending on what people recommend. My first was c-sec b/c breech. I'll be in the US from around 24 weeks. I've read lots of threads here about hospital recs, but have a few questions specific to my situation.

1) When do you recommend that I talk to a provider about my situation? Obviously, 33 weeks seems a little late, but I don't want to burden them since I'll only be available over the phone until then. I want to be sure I'm getting all the specific prenatal care they will want to see to allow me to VBAC (a particular concern b/c I'm overseas and the standard practices are different here). Anyone in particular you'd recommend who might be sympathetic and more willing to "get to know me" over the phone?

2) It seems most places don't allow midwives to attend VBACs... am I understanding that right? In that case, should I just skip finding a midwife and look for an unmedicated birth-friendly OB or FP? (and if so, who would you recommend?) If I go that route, do I definitely need a doula to come with me? (and if so, same questions would apply as #1)

3) It seems VBACs in a hospital require continuous fetal monitoring... is that right? How will that impact laboring? How can I make that the best of it?

4) I'm somewhat open to homebirth, but am not sure if the benefits would be as great since I'd be at my mom's house in St. Paul. I do feel comfortable there... DH is still very nervous about that idea so it would take some convincing. And frankly, I really like the idea of going somewhere and being taken care of... I loved my experience in the hospital with DS, even after a c-section (or maybe b/c it was a c-section... I was very physically limited, and it was great to have a panic button to push, nurses checking on my all the time, room service to order, etc.) If you've done a homebirth, do you think I'd like it given the above?

5) When should I come to MN? I'll be leaving DH in Boston, so I want to stay with him as long as possible... is 33 weeks about right? Or later? I gave birth to DS at 37.5 weeks (but I think that was rushed along b/c of the ECV... my water broke 2 days later). It wouldn't be terrible to give birth in Boston, but I'd rather be with my family in MN.

Thanks!!
#2 of 6 Old 03-10-2009, 05:28 PM

rebe,

Congrats and welcome to MN in advance! A couple things that popped out that I can help with.
1. Midwives DO attend VBACs. The Park Nicollet Midwives who attend births at Methodist Hospital do them all the time. I'm sure other ones do as well. If you're in St. Paul, check out Woodwinds and St. Joseph's.
2. I'd recommend starting the search now, and making sure that you have faxed over all the correct records etc so that you're not worrying about that prior to moving out here. As for speaking with a midwife or OB, unless you choose homebirth, I'm not sure if you can do that. But it's always worth a shot.
3. Continuous monitoring is MOST obnoxious when it impedes movement in my opinion, in which case, specifically ask if they have telemetry units at the hospitals you're considering, which means there are no wires to get in the way, and often they are waterproof.
4. There is a birth center in Menominee, WI that does VBACs, and I know they are opening a birth center in St. Louis Park, MN in June of this year, so you could contact them and that might provide a place where you and your husband are more comfortable. Google Morningstar Birth Center to get the number to call and talk to the folks about that.
Good luck!

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#3 of 6 Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM

I don't have specific experience with your questions (except in regards to a doula which I always recommend no matter what), but these posts might help:

TC hospital ratings: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=717975

breech (just in case):

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=894891

you may also find more info here: http://www.icantwincities.org/

Hospitals that do VBAC: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1025823

http://www.childbirthcollective.org/

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#4 of 6 Old 03-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cileag View Post
4. There is a birth center in Menominee, WI that does VBACs, and I know they are opening a birth center in St. Louis Park, MN in June of this year, so you could contact them and that might provide a place where you and your husband are more comfortable. Google Morningstar Birth Center to get the number to call and talk to the folks about that.
Really? :

This is big news! How did I not know this? (Color me clueless.)

Who's opening the birth center? Does it have a name? Where in SLP? Do tell...that's quite exciting!

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#5 of 6 Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM

http://morningstarbirth.com/index.cf...ntPieceID=4093

Do they mean mid-year THIS year? I would have loved to give birth there in that cool house! I hope this works out for them as we really need a birth center here. It's either hospital or homebirth, would be nice to have another choice. If I get pg again and it's available I would definitely love it as an option.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#6 of 6 Old 03-17-2009, 12:49 PM

I'd check out Generations in Shoreview, about a 15-20 minute drive from St. Paul. I've heard that the midwives there are great with VBACs and deliver them at St. John's hospital.

http://www.generations-whc.com/

Jen ~ DD1 (10/2006) ~ DD2 (9/2009) ~ DD3 (6/2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page