Looking for newborn baby gear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings!

We are expecting our first in March and are looking for some some affordable infant hand-me-downs for purchase. Anyone looking to clear their home of a co-sleeper? We are reluctant to buy one outright as I'm not sure if it will groove with baby.

I'm also wondering about breast pumps- has anyone used one second-hand? If yes, any issues?

Thanks!
Anj
NE Mpls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 PM

For affordable baby gear, I recommend Once Upon a Child (http://www.onceuponachild.com/). There are several locations in the Twin Cities.

OUAC has tons of clothes too, but for even cheaper clothing, I recommend Arc's Value Village (http://www.arcsvaluevillage.org/). There are 4 locations around the metro. VV tends to have a lot of baby clothes because babies grow out of stuff so quick.

I used a secondhand breast pump. It belonged to a close friend, so I knew I could trust that she didn't have any bloodborne diseases that might possibly be transmitted by the pump. The risk of that happening is extremely low anyway, but health organizations warn against it b/c the risk does exist, and they need to cover their...um...kiesters.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 PM

I've been told the Ameda Purely Yours pump is a "closed system" and therefore safe to get used, though I suppose you need a few new parts like tubing. The Medela Pump In Style, while a great pump, is not completely safe to get used (unless you trust the person you're getting it from).

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 AM

My sister picked up an Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump barely used at a garage sale for me. So far my now 4-year-old is thriving, so I don't think it was a bad thing to do. I did get all new tubing, vales and such for it though. I kept the horns and just decontaminated them well. But as PP mentioned, any doctor, medical professional, or LLL leader will probably tell you not to use a used breast pump unless you REALLY trust the person you are getting it from. But I guess I looked at the system and couldn't figure out HOW it would be spreading disease when I replaced parts. I also rented a Hospital grade pump for a few months.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 AM

I second the rec of Arc Value Village, I just went to the new one on the east side of St Paul and it was GREAT. I was getting stuff for my 14 month old, but I did notice they had lots of newborn stuff. Most of the stuff I got was $3 or less. Gap, Zutano... brand name stuff, even! If the other locations are as good (and there really isn't any reason to believe otherwise), then I would say it's worth a trip.

I used a second hand pump but only sporadically as I work outside of home for only a couple of hours at a time. Got it off Craigslist so I didn't know the mom from Eve although, her house was one hell of a lot cleaner than mine (not that this necessarily means anything about any diseases she has, but still). Medela Pump In Style. I bought all new tubes, valves, etc. I didn't worry about it, but that's more or less how I roll. Strange mix of high anxiety and ridiculously low key.

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 AM

My milk flow was so fast and full with our 1st that I broke several breast pumps before buying the Lansinoh dual pump - it is now going on being used for our 3rd baby!!! It is WONDERFUL and under $100 - I strongly suggest this! You cannot sterilize tubes from used machines so you have to order new parts, by the time you order all the new parts that cannot be sterilized, you are $15-20 in the hole on top of the used price so just buy this one would be my recommendation for $75-100 new!

Arms Reach MINI co sleeper works just fine, you cannot wash anything but the sheet so be careful where you buy it from. Honestly, a cradle or bassinet bedside is cheaper and works the same because the co-sleeper doesn't line up with the bed like it should, it is lower, so you end up thinking you will roll over pillows or blankets and they would fall on the baby and suffocate them, ugh...we had ours for our first 2 and it caused more panic than co-sleeping in bed together!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 PM

I received a breastpump from a friend who used it for her two children. I bought new horns and tubes and it worked great for about six months, then unknown to me, the pump motor started getting weaker. I thought for three months that it was me, that my milk supply was cut in half and now I find out it was the pump all along. I could kick myself for not getting a new one. I think of all the missed milk and now my milk supply is defintely lower. I am now looking for donor milk because of this 'free' pump. I am renting a hospital grade pump and it works so much better. The used pump just gradually pumped less and less as it was getting weaker and weaker. Then for three days straight in the afternoon, I got nothing at all.

If I could re-do it, I'd try the used breast pump and then when I realized I was going to use it a lot, I would have bought my own brand new pump and motor.

This was a Medela Pump-n-Style.

And you can see liquid traveling down the tubes towards the pump, so I can see where body fluids / bacteria could then enter the pump.

Cheryl

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

User Tag List