Day care and unvaccinated kids in WI. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone knows what the laws are pertaining to unvaccinated children in day care, in WI? The reason I ask is because I'm probably going to be going back to school this spring, and my 2 year old, unvaccinated, DD is going to be going into child care for the first time. I'm planning on enrolling her in the colleges child care, because I've heard good things about it, and I'll be able to visit her in between classes, and at lunch. I actually want to know what the laws are before I even contact the day care, just so I'm prepared.

I just thought of this recently, because it's always been normal for her not to be vaccinated. I've been at home since she was born, and her ped is totally ok with not vaxing. I'm also planning on sending her to a Waldorf school when she's old enough, and I know that it won't be an issue there either, I'm just worried about these 2 years before she can start going there. Are day cares the same as schools, where all I need to do is fill out a form stating she's not vaxed for philosophical reasons? Any links to the actual laws would be great too. Thanks!

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#2 of 4 Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 AM

I don't know specifically about private daycares or anybody's experience but WI has a philosophical exemption for vaccinations as well as religious and medical.
#3 of 4 Old 09-03-2009, 02:28 PM

DD isn't vaxed and DS was on a delayed schedule and hasn't had all the "required" vaccinations. It hasn't been a problem for us at daycare or now in Milwaukee Public Schools. We just check the box on the form they give us for an exemption and sign it. The law I am aware about vaxing is that if there is a "declared" outbreak of something your child is not vaxed for you may be required to keep your child home for somewhere between 21 & 45 days. No one has even questioned us on this issue.
#4 of 4 Old 09-03-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info ladies. I just wasn't sure if the laws that applied to schools also applied to day cares. I know in some in some cases they are different, and I just wanted to be sure.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page