VBAC options when over 41+ weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping for a homebirth with my midwives but am wondering what options in the TC I'll have if I go over 42 weeks. I'd really like to avoid a repeat c-section. Any recommendations for OB's that would still 'induce' a VBAC mama that late? Would the midwives at HCMC?

Thanks....I'm also emailing ICAN but I know sometimes the responses here come in a bit quicker.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#2 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Are your midwives licensed? If they aren't, I don't see why it would be a problem to go over 42 weeks. If they are, can you have another CPM step in to help out at home. They don't have the same strict protocols to deal with, so they have more room to move. Something to talk with your midwives about.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#3 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM

There is no way I would step foot in a hospital to VBAC even if I was over 42 weeks. NO WAY. Seriously, I was going through a birthing center for my first and we got to over 41 weeks and they said if I get to 42 we have to induce at the hospital. BULL, I told them that if I hit 42 weeks, I am waiting for labor to start on it's own, and when in labor, I'm showing up there, at the birthing center.

No one can make you be induced, and there are no studies that show that if you go over 42 weeks your chances are worse vbacing than with an earlier induction. I plan this time, as we are VBACing, if I go near 42 weeks, I'm going to forget my due date and wait for baby. VERY VERY few babies who are post date end up truly being post term, and very very few of the post term babies have post term complications.

I'd do your research on going over 42 weeks, and think about the possibility that your due date could be wrong, and then make your decision from there.

Chances are, you will go into labor before 42 weeks, most women do, some just carry babies longer and those babies usually need those extra days.
#4 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM

I naturally induced myself with my 3rd- after 2 42 week c-sections. I knew I grew huge, late babies. So at 37 weeks my midwife and I started getting him moving using chiropractic, accupuncture, herbs, nipple stim, sex, exercise, you name it. He was born before 38 weeks, a beautiful easy hospital birth at a puny 9 lb 8oz. I was all for letting labor take its own sweet time but for me, moving things a long really helped.

Maureen

Maureen
#5 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post
Are your midwives licensed? If they aren't, I don't see why it would be a problem to go over 42 weeks. If they are, can you have another CPM step in to help out at home. They don't have the same strict protocols to deal with, so they have more room to move. Something to talk with your midwives about.
Even with the license, it isn't a huge problem to go past 42 weeks. It is only a problem if one goes past 42 weeks and also has a low biophysical profile score as far as the standards of care stuff. Unless the individual midwife has a policy of not going past 42 weeks...

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#6 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was 41w3d with my VBA2C (born in a hospital with an OB). My OB said it was up to me how far I wanted to go as long as NST were fine. I only had one, at 41 weeks.

For me, the only option for induction wout have be AROM if the baby was low enough to avoid the chance of prolapse. I'm not comfortable doing any other type of induction as a vbac mom. And I'm not okay with going past 42 weeks (I chart my cycles, I know when I conceive).

Really it's a pretty personal decision based on what you're comfortable with after reviewing all your options and the risk/benefits involved.
#7 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 PM

I went to Generations for my first birth (which was a C-section) and then when I was pregnant a second time, I began care there again. I am ever so thankful for having transferred care to Morningstar Birth Center--- Paula the midwife is brave- incredibly skilled.... I was 42 weeks 5 days when my daughter was born vaginally. I know I never would have had a vaginal birth if I continued with Generations. After my daughter's birth I truly believe that an out of hospital birth is necessary for a vbac. However, for many people that is financially difficult and/or pretty scary. If you feel comfortable with the idea and you can aford it, a home or birth center birth is such a wonderful option.
#8 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 04:39 AM

The midwives at HCMC would care for a patient at 42+ weeks, including VBACS and inductions. Unfortunately, the cut off for transfer is 36 weeks.

Here's to hoping your labor starts soon!
#9 of 10 Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Got my VBAC at 42+5 with Dr. Hartung at Hudson Hospital after 51 hour labor, we transferred after 24 hours. I would highly recommend Dr and hospital it was a great experience even if it wasn't what I had planned or envisioned.

http://www.hudsonphysicians.com/Medi...GYN/index.html

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#10 of 10 Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_mama View Post
Got my VBAC at 42+5 with Dr. Hartung at Hudson Hospital after 51 hour labor, we transferred after 24 hours. I would highly recommend Dr and hospital it was a great experience even if it wasn't what I had planned or envisioned.

http://www.hudsonphysicians.com/Medi...GYN/index.html
Congrats, Amy!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page