New to the LaCrosse, WI area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-10-2009, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just moved here this week from Columbus, OH. Am looking for info on non vax friendly docs. Our insurance is for Franciscan Skemp...so any info for docs there would be appreciated!

I've been really spoiled in Ohio. We had a network of local like minded AP moms that met for playgroups all the time with an online forum to boot. I'm thinking there isn't anything like that around here. I haven't even found a LLL group active here.

I had my oldest daughter at Gunderson Lutheran 6 years ago, then we moved to Ohio about a year later and spent the last 5 years there....so I could be wrong about the crunchiness around here...but I'm not finding much.

Also, any homeschool groups here? Again...totally spoiled with lots of connections that I'm leaving behind.

TIA for any info!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#2 of 10 Old 10-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kickapoo Homeschool Co-op:

http://www.kickhome.org/metadot/index.pl

Maybe too far from LaCrosse but certaintly worth a mention.

Best wishes settleing in!
#3 of 10 Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 AM

I live in Winona and La Crosse seems to have some cruchiness, but I'm not entirely helpful for that area. I have a hypnobirth class in La Crosse happening now and can ask the other families what information they may have. I could also see if a midwife who I've worked with at FS has any suggestions for docs. Good luck settling in.
#4 of 10 Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 PM

I know 2 good doc's but unfortunately they are at Gunderson. Dr. Frisby and Dr. Her.

I live in LaCrosse and there is a fair amount on crunchiness if you look. I'm sorry to say I don't know any home schoolers in the area, but the food co-op is a great place to meet crunchy people :P
#5 of 10 Old 10-30-2009, 04:19 PM

I'm in La Crosse and I homeschool. My dd is 71/2.
#6 of 10 Old 11-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Winona has a LLL group that meets the first Saturday of the Month 10:30 to 12:00. The leaders name is Heidi. Last time I checked, Viroqua had one as well. Viroqua is South and Winona is North. Both about 1/2 hour from La Crosse, depending on which side of the town you live on. You can check the LLL website.

There are quite a few Crunchy people in the area. But now that it's November, the Farmers Markets are closed up. The Food Coop as mentioned would probably be a good spot to start looking. Might also check the downtown bookstore & coffe shop - though I can't think of their names at the moment. I believe there are quite a few home schoolers in the area.

Place to look for like minded people would be Family Resources, Three Rivers School (Waldorf), Meetup.com might have a group in the area. There is a group in Onalaska though one of the churches that appeared to have some kind of home schooling group meeting there.
#7 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. I found this really cool store downtown that's brand new called Cutie Patootie's. They carry lots of crunchy kids stuff....like cloth diapers, HABA toys, etc and they are gonna have some moms group get togethers as well.

I also found a small homeschool group and a few other people in church that homeschool. This morning we went to the Family Resource Center for the Parent Connection meet up. Not many crunchies there....but it was moms anyway. And they had a cool toy borrowing program and resource center and seems like a nice place.

Does anyone know if there is a Frontier coop group here? I ran one for 2 years back in OH and am starting to itch to get another order together...but don't know anyone so don't know that I could do it myself...but could order with someone else if there is one that already exists around here. It's not like I can advertise at the People's Food Coop or anything. LOL!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#8 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 08:47 PM

The toy library is nice. The play groups can be nice, though the only ones I've done are at the Erickson Boys & Girls Club as they fit my schedule better. Actually they now only have Thursday 11:30 am to 1:00 pm - bring a lunch and let the kids run in the gym and play. Which is nice when the weather is cold and/or wet.

There are CSAs in the area if that's your thing.
#9 of 10 Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 PM

Coming to this post very late, but I was searching the tribe area. If you haven't found a doc yet, we go to Dr. Cappelli at Franciscan Skemp Onalaska and he has been really great about our choices so far. DS is only just turning 3 though. Have you looked into the natural parenting group at cutie patootie's? I just heard about it and won't make it this week, but might check it out next week.

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
#10 of 10 Old 07-14-2010, 12:12 AM

I used to work at the library in La Crosse, if you ask the children's librarians, they might be able to connect you with some homeschool families.

Mama to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page