I found a Midwife! But has anyone else used her? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-09-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm not pregnant yet. We are trying for #2 next month. I want to be really planned, especially since we're in such a small town and no Midwives are close to us. So I did some looking and emailed a Midwife in Faribault named Nicki Kerrigan. She said she'll be my Midwife when I become pregnant, I'm over joyed. Was just wondering if anyone else has used her? My last birth was in a birth center with an OB so completely different.
#2 of 14 Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 PM

A little bump for you.

I met Nikki several (5?) years ago when she helped teach DONA training with Gail Tully. At the time I think she was head of the doula program at HCMC. I haven't met up with her since, but she seemed nice and came across as someone who had a very good handle on what she was doing.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 14 Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 PM

I've met her before and watched birth videos of births she has attended- she seems like a great midwife!!
#4 of 14 Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for replying. I had read Nicki's website, but it didn't say much about her or her experience. I wrote her a few emails to communicate. She says she had 9 years experience, but didn't get her education from schooling, more on the apprenticeship lines. I guess it just makes me a little nervous, I mean, birth makes me nervous no matter what anyways I am going to go to school to become a CPM and would love a homebirth this next time around, I'm just afraid that something might happen or something. But I think I'm going to set up a meeting with her in the coming weeks to get a feel of who she is and everything.
#5 of 14 Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 PM

I interviewed three other midwives before finding Nickie. She is the one my husband and I chose and agreed upon together. We are very happy with our decision thus far and she has followed through on everything. She's very thorough, explains things well and works with a midwife partner, who seems equally wonderful. Good luck to you.

Mama to : Savannah (12/16/2002) & Bruen (3/19/2005). The H = Jason :
Baby #3 Drake (10/21/2009) :
#6 of 14 Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieboo View Post
I interviewed three other midwives before finding Nickie. She is the one my husband and I chose and agreed upon together. We are very happy with our decision thus far and she has followed through on everything. She's very thorough, explains things well and works with a midwife partner, who seems equally wonderful. Good luck to you.
I spoke with her on the phone to make an appointment. She does sound wonderful and DH told me that if she makes me comfortable then he's comfortable. I can't wait to meet her. Have you given birth yet or still pregnant?
#7 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 AM

There is a mama who posts here that i know IRl who used her and loves her, swears by her. She is kind of private so don't want to post her name here but maybe she'll chime in. Her baby is now 3.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#8 of 14 Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 PM

I used a direct-entry midwife who went the schooling route for her education, you can PM me if you want her name.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#9 of 14 Old 06-21-2009, 04:58 PM

I know Nickie, I really like her. I have a friend who is apprenticing with her and she's great too.

R~mama to 3

#10 of 14 Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I spoke with her on the phone to make an appointment. She does sound wonderful and DH told me that if she makes me comfortable then he's comfortable. I can't wait to meet her. Have you given birth yet or still pregnant?
I am due in October with baby #3. I have had 2 (every 4 wks at this point) prenatal appts so far with her & her partner. I am very confident in her and Rebecca, and I just know this will be my best birth ever. I plan on renting a birthing tub from Rebecca so I can finally get my waterbirth, as I labored at home before going in to the hospital where it was time to push and no time to fill a tub. It's going to be so much easier to manage at home.

Mama to : Savannah (12/16/2002) & Bruen (3/19/2005). The H = Jason :
Baby #3 Drake (10/21/2009) :
#11 of 14 Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieboo View Post
I am due in October with baby #3. I have had 2 (every 4 wks at this point) prenatal appts so far with her & her partner. I am very confident in her and Rebecca, and I just know this will be my best birth ever. I plan on renting a birthing tub from Rebecca so I can finally get my waterbirth, as I labored at home before going in to the hospital where it was time to push and no time to fill a tub. It's going to be so much easier to manage at home.

I'm glad everything is going good!
#12 of 14 Old 07-03-2009, 01:07 AM

I know Nicki and Rebecca and they are both amazing and talented women! You will have great care!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#13 of 14 Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post
I know Nicki and Rebecca and they are both amazing and talented women! You will have great care!!
Thank you, I am looking forward to meeting her!
#14 of 14 Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

I finally met Nickie today and I love her! She was amazing and am looking forward to the birth of my next babe. Now all I need to do is get pregnant. And my husband wants to by her husband's car that he has for sale we'll see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page