Help me find the right Midwife, Hospital, Doula, & Hypnobabies Class!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I just found out we are pregnant with our first!:

My dream birth would be to deliver at a hospital, have a natural non-epideral vaginal (as non intervention as possible birth) waterbirth with a midwife, doula and my husband by my side. I am also very interested in hypnobabies.

I had done a lot of research last year and it sounded like Generations Womens Health Center was everyones favorite CNM clinic, and the top hospital for receiving the most non-intervention/lowest cesearan rate hospital birth was St. Joseph's.

Is this still the case? If not any recommendations?
Any doula recommendations?
Would you recommend taking a Hypnobabies class (where), or home study?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 AM

I'm a little too far out of the birthin' loop to be helpful, but I couldn't read your joyful post without saying:

Congratulations!:

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#3 of 10 Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM

Don't know if you've researched this angle, but have you considered a birth center? One is opening up in St. Louis Park in the fall but they're doing prentals in Edina in the meantime. http://www.morningstarbirth.com/inde...ntPieceID=4093

Other than that I got nothin', I live down by Iowa

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#4 of 10 Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I ended up having a homebirth, but before that I worked with Kerry A Dixon, CNM. She dose births at St. Joseph’s and Woodwinds http://www.healtheast.org/providers/...cfm?s=provider
One thing to note here though (and this is true for most CNMs) is that she works with a rather large group of CNMs and there is really no way to tell which one will be at your birth.

I agree with callmemommy that a birthing center may be a great alternative if your not interested in a home birth.

I had Karen Bruce as my Doula and she was wonderful. I would highly recommend her, but before deciding for yourself I would recommend attending a Childbirth Collective Meeting http://www.childbirthcollective.org/ here you can find out all about Doulas and you’ll get to meet some of them that work in the area.

Karen Bruce also teaches the Bradley Method birthing classes. Taking my birthing classes from her worked out great because this gave us a chance to get to know her even better before birth. If you’re interested in Hypnobabies you maybe able to find a Doula that teaches this method. This is deffinatly not a must, but I really enjoyed the extra time it allowed for me to get to know my Doula.

You can feel free to email me if you have other questions.

Have a great pregnancy!

Jenn (30) wife to DH (42) and Mama to DS (2). Looking forward to our with #2 due Nov. 2 2010.
#5 of 10 Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
Don't know if you've researched this angle, but have you considered a birth center? One is opening up in St. Louis Park in the fall but they're doing prentals in Edina in the meantime. http://www.morningstarbirth.com/inde...ntPieceID=4093
I actually met with Morning Star Birth Center! Paula, the midwife in Wisconsin was awesome. We definatly clicked right away. Kristin, the midwife that will be practicing here in Minnesota though.....I just didn't feel a connection with her. I have an appointment with Generations in a couple weeks, and tomorrow I am going to give HealthEast Roselawn (was HealthEast Salud Integral).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine View Post
I'm a little too far out of the birthin' loop to be helpful, but I couldn't read your joyful post without saying:

Congratulations!:
Thank you so much! We are SO excited! It is such an incredible blessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennmk13 View Post
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I ended up having a homebirth, but before that I worked with Kerry A Dixon, CNM. She dose births at St. Joseph’s and Woodwinds http://www.healtheast.org/providers/...cfm?s=provider
One thing to note here though (and this is true for most CNMs) is that she works with a rather large group of CNMs and there is really no way to tell which one will be at your birth.

I agree with callmemommy that a birthing center may be a great alternative if your not interested in a home birth.

I had Karen Bruce as my Doula and she was wonderful. I would highly recommend her, but before deciding for yourself I would recommend attending a Childbirth Collective Meeting http://www.childbirthcollective.org/ here you can find out all about Doulas and you’ll get to meet some of them that work in the area.

Karen Bruce also teaches the Bradley Method birthing classes. Taking my birthing classes from her worked out great because this gave us a chance to get to know her even better before birth. If you’re interested in Hypnobabies you maybe able to find a Doula that teaches this method. This is deffinatly not a must, but I really enjoyed the extra time it allowed for me to get to know my Doula.

You can feel free to email me if you have other questions.

Have a great pregnancy!
Thank you so much for all the info! I will definatly be going to the next meeting!
#6 of 10 Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 AM

There's a great Family Practice doc that attends births at St. Joe's. She's a FP doc, but very aligned with the midwifery model of care. She was actually born on The Farm and her mother was trained by Ina May Gaskin. She attends 98% of her birthing moms, and her back up doc is also very aligned with the midwifery model of care.
Her name is Sarah Hammes and she practices out of the St. Paul Rice Street clinic.

I know you were looking for a midwife, but she's a great doc!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#7 of 10 Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 AM

congrats! I had a homebirth so I can't give you suggestions for CNMs, but I wanted to say I did the hypnobabies home study course and had a lot of success with it. They offer hypnobirthing (which is different than hypnobabies) at Blooma in Edina and I've heard the instructor is wonderful.
#8 of 10 Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM

I think that in my experience as a doula, hypnobirthing is great, but can be very difficult to transistion with if you move into a hospital setting. It would be interesting to get others opinions.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#9 of 10 Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Definitely St. Joes, educate yourself so you're confident saying no to things you don't want, and just stay home as long as possible. The nursing staff is what is most important I think, because the midwife or Dr may not get there until the last minute to catch. The nurses at St. Joe's are great and experienced with natural childbirth, so it won't be anything new to them. Good luck!

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

#10 of 10 Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 PM

I had my older daughter with Mary from Generations at St. Joes. I loved Mary and if I was going to plan another hospital birth, I would do the same again. We're very excited to be planning a homebirth with our second daughter in September.

I would definitely get a doula if you are planning a hospital birth. Check out the Childbirth Collective meetings for great support and to find a doula. The website also has a comprehensive listing of the doulas and their profiles.

I have to agree with Lindsay that hypnobabies is a lot different than other hypnosis methods like hypnobirthing. I researched a bunch and found that hypnobabies is a lot more comprehensive and offers more than just relaxation and meditation. The home study program is awesome! There is also a yahoo group which is very supportive and a great way to get questions answered.

Jen ~ DD1 (10/2006) ~ DD2 (9/2009) ~ DD3 (6/2012)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page