Ashland, WI mamas/unschoolers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, were down in SW WI, trying to decide if we'll stay here or maybe head north. I know there is a homeschool co-op in Ashland, but I can't find it online. I'm also just wondering what is going on up in the Ashland area - what is there to do, is it fun to live there? How is the social scene, the outdoor recreation, the town, the homeschooler/unschooler community, etc. etc.?? Anyone?

I plan to visit as soon as I can, but $ is tight so I'd like to gather info online first.

Thanks!!

#2 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 AM

Hi, I grew up in Sheboygan, then Chicago and moved to Ashland in 1996. I'm not sure where to start. I am familiar with the Penokee Mountain cooperative school, at least what it was 10 years ago. I don't think they have a web site, but if you google it, there are some links, and if you want, I can private message you some names of current homeschooling families. If you like to do outdoorsy stuff and don't mind the cold, there's lots to do in the area. Real estate is still relatively cheap. One thing you should really think about, though, is the lack of jobs up here. You can go to the Ashland Daily Press online and search the employment section and come up with nothing. We are seriously considering moving out of the area for that reason. Also, if you are not an outdoorsy person, as I am not generally, it can be pretty hard to find things to do (except go to bars. There's plenty of those around here!). I will probably go to hell for this, but I take my kids to Burger King, McDonalds and Walmart just for something to do. Sad, but true. Please let me know if there's anything more specific you're wondering about!
#3 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Yeah, not much info about that co-op online, but at least now I know the name. Sounds pretty good. Actually, the main reason I want to leave Southwestern WI is b/c we *are* very outdoorsy and can't find much to do around here, or if we do, we seem to be some of the only ones. Plus I desperately miss having lakes around! And no jobs down here, either. . . well, we'll see what happens, I guess it's worth a visit - thank you!!!

Oh, p.s., what are some main attractions you'd recommend seeing/experiencing when we come to visit?
#4 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM

If you kayak, you can rent kayaks from Trek 'n Trail 'n Bayfield and paddle through the sea caves. You can take a ferry to Madeline Island and go to the beach or hike through Big Bay state park. Copper Falls state park just south of Ashland in Mellen is cool. If you canoe there's a nice short run just south of Ashland putting in at Sanborn ave and taking out at Hwy 13 (if you're interested let me know if you're coming and I'm sure I can find people who would want to go with you). Morgan Falls in Mason is a nice hike to a waterfall. There are tons of nice little campgrounds on lakes with easy canoeing. (I like Perch Lake, Beaver Lake and Lake 3 and can help you find those). Friendly Valley rd beach between Bayfield and Washburn is the best place to swim, and is dog friendly, if you come when it's warm enough for swimming. The water is really clean and there's a great view of Madeline Island. If you come later in the summer there's lots of blueberry and raspberry picking. There's a visitors' center in Ashland which is kind of fun for about an hour. And don't forget Burger King
#5 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM

I just found out that there is a Penokee Mt. co-op school page on Facebook.
#6 of 10 Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Just wondering how your search is going and if you did visit the area? I have similar needs!
We are currently living in Michigan on the border near Hurley, Wisconsin. I always thought of ourselves as being part of WI rather than MI because of the proximity. I did a search just to find like-minded homeschoolers in our area. The one group we have is Christian-based and not very active, but pleasant enough. Not much going on there except swaps and info. No regular activities.
We are planning a move as near in the future as possible to the Ashland area - preferably Washburn - as my partner has found employment in Bayfield. He is now driving 1 hr 20 min working four days a week, which is getting to be a huge drainer! not to mention cutting into our family time! We are looking for a home with some land, as we currently live in town. I miss gardening! And he needs s p a c e !
We are homeschooling our 6 year old daughter. I know that area had a great co-op in the past and I tried finding out about activites (I would have been willing to drive for them), but had no luck with what I did find. Much like you.
I don't do facebook, so can I get any info on current homeschooling families/activities?
We are planning on camping in the area to spend time with Papa and look for homes. It would be great to get together with some folks!
Wow! Karenh! For not being very outdoorsy you gave some great info! I am familiar with the area, but don't know the names of spots. The place abounds with outdoor stuff and there is some indoor stuff, too. I have also caught some musical happenings at that domed-thing park on the hi-way. There are fests of sorts going on regularly, too. Check out the area towns' Chamber Sites.
As far as employment, the ads suck! It seems you get more results by word-of-mouth and putting in resumes where you would like to work. We cut our income a bit less than half when I quit my job. He recently quit a "desk/sales" job for a more hands-on one and feels better for it - except for that drive! A friend found him this job! I do know they are looking for good, solid, stable workers everywhere. It just seems as if you have to be in the right place at the right time!
So, any connections both of you can help out with would be great!
Looking forward to more chatting!
#7 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Spent a day last week in Washburn and Bayfield, WI, looking for houses. Checked out a few, but too close to neighbors. We want a little more space! Did see a few nice places, but they may be a bit out of our price range! Did scope nice areas to live, though.
We had a picnic lunch. Anna swam at Memorial Park in Washburn in a nice little swimming spot at the end of a small footpath. There were big rocks to climb on - something she loves to do - and she made a new 6 yr old friend. We are planning on camping there soon. Today it is 54 degrees, rainy & foggy. Last week it was near 85!
Still looking for other homeschoolers in the area!
#8 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM

This thread is pretty dead, so I don't know if anyone is still looking for information, but I attended Penokee Mountain Cooperative School from toddler age until 17 or so. I'm 23 now, and still live in the area. The classes at PMCS are all taught by the parents, and it was a great way to socialize with other homeschoolers while having fun learning.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Justus

#9 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus Grunow View Post

This thread is pretty dead, so I don't know if anyone is still looking for information, but I attended Penokee Mountain Cooperative School from toddler age until 17 or so. I'm 23 now, and still live in the area. The classes at PMCS are all taught by the parents, and it was a great way to socialize with other homeschoolers while having fun learning.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Justus

Justus.  I am interested in the Penokee Mtn Coop School.  I just moved to Ashland, Wi.  I tried to find their phone number and/or website but I haven't had much luck.  Do you have or know any of their contact information.  Thanks for your help.

#10 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM

Glad you're interested! I PM'd you the phone number of someone you can contact for more info on PMCS. She's a parent, and has been involved with Penokee for many years. I didn't want to post the number here to protect her privacy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page