A hands-off homebirth midwife in MN - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 03-28-2009, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of a midwife in the metro area who routinely practices in a hands-off style?

If not, do you know of one who will practice this way if a client wants it?
#2 of 34 Old 03-28-2009, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a fairly hands-off waterbirth with Rachael McGraw of Riversong Midwifery. No vaginal exams at all, very unobtrusive fetal heart rate checks with a doppler, she was in the house but not in the room for most of my labor.
Prenatal appointments with her are an hour long, so by the time labor came we knew each other fairly well and were not strangers. That helped a lot.
#3 of 34 Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaske View Post
I had a fairly hands-off waterbirth with Rachael McGraw of Riversong Midwifery. No vaginal exams at all, very unobtrusive fetal heart rate checks with a doppler, she was in the house but not in the room for most of my labor.
Prenatal appointments with her are an hour long, so by the time labor came we knew each other fairly well and were not strangers. That helped a lot.
What about the actual birth? Did she touch the baby or you as the baby was being born? What about third stage? Was she just as quiet and unobtrusive as in labor, or was their a lot of talking and/or business going on? You can PM me with the answers if you're more comfortable doing that. Thanks.
#4 of 34 Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 34 Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Give Jeanne Bazille a call. She is more hands-off than the other midwives I interviewed, and is happy to work with moms.

I did have vaginal exams, but I asked for them. She did touch me during 3rd stage, but not much, and I didn't mind. I assume that if I had asked for her to be more hands-off, it wouldn't have been a problem.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 34 Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
Give Jeanne Bazille a call. She is more hands-off than the other midwives I interviewed, and is happy to work with moms.

I did have vaginal exams, but I asked for them. She did touch me during 3rd stage, but not much, and I didn't mind. I assume that if I had asked for her to be more hands-off, it wouldn't have been a problem.
I interviewed Jeanne, she seemed great!! I finally decided that I would try for a UC, always a non-invasive option, in the end Finnley's heart rate kept declerating, and it was in the middle of the night in a huge snowstorm so we made the trek to St.Joes, and had a fab. birth in the water :

Finn had a true knot in his cord + it was wrapped around his neck 2x, I am lucky to have had a easy fast water birth with m/ws then have gotten cut!!!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#7 of 34 Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
I interviewed Jeanne, she seemed great!! I finally decided that I would try for a UC, always a non-invasive option, in the end Finnley's heart rate kept declerating, and it was in the middle of the night in a huge snowstorm so we made the trek to St.Joes, and had a fab. birth in the water :

Finn had a true knot in his cord + it was wrapped around his neck 2x, I am lucky to have had a easy fast water birth with m/ws then have gotten cut!!!
I considered UC, since that is really the type of birth I want. However, after searching for quite some time last time and selecting what I thought was a great hospital with a midwife unit complete with birthing rooms with tubs, I ended up having a very traumatizing experience. Therefore, I have completely lost my faith in hospitals no matter how nice or naturally oriented they may appear, in fact, I still panic almost four years later when I drive in the area that mine is in. I don't want a UC because if something happens that alarms me, then I would be forced to go into the hospital and this would be very traumatic for me. I would prefer to have a midwife so that there is a greater chance of me having a homebirth.

Thanks for the input about Jeanne, I will add her to my list of potential midwives.

By the way, I'm not pregnant yet, I just feel I need to find a midwife first before I will be able to be comfortable. Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming if anyone has more
#8 of 34 Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM

I'm sorry you had a tramtic birth Have you checked out the local API group? I think I read some posts on their yahoo group about a healing birth workshop?

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#9 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
I'm sorry you had a tramtic birth Have you checked out the local API group? I think I read some posts on their yahoo group about a healing birth workshop?

I remember reading your hospital birth story. I agree, lots of good info on the local API list. You can get more info on the Birth Healing wkshop here:

http://parentingoasis.com/

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#10 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info both of you. I've seen the information for the workshop and am considering going to it in the future. I'm also in therapy, and have really been taking many steps to try to work through the trauma - though it is very slow going. What is the link for the API group? Thanks everyone, and if anyone has anymore midwife suggestions that would be great. There used to be a thread here on this topic but I can't seem to find it now, but I know there were a few midwives mentioned on that thread.
#11 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM

Rolla Crandall is a hands off midwife. No vaginal exams ever, ect.
#12 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
Rolla Crandall is a hands off midwife. No vaginal exams ever, ect.
Does she allow baby to be birthed without her touching baby or mom? Does she stay quiet and calm during third stage, and not intervene with placenta coming out, etc.? You can PM me if you would prefer. Thanks for the recommendation.
#13 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM

Have you heard of Ten Moons Rising? They may be helpful also:

http://www.tenmoonsrising.org/

TC-API: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TwinCitiesAPI/

Here are some MW links and reviews I have bookmarked, you may already know about some of them:

http://www.minnesotabirthnetwork.com...eresource.html

http://mamaresource.com/homebirth.php

http://www.minnesotabirth.com/compon...birth-midwives

http://www.childbirthcollective.org/

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#14 of 34 Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Still :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 34 Old 04-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
Does she allow baby to be birthed without her touching baby or mom? Does she stay quiet and calm during third stage, and not intervene with placenta coming out, etc.? You can PM me if you would prefer. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sorry haven't been here in awhile. To answer your questions....Yes and yes....I really think she's the type of midwife you are looking for.

I think her first was c-sec, the next all at home, a few planned unassisted, just her and her DH.
#16 of 34 Old 04-05-2009, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
Sorry haven't been here in awhile. To answer your questions....Yes and yes....I really think she's the type of midwife you are looking for.

I think her first was c-sec, the next all at home, a few planned unassisted, just her and her DH.
Sounds great, I definitely be giving her a call. Thanks for responding back.
#17 of 34 Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 PM

Jennica - I am a birth photographer, and I have seen a handful of births with area midwives. I would say that Jane Kirby and Jeannie Bazille are the most hands-off that I have seen. They would probably even sit in the other room and only come in if you wanted them to during your birth.

And speaking of the API forum, I am hosting a Birth Sharing Night at my house in Burnsville on Saturday, April 25. It might be very healing for you to come and hear birth stories, share your own or just listen... and get warm and fuzzy about all things birth.
#18 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alli437 View Post
Jennica - I am a birth photographer, and I have seen a handful of births with area midwives. I would say that Jane Kirby and Jeannie Bazille are the most hands-off that I have seen. They would probably even sit in the other room and only come in if you wanted them to during your birth.

And speaking of the API forum, I am hosting a Birth Sharing Night at my house in Burnsville on Saturday, April 25. It might be very healing for you to come and hear birth stories, share your own or just listen... and get warm and fuzzy about all things birth.
PMing you :
#19 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Another suggestion. I have heard great things about her.

Nickie Kerrigan, CD, TM, LC
Kiki Enterprises
Helping Hands Labor and Birth Support
Lactation Support Service
Natural Remedies & Ointments
Nutritional Counseling
"Changing Birth, one birth at a time!"
helping44hands@yahoo.com

#20 of 34 Old 04-09-2009, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Another suggestion. I have heard great things about her.

Nickie Kerrigan, CD, TM, LC
Kiki Enterprises
Helping Hands Labor and Birth Support
Lactation Support Service
Natural Remedies & Ointments
Nutritional Counseling
"Changing Birth, one birth at a time!"
helping44hands@yahoo.com
I've seen her name come up before on these types of threads. Only, is she still the director of the doula program at HCMC? Would that be her back-up hospital then? Or do midwives not have specific back-up arrangements?
#21 of 34 Old 04-09-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
I've seen her name come up before on these types of threads. Only, is she still the director of the doula program at HCMC? Would that be her back-up hospital then? Or do midwives not have specific back-up arrangements?
Hmmm...no clue. I know AmyMN here on MDC had her and thinks she is great. She also was recommended by my midwife who retired.

I think you choose what hospital you would want to go to in case of back up. Not sure though.

#22 of 34 Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 AM

You would probably go to Joe's for a non-emergency and whatever hospital is closest for an emergency.

I had Jeanne for my first two (one baby) homebirths and Jeanne again with Jane Kirby with the homebirth of my twins. I love Jeanne. She is an amazing midwife.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#23 of 34 Old 04-10-2009, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post
You would probably go to Joe's for a non-emergency and whatever hospital is closest for an emergency.

I had Jeanne for my first two (one baby) homebirths and Jeanne again with Jane Kirby with the homebirth of my twins. I love Jeanne. She is an amazing midwife.
I just did a google map search and it seems that Childrens and United are closest to me, would that be an option for an emergency? I am not budging from home unless there is an emergency so Joe's will likely not come into play. Is that typically how homebirth midwives handle emergencies? I always imagined they had a specific hospital to go to, but I guess it makes much more sense that you would just go to the nearest one.

Looks like everyone loves Jeanne I saw her on a panel at a BOBB showing once, so she is the only one who I already have a little bit of an impression of. I think I will interview at least three, possibly four of the ones mentioned on this thread (including Jeanne). I will see how they respond to my specific concerns and see who I click with.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions
#24 of 34 Old 04-10-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
fyi, Nickie Kerrigan is no longer the director of the doula program here.
#25 of 34 Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 AM

You know, it really depends on the emergency...

United and St. Joe's are about 1 mile away from each other. St. Joe's does have a NICU, but if there were to be a severe problem with the baby, they would transfer (St. Joe's would) the baby to Children's, which is connected to United. They have an amazing NICU there. If you were to have an emergency transfer for the mother, St. Joe's would be better as you would get better care.

The chance of you transferring for an emergency is very small, as most things are very easily handled at home. Transfers most often happen for non-emergency reasons (hydration, true maternal exhaustion, pain managment) and there is time to get to a more mother friendly hospital, which is why St. Joe's is the "best" hospital to transfer to.

I think that it is a great idea to interview more then one midwife. There are a lot of amazing women called to midwifery and there are many types of homebirth midwives here in Minnesota. We do have very traditional hands off midwives, all the way up to midwives who will break a bag of waters. There are women who want all different types, and they are all available.

Gail Tully (Trillium) along with Claire and Emme are a group of midwives (depending on whether or not you want to have three there...) and are fabulous! Gail is the midwife who works a lot with OFP (www.spinningbabies.com) Nicky Kerrigan and Rebecca are fantastic and hands off as well. Jeanne Bazille is definately one of the most traditional midwives and is very woman led and supports women where they are at, from completely involved to completely hands off. I haven't attended a birth with Kim and Laura, but have heard amazing things about them as well.

We are very blessed to have many amazing midwives! You can check them all out at the Minnesota Familes for Midwifery website.

Sarah

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#26 of 34 Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Where in the metro are you? My midwife is out of Hartland but she'll travel up to 90 miles. I can't speak for her during labor because she got there just in time to catch the baby (my husband's fault, not hers), but during the delivery and third stage she was very hands-off. I imagine she'd be the same during labor because she's low-key with the prenatals, too. I lurve my midwife PM me if you want her contact info.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#27 of 34 Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSerene View Post
fyi, Nickie Kerrigan is no longer the director of the doula program here.
Thanks, that actually makes a big difference to me as irrational as it is.
#28 of 34 Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You know, it really depends on the emergency...

United and St. Joe's are about 1 mile away from each other. St. Joe's does have a NICU, but if there were to be a severe problem with the baby, they would transfer (St. Joe's would) the baby to Children's, which is connected to United. They have an amazing NICU there. If you were to have an emergency transfer for the mother, St. Joe's would be better as you would get better care.

The chance of you transferring for an emergency is very small, as most things are very easily handled at home. Transfers most often happen for non-emergency reasons (hydration, true maternal exhaustion, pain managment) and there is time to get to a more mother friendly hospital, which is why St. Joe's is the "best" hospital to transfer to.
Thanks, that is good to know. I would probably choose St. Joe's first from what I have read on here, and Children's is really close so if there is a problem with the baby then we can go there. My last labor was fast, and if that happens again, the only type of transfer I would need be a true emergency. But it is always good to mentally prepare for different possibilities.

Quote:
I think that it is a great idea to interview more then one midwife. There are a lot of amazing women called to midwifery and there are many types of homebirth midwives here in Minnesota. We do have very traditional hands off midwives, all the way up to midwives who will break a bag of waters. There are women who want all different types, and they are all available.

Gail Tully (Trillium) along with Claire and Emme are a group of midwives (depending on whether or not you want to have three there...) and are fabulous! Gail is the midwife who works a lot with OFP (www.spinningbabies.com) Nicky Kerrigan and Rebecca are fantastic and hands off as well. Jeanne Bazille is definately one of the most traditional midwives and is very woman led and supports women where they are at, from completely involved to completely hands off. I haven't attended a birth with Kim and Laura, but have heard amazing things about them as well.

We are very blessed to have many amazing midwives! You can check them all out at the Minnesota Familes for Midwifery website.

Sarah
Do you have last names for Rebecca, Kim and Laura? Are they known to be "hands-off"?

I've read about Gail Tully and Trillium. I didn't get the "hands-off" vibe from her website, though they looked like good midwives with lots of great info (I used spinning babies for Ds). I don't want more then two people there, a midwife and an assistant of some kind, so that kind of turned me off too.

As for Jeanne, when you say she ranges from completely involved to completely hands-off based on the mothers needs, do you know how this is determined? Prenatally or in the moment? I guess what I am getting at, is it based on how a woman is laboring, or her perception of how the woman is handling labor?

Thanks for all the info.
#29 of 34 Old 04-13-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
Where in the metro are you? My midwife is out of Hartland but she'll travel up to 90 miles. I can't speak for her during labor because she got there just in time to catch the baby (my husband's fault, not hers), but during the delivery and third stage she was very hands-off. I imagine she'd be the same during labor because she's low-key with the prenatals, too. I lurve my midwife PM me if you want her contact info.
I'm in St. Paul, and I am anticipating a fast labor based on my experience with DS. Not sure where Hartland is?
#30 of 34 Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Middle of nowhere Okay, maybe not really, it's like 20 minutes south of Waseca, which is about half an hour east of Mankato.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page