Mothering Forum banner

Becoming a Midwife in the Twin Cities

545 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  homebirthing 
#1 ·
Hello all! My name is Brittany, and I'm 21 years old. I am beginning my final year of undergraduate education this September, I'm majoring in Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies, and minoring in Child Psychology at the U. I obtained my doula certification through CBI last summer, but haven't really been an active doula besides my certification births. I've known for awhile that what I want to do is be a midwife. I live in Saint Paul MN, where there is an active childbirth community, but I can't seem to get my foot in the door, and am wondering what you all think would be a good way to begin my midwife training once I finish college?

Does anyone know any midwives in the area looking for apprentices or assistants?

Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

#2 ·
Putting your name in at The Childbirth Collective is a good place to start for doula work. Especially if you're planning on working at a reduced fee for certification or to gain experience. The question is pretty different if you're planning on practicing as a CPM or CNM---
other places to check out for volunteer ideas are:
www.minnesotabirth.org

or you could talk to the midwives working on opening birth centers in the area.
www.morningstarbirth.com--Paula

and Amy Grass in St. Paul.

#4 ·
Are there any study groups you could join? What route do you plan on taking, the CPM or CNM?

I think it really helps if you show you are a serious student. Considering what a super-high drop out rate apprenticeships have, it can help a midwife feel more confident taking you on if you have already been working on it yourself and you can show that you are committed. So, start studying now, start connecting with other midwifery students, and this will give you a way to start networking in the midwifery community.

P.S. I am also starting my final year in Women's Studies
I am going through Washington State University though.

#5 ·
Thank you everyone!

Cileag- Thanks, I'm going to check into the midwives opening birth centers, that might be a good place to become a birth assistant.

Jenn- I actually live right near Peapods, so I'm going to go there this week and check it out!

Hotwings- Not sure about study groups, I haven't heard of any, but I also haven't searched around too well. I plan on being a CPM, and I really understand what you mean about proving my commitment. Go women's studies!

#6 ·
We have just decided to open our study group to more people. While we are all in different places, we are hoping that women that are new to studying midwifery can get together on their own as well as all of us getting together. Please feel free to email me with your email address and I will add you on!

sarah at geneabirth dot com

Sarah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.