Didn't there used to be a TC Mamas Chat Thread here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone interested in joining a new one?

:

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 AM

I am interested. I don't have a lot of "crunchy" friends IRL so would love to be able to chat w/others from here about goings on and stuff! Hope others want to join too.
#3 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM

So what do ya wanna talk about?

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Count me in! I'm 8 weeks pregnant, due Oct. 22ish and still debating my birth options. I'd love to get to know more moms in the area.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#5 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Sure!

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#6 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm in!
#7 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Wonderful!

cileag: My EDD is 10/22 also. We'll have something to chat about!

Brrrrr is right. Everyone sick of winter? It would be nice to hook up with other mamas & kids when it gets nice outside again!

Mama to : Savannah (12/16/2002) & Bruen (3/19/2005). The H = Jason :
Baby #3 Drake (10/21/2009) :
#8 of 83 Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 AM

50 degrees tomarrow! Who's got spring fever?! I do, I do. I think its also a little impatient for our newest lo to be here too- he's due in April!

How about talk about things going on in the area?
#9 of 83 Old 03-13-2009, 11:51 AM

Spring fever? Sign me up.

We've had SO much illness here this winter (nonstop since Christmas). I cannot wait to be able to spend time outside, leave the windows open for awhile, etc.

#10 of 83 Old 03-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine View Post
Spring fever? Sign me up.

We've had SO much illness here this winter (nonstop since Christmas). I cannot wait to be able to spend time outside, leave the windows open for awhile, etc.

Seriously, I am so tired of the Winter, urgh! But hey it looks like it's going to be 56 degrees on Monday!:!! SSOOOO, hey what's everyone's names, where do we all live??? What/how many/ages LO we have?

*Samantha
*Minneapolis (Longfellow)
*2 boys ages 3 and 3mo!

Anyone wanna hang out? I met my newest coolest friend from here (Summer, if you read this you !!!)

How about some kind of playgroup/indoor gym, coffee shop walk around the lakes?

So glad to find a thread like this, I so want to MN but finding it hard to at times. . .

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#11 of 83 Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM

On Monday, if you see an apparently crazy woman dressed in her bathing suit, power-hosing the germs off her kids in the front yard.... That'll be me.

I'm:

Christine
Live in Hale neighborhood
Mama to a boy, age 6, and a girl, age 3

#12 of 83 Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine View Post
On Monday, if you see an apparently crazy woman dressed in her bathing suit, power-hosing the germs off her kids in the front yard.... That'll be me.

I'm:

Christine
Live in Hale neighborhood
Mama to a boy, age 6, and a girl, age 3

and ! I hear ya on the sickies! What does 3 bring? My lo is just a hair under 3 (3 may 15th) and dealing with uh, yeah, 3 yr oldness. . . : Anywy, what's fun in the Hale hood?

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#13 of 83 Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
So what do ya wanna talk about?

Hey!!! I see you all the time in the off grid living forum! I love it there! I so wanna live off grid, and am currently working on homesteading my little plot of the city. I took an urban chicken class last Wed, and am working towrds converting our one car garage into a coop. We have most of the sigs we need for aproval so yeah I'm pysched! I do want to move to the country someday but we may move to the mountians of CO so we'll see! Want compnay some time? I'd love to ooggle your farmness!! :

#14 of 83 Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 PM

hey all... My name is Nisa- due in April with babe # 1. We live in St. Paul. And would LOVE to meet up w new moms in the area...
#15 of 83 Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
and ! I hear ya on the sickies! What does 3 bring? My lo is just a hair under 3 (3 may 15th) and dealing with uh, yeah, 3 yr oldness. . . : Anywy, what's fun in the Hale hood?
My DD is also just under 3. Her bday is next week!

But I've been through 3 before with DS. With him, it meant ATTITUDE. DD's got heaps of 'tude already, so I'm bracing myself. She's such a diva.

Let's see...in Hale we've got some great parks (Pearl, Todd, and a nameless one we call Edgewater). Solomon Park (just a giant field/marsh/woods, great for hiking, bug-catching, sledding, kite-flying) is a few doors down. We have an awesome little neighborhood business block, with a bistro (First Course), grocery store (Kowalski's), and movie/pizza place (Mike's). We also live dangerously close to Fat Lorenzo's and the 5-8 Club. : Another place we spend lots of time is Lake Nokomis, in the summer of course.

#16 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 12:01 PM

I found 3 worse than 2 or 4. We recently made it out of there (Dec) but are expecting lo in April so have one last one to go thru it with.

Nisa- when are you due? Me the 15th but this is lo #6 for me.#1 felt so long ago now!

Oh I'm:

Rachel
Live in North Mpls- not really sure of the neighborhood's name
3 girls (15,10,7) and 3 boys (14,4, and due next month) Yes just call us the Brady Bunch!

I've lived in this particular neighborhood for almost 2 years and haven't found much to do. Not the best area. But have lived all over Mpls and love it. Hope to get into a better area soon.
#17 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Hey!!! I see you all the time in the off grid living forum! I love it there! I so wanna live off grid, and am currently working on homesteading my little plot of the city. I took an urban chicken class last Wed, and am working towrds converting our one car garage into a coop. We have most of the sigs we need for aproval so yeah I'm pysched! I do want to move to the country someday but we may move to the mountians of CO so we'll see! Want compnay some time? I'd love to ooggle your farmness!! :
Awww, thanks

I'm kinda TC-ish, so I figured I'd jump onto the thread. I lived in Apple Valley for my whole life until I moved to the country near Belle Plaine 1.5 years ago. There are things I love about the country, but it's a lot less sustainable than I thought it would be, and it's tough to be away from my family and friends. But I'm having so much fun with my agricultural pursuits. Chickens are great, and I find them really easy to care for. I also looovvee being able to have a huge garden and we've got an orchard started.

You're welcome to come visit anytime. We've got a nice little group of natural-minded mamas here in town, a few of whom occasionally post on MDC. During the summer we'll start back up with a weekly playgroup.

Anyway, I'm Ann and I've got 4 kids, ages 5-9.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
#18 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ann: I'd love to take you up on that offer to come and visit and pick your brains about country living...

I'm Anne, and I live in Excelsior, which is where you end up if you take lake street all the way west until it becomes highway 7, and then take that west until it turns back into a country road. We're the last right turn. We love it out here by the lake, but we're currently trying to decide between moving back into the city or further out into the country. This half-way thing is weird for us. I have two little guys -- Elliot, who is three, and Rhys who is one.

And I am SO EXCITED for spring! I'm doing that Minnesota thing where since it's above 40 today we've got everyone in short sleeves and all the windows open to finally get some air in the house after the whole stuffy winter. We hit the zoo this morning and got to see all the outside bits we'd missed all winter, which was also awesome. I can't wait until it's dry enough to garden and hit the playground!!

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#19 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Rachel- I am due on the 12th. Easter baby. I may give birth to a bunny...
#20 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
Awww, thanks

I'm kinda TC-ish, so I figured I'd jump onto the thread. I lived in Apple Valley for my whole life until I moved to the country near Belle Plaine 1.5 years ago. There are things I love about the country, but it's a lot less sustainable than I thought it would be, and it's tough to be away from my family and friends. But I'm having so much fun with my agricultural pursuits. Chickens are great, and I find them really easy to care for. I also looovvee being able to have a huge garden and we've got an orchard started.

You're welcome to come visit anytime. We've got a nice little group of natural-minded mamas here in town, a few of whom occasionally post on MDC. During the summer we'll start back up with a weekly playgroup.

Anyway, I'm Ann and I've got 4 kids, ages 5-9.

You know I'll be there! I'm kinda thinking I want to stay in the city, I took a chicken coop tour on Nicolet Island and it is a totally awesome place to live, it's like the heart of DT but it looks so country-ish I guess I like the : of the city, so maybe I'll just urban homestead instead The weather is great today, we took the kids for a walk near the river, and I finished painting my front door. Hey what's everyone do for work?

*I'm a SAHM, I also watch a neighbor friend on Wed. I'm interested in becoming a doula, and looking into training for that:

Does anyone know what the birth market is like?

:

#21 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisafiin View Post
Rachel- I am due on the 12th. Easter baby. I may give birth to a bunny...
You are too funny! Aries rocks! My birthday is April 5th

#22 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 PM

I'd be up for meeting for coffee etc sometime. We're moving to Calhoun/Isles and renting a lovely condo there that I can't wait to be settled into. My husband's planning on doing worm composting inside--any of you off the grid/farmer folk done that and have tips?

#23 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cileag View Post
I'd be up for meeting for coffee etc sometime. We're moving to Calhoun/Isles and renting a lovely condo there that I can't wait to be settled into. My husband's planning on doing worm composting inside--any of you off the grid/farmer folk done that and have tips?
Not me, but my best friend does that in her basement (right here in S. Mpls.).... And she's quite the evangelist about it. I can ask her for tips. Anything specific you'd like to know?

#24 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cileag View Post

I HAVE INDOOR WORMIES!!!: They are super easy to keep, and a great way to offset food costs if do a veggi garden and use the super ferile top soil.

1. get a big rubbermaid container and drill small holes along the sides and bottom. leave the top off and put it underneath.

2. buy wormies! you can get them online, they are really cheap

3. add soil, water and organic matter. I used newspaper, leftovers, and plant trimmings

do not give them onions, coffee, or teabags! Loik into the garden forum, theres more info there than the off grid living.

I'm NAKing, so I'll be back!

HTH!

#25 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Hey what's everyone do for work?
I spent many years in the magazine and book publishing industry, as an editor, editorial director, etc. My last corporate job was for a book publisher that did a lot of birth/parenting books. Researching for that job led me here to MDC.

Now I work for myself. I'm a freelance writer and editor. I write/edit about 20-25 hrs. per week, in addition to my mom job. Right now, nearly all the work I do is hard science, history, and social studies-type books for jr. high and high-school age kids.

#26 of 83 Old 03-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
Ann: I'd love to take you up on that offer to come and visit and pick your brains about country living...
Sure! C'mon over The more the merrier! Once the weather warms up a bit, maybe we can have a big MDC mama bonfire night.

OT: for some reason, I've always imagined that you look like Belinda Jensen because of your user name.

Quote:
And I am SO EXCITED for spring! I'm doing that Minnesota thing where since it's above 40 today we've got everyone in short sleeves and all the windows open to finally get some air in the house after the whole stuffy winter.
I did the same thing today. I even wore sandals when I had to drive into town this morning. In my book, above freezing = sandal weather.

#27 of 83 Old 03-15-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
You are too funny! Aries rocks! My birthday is April 5th
I'm stoked for a little fire baby. Both DH and I are water signs- we had a couple losses before this babe stuck- both of those were water babies- which I was excited about... but apparently the universe is going to spice up our lives with a fire baby :
#28 of 83 Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 AM

I too am all about the sandals and barefeet as soon as the snow starts to melt- But our backyard is all mud and Being bigger than a house at this moment can't reach my feet to clean them off when i come in so still wear real shoes (slip ons). My girls were real sweet on Fri thou and made a bridge to cross the river of mud, out of scraps of wood we have in the yard- left over DH and ex have from the tree house they made for the dc last summer.

Soooo can't wait to get out and start the garden(s). We live in a rental but the land lord is ok w/anything we do (anything would be an inprovement) as long as he doesn't have to pay anything. We haven't had a garden here before and are planning on raised beds (3) and large planters for some things. Any ideas on where to get free dirt and/or compost?

I'm a SAHM right now but usually I work part time as a server. Yes I actually really enjoy the job. The only thing I'd love to do more is have a in home daycare- but that's a someday else dream.

This lo is the 1st for me that won't be born in fall or winter.I have a virgo, libra (like myself), a scorp, and 2 sags. He probably will be a Aries but there is still a possibility he could be a Pisces. We've looked into things that make it fun to guess when he'll be born and think sometime between March 20th and the 31st!

Anyone else STILL dealing w/illness? It seems like someone in this family has been sick since New Years. I'm going to try to air the house out today and tomarrow see if that helps. Dh think he may be getting phenmonia (sp) NOT good so soon to lo.
#29 of 83 Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
Any ideas on where to get free dirt and/or compost?
The city of Minneapolis frequently does this. I can't remember where/how they announce it, but naturally the website would be a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
Anyone else STILL dealing w/illness?
Us. We've had nonstop round-robin illness ever since Xmas day. We've had a lovely parade of strep throat, sinus infections, tummy bugs, colds, you-name-it. DS is currently recovering from his 3rd bout of strep throat this school year! Amen to throwing the windows open. We did that all day yesterday. More today.

#30 of 83 Old 03-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Tine,
I think Naturalmamaof1 covered the basics nicely. That sounds pretty doable after all--I was envisioning more mess and more work. :P

As for work, I'm an L and D nurse at Methodist Hospital--sometimes I see great things, sometimes I see things that make my gnash my teeth, but overall I love doing birth work.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page